New Dr. Suess Maine Genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ashley

The Doctor sires calves that are high performing, structurally sound, thick and hairy!

We invite you to visit www.albertamaine-anjou.com to veiw the catolog and videos of the Dr bulls up for sale.

We will assist with paperwork and delivery to central locations. For inquiries call 306-979-7782.
Happy calving!

Joe Boy

From your previous post I think you are on to something with your breeding.  Please refresh my mind and share with all of us his EPD's, genetics, mature height, mature weight, BW, weaning weight, etc. 

He looks like a bull I would like to use.  Like the photos of his sons you have for sale too.  You have done a good job.

justme

Is this the same Dr. Suess that is the sire to Nelson's Black Betty cow?

Joe Boy

I would like his registration #, as I tried to look him up in Canada and US and could not get it to open.  Thanks.

OH Breeder

justme said:
Is this the same Dr. Suess that is the sire to Nelson's Black Betty cow?

Nelson's cow is out of his father DAINES DR SEUSS 79P 508907 PB if you are referring to this female Daines Miss 42U

Ashley

Joe Boy said:
From your previous post I think you are on to something with your breeding.  Please refresh my mind and share with all of us his EPD's, genetics, mature height, mature weight, BW, weaning weight, etc. 

He looks like a bull I would like to use.  Like the photos of his sons you have for sale too.   You have done a good job.

Unfortunately in Canada we don't have EPD's for the Maines. His birth weight was 90 lbs, yearling weight 1259 lbs, and on test as a yearling his ADG was 4.6 lbs/day. His yearling SC was 38 cm and his calves have above average SC's. The average BW's on his last 2 calf crops was 89 lbs and 90 lbs. He is definately a calving ease sire and we use him on Maine, Angus and Shorthorn heifers. The 205 day wean weights on his 2010 calves were 654 lbs, 709 lbs and 714 lbs (heifers, bulls, steers) - we do not creep this is genetics, grass and momma's milk at work. I'm guessing his mature weight is around 2000 lbs and he stands 56".
Below is his pedigree (the online link appears not to be working here). He would have the same sire as the Nelson cow. The baldie face traces back to a Simmi XAngus cow on the dam's side, and this gene is strong - both him and his sons sire calves with the money strip of white on their face.
              DMCC Limited Edition 4F
          FHJ Special Edition
              PBAR Jamica 1E
Daines Dr. Seuss 79P  **Homozygous black
              Poplar Haven 'Smithbilt 73S'
          Daines Miss Bilt 19E
              Daines 720Z

Daines Sir Cunia 65H
          Daines Sir Cunia 117K
              Daines Miss Copenhagen 148H
Daines Miss Cunia 56N
              Daines Sir Energizer 161H
          Daines Miss Barney 20K
              Simmental X Angus

justme

We had a steer named Sam I am last year, but he's not having any calves (clapping)  (He was out of the Dr. Suess that Nelson's cow is out of )

Ashley

xxcc said:
what kind of calves are arriving from the Sam I Am bull?

I am assuming you are refering to Shannon's Sam I Am purchased by Daines Cattle last spring. I haven't made it out to see the calves yet this spring but talking with Mark they are very happy with him -easy calving, stout and hairy calves. It appears the genes for the blaze face are strong as well as Sam's been throwing that money strip of white.