New barn

Help Support Steer Planet:

BRF

We're looking to build a new barn to expand our operation.  We are looking to build an 80 x 150 foot building. Wondering if anybody has any pictures of buildings they've done? Looking to have it bedded and bunk inside the whole length of the building. We would like to be able to calve inside when we expand numbers

knabe

cleaning out stalls and where to easily dump it and compost it if desired, runoff diverted from the roof and access areas, and insulation on the south side and ventilation are things to consider. also electricity and sufficient amp service. all those things will take more planning than the barn. also consider integrating a working chute area that can process animals as opposed to just easily walking one animal in.

knabe

BRF said:
Does the south side insulation help?

Yes. I got a thermal gun and wall temp on on days over 90, comparing one wall with insulation and one without it was worth about 5 degrees F on surface of wall (inside wall).  I would insulate ceiling if I had $ hanging around. You could just feel the heat coming off the uninsulated wall.

I think a cheap thermal gun is less than $50

cowman 52

Worked in one years ago,  every pen was 4 gates, all had a 360 degree hinge,  you could make an alley any way on any row.  Liked calving in it,  you could throw one behind a gate, one rope and a halter and do whatever you wanted. 

Latest posts