New Beef Feeder Steer Division at our County Fair

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

At our annual Beef Leaders Committee for our local County Fair, we decided to add a new Division to our show, a Beef Feeder Steer Division for next year, 2011.

I am looking for information from anyone who currently has a Beef Feeder Steer Division at their local or state fair.  Would you please PM me with your rules and ideas that you have, that we may glean from.  If possible perhaps you could PM me a copy of your rulels, straight from your premium book/fair book/rule book.  It would be of great use to us.

We would like to compile and evaluate rules and ideas from others and their shows, to make our first year a success, and as good as possible for exhibitors, superintendents, and fair officials.

Thank you very much in advance for your time helping with 4-H Kids and their showing of cattle.

joey219

Could you define what you mean by Beef Feeder Steer Division.  We don't have a class labeled that at our county fair.

blackcows

SEA said:
At our annual Beef Leaders Committee for our local County Fair, we decided to add a new Division to our show, a Beef Feeder Steer Division for next year, 2011.

I am looking for information from anyone who currently has a Beef Feeder Steer Division at their local or state fair.  Would you please PM me with your rules and ideas that you have, that we may glean from.  If possible perhaps you could PM me a copy of your rulels, straight from your premium book/fair book/rule book.  It would be of great use to us.

We would like to compile and evaluate rules and ideas from others and their shows, to make our first year a success, and as good as possible for exhibitors, superintendents, and fair officials.

Thank you very much in advance for your time helping with 4-H Kids and their showing of cattle.

Do you have any feeder calf classes at your fair?

I guess I don't know what the official rules are for or county but it's fairly simple....calves born in the current year shown by weight.

SEA

Beef steer calves approx six months old.  A weight range in which to be able to show.  Show similarly to market beef.  Can be either breed or weight classes.  Cavles may sell in auction at some fairs.  Perhaps a possession, validation, ear tagging, and weigh-in date, i.e.  May 1st.

What are the weight ranges at everyones fairs?

OH Breeder

If you send me a PM I will send you our fair book rules.

Basic- steers heifers born after January 1. They have to have a list of shots. Two sets. One in June the other in August. The set of shots in August has to be done by a vet and the calves are tagged. They can be FFA or 4-H. No weight restrictions. Must be in possession by June 1. The calves shown by weight. It is a great project for those kids who can do one short term. I have started quiet a few junior showman who only have summers to work projects due to sports etc. They do not sell in the sale they go home. Lots of kids in our county end up bringing them back the next year as a fat.
We are starting a Market Heifer division this next year HOPEFULLY.

blackcows

SEA said:
What are the weight ranges at everyones fairs?

At our fair the feeder calves are weighed in and the classes spit based on the calves that are there.  Usually there are some pretty natural breaks in the weights and they are easy to split.

Mike

SEA

OH Breeder said:
If you send me a PM I will send you our fair book rules.

Basic- steers heifers born after January 1. They have to have a list of shots. Two sets. One in June the other in August. The set of shots in August has to be done by a vet and the calves are tagged. They can be FFA or 4-H. No weight restrictions. Must be in possession by June 1. The calves shown by weight. It is a great project for those kids who can do one short term. I have started quiet a few junior showman who only have summers to work projects due to sports etc. They do not sell in the sale they go home. Lots of kids in our county end up bringing them back the next year as a fat.
We are starting a Market Heifer division this next year HOPEFULLY.

OH Breeder:

I sent you a PM requesting your fair book rules.  Maybe I did something wrong and you did not receive it.

SEA