New Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

he is very thick, but maybe its just the angle but he needs a little thicker front legs, very nice though. love the color and overall size of him

kfacres

To the bird-dog...  
Ok, I have to comment on this one..   3 (newer) people have commented on the same comment, and I think all 3 are off base.  Obviously, they did not blow the picture up.  The "more bone on the front legs", I do not agree with.  I think it's a combo of lack of experience in people wanting to say something, and not knowing what to say, as opposed to people actually giving a valueable discussion of the animal put forth.  Of the 3 commenting, One I have never seen before this week (has been starting and making several questionable comments), the other, I know is less than a month or so old, and has very little experience with cattle.  The last, I can't say I recall either...  If these three people are higher and more knowledgeable, then my regard sent- if not I would encourage you (them) to listen with your ears, not you words.  I have been around livestock evaluators for a great % of my life, in combo with many years- I have also judged at many a high level- and not once used that phase alone in a set of reasons.   Never before have I heard that criticism, never!  A lack of substance in that certain spot, may have been used as an ID a time or two, but I guarantee that it wasn't the first fault mentioned, but I bet it was far closer to last.  

No the calf is not overly huge boned, but lets not be petty people!  I do think he fits the bill as a JPJ though.  Very nice/ big bodied kinda calf, not extreme in anyone area, especially frame/ linear height.  I think this calf is plenty good in rib, depth, and substance.  I also think this guy has plenty of ace in him.  off the top of my head, I would like to pick his tail head up higher, to give more of that "show steer" look.  I also might want to lay that shoulder in a little smoother.  now, with this said, this picture's angle is a good one, but only if it has a side view to support it.  From this angle, i cannot comment on the calf's overall balance, structural correctness (appeared angles), depth of body, or extension upfront.  

Bradenh

i agree with the truth. he has plenty of bone and those three are just echoing each other (no offense). if you posted some more pictures and maybe a video of him that would be awesome. all i can say is he would be a very good shorty steer down here in texas

bird_dog

Couple of more pics just not great ones. Calf was born in June and weighs about 550. Just got him of full feed two weeks ago

Attachments

• Julio3.JPG
    Julio3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • Julio4.JPG
    Julio4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 130

Bradenh

he has a little extra clearence off of the ground with that belly. but be patient with that calf and i think he will do you good things in the end. as long as he stays sound which he has some set to his hocks which is great

bird_dog

Show Stopper he is located in Texas. We  have him for our county fair in October and plan to show him as a British. In the pics he is still a little damp because I could not get him blown out real good due to his sketchy attitude 

Bradenh

yall should jackpot him! he will do awesome in the british division. what county are you in? burleson?

bird_dog

Brazoria County. One of the toughest county shows I have ever seen.  We are going to hit a couple of jackpot shows  this summer. One good thing about him is he is a chow hound. He will eat all you give him. I have high hope for him

Bradenh

oh cool deal, we are in grimes county. we are going to run hereford calves next year for jackpots and fortworth. so i might see you in a few british champion drives down the road  ;), will he have hair or will you slick him for county

kfacres

the truth said:
No the calf is not overly huge boned, but lets not be petty people!  I do think he fits the bill as a JPJ though.  Very nice/ big bodied kinda calf, not extreme in anyone area, especially frame/ linear height.  I think this calf is plenty good in rib, depth, and substance.  I also think this guy has plenty of ace in him.  off the top of my head, I would like to pick his tail head up higher, to give more of that "show steer" look.  I also might want to lay that shoulder in a little smoother.  now, with this said, this picture's angle is a good one, but only if it has a side view to support it.  From this angle, i cannot comment on the calf's overall balance, structural correctness (appeared angles), depth of body, or extension upfront.  
Thanks for posting the other pics.. Unfort, I can't really see the top pic in a large form...  I do stand by my comments above still though.  I agree with SS, that this calf does need bodied down from the profile view.  He looks like quite a few JPJ, that I have seen.  Really round bodied, but maybe a touch of depth is needed.  Keep him sound on the rear, and he should compete very well.  I would work that tailhead hair, and be sure to pull it up as well.  
To me, this calf could be a hard one to feed, he appears easy feeding and earlier maturing (Most def JPJ), however, he will need the feed and filler poored to him to drop that belly and flank down- IMO.  To me it just seems that this will be one th needs it pored to him, but held at the same time.  Very nice calf... Show him as a horn!!!

Bradenh

cool deal, if you dont mind me asking, which breeder did you get him from? and if you want to start filling him and dropping that gut. we feed cottonseed hulls and i swear by them. i can see some hulls working wonders for him

bird_dog

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. We are really excited about him. Thank you again. Show Stopper hope to see you at a couple of jackpots this year