New herd bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

vanridge

Well, after asking for advice about how to pick a calving ease bull on SP, my husband and I went out to find a new black angus for our herd. We came across somebody who had about 40 calves to look at and he was very informative and told us everything we wanted to know. We ended up picking this one, he has an 88 lb birth weight and his weaning weight was very good too. (I don't remember much of the details because we went through 40 calves and he has to email us the info yet. I do know it was good) So here are some pictures of him and his dam. The pictures aren't the best. His dam is a 4 year old, medium sized cow. She is one of the smaller ones in his herd, but her performance is excellent. 

Attachments

• blackangusbull 001_opt.jpg
    blackangusbull 001_opt.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 585
  • blackangusbull 002_opt.jpg
    blackangusbull 002_opt.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 173
  • blackangusbull 003_opt.jpg
    blackangusbull 003_opt.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 556

kfacres

I hope he comes from a proven, calving ease pedigree on BOTH sides of the family-- and was born in a very cold enviroment....  cuz I'm afraid you might not have acheived your goal if you were intending to use him on Angus influenced heifers. 

IMO, atleast you bought a son, of a very good cow... Far too often people people over look this tremendously important aspect of buying a herd sire...

I doubt you'll get too many positive, or in general comments on the calf- I've found that most people on here frown upon them if their not a hairball and clipped up.  To me (and a few others), these people also fail to realize a true beef bull when they see one...  Something to generate dollars at weaning- females that stick around for generations, and sons to carry on the tradition...  Sounds to me like you've most likely found that- and it will be interesting to see his pedigree.

vanridge

He was born in a cold enviroment, and both sides of the pedigree are easy calvers. The pics aren't very good but he is smooth through the shoulder and he thick and wide all the way through. We were looking for the medium type bull. The one that works on both heifers and cows. I guess you could say we are middle of the road type people. We will be breeding him to shorthorn cross heifers and angus cross cows.  The breeder knew what we were looking for and he was very open and honest. The last angus bull we used had an 82 lb birth weight and he bred all our heifers and had very good results with him. We think this guy is built quite similar to that one so I think (hope) we will be okay. I really like his dam too. I love the way her udder looks and just her general conformation. She has a couple of sisters on the farm too and they are all quite similar. She's one of those cows you never notice because she's always quietly working and making you money.

GoWyo

Sometimes the EPDs aren't that close to real world.  Birth weight isn't everything - shape of calf is also a big issue.  I use an Angus herd bull that is only about a CED 5 and the BWs are probably 80 to 95 pounds.  Heifers have calved to him no problem because the calves are long and lanky -- kind of snakey -- when they are born.  Haven't had to touch one in the 2 calving seasons we have used him.  However, his calving ease and BW numbers would not indicate he should be used on heifers.

The other thing going here is that there is a breeder to stand behind his bull.  That can be the biggest issue of all -- accurate representation of the cattle to help the buyer, not just saying whatever will make the sale.

jaimiediamond

vanridge said:
He was born in a cold enviroment, and both sides of the pedigree are easy calvers. The pics aren't very good but he is smooth through the shoulder and he thick and wide all the way through. We were looking for the medium type bull. The one that works on both heifers and cows. I guess you could say we are middle of the road type people. We will be breeding him to shorthorn cross heifers and angus cross cows.  The breeder knew what we were looking for and he was very open and honest. The last angus bull we used had an 82 lb birth weight and he bred all our heifers and had very good results with him. We think this guy is built quite similar to that one so I think (hope) we will be okay. I really like his dam too. I love the way her udder looks and just her general conformation. She has a couple of sisters on the farm too and they are all quite similar. She's one of those cows you never notice because she's always quietly working and making you money.

It's amazing what a slightly "off" angle does when looking at a photo.  I was concerned about his front end on the second picture as a calving ease prospect but I feel that you have done your homework by looking at the numbers as well as the  bull himself, his dam and her siblings in the flesh.  Looking forward to an updated photo congratulations on your purchase  <beer>

vanridge

jaimiediamond said:
vanridge said:

It's amazing what a slightly "off" angle does when looking at a photo.  I was concerned about his front end on the second picture as a calving ease prospect but I feel that you have done your homework by looking at the numbers as well as the  bull himself, his dam and her siblings in the flesh.   Looking forward to an updated photo congratulations on your purchase  <beer>
Thanks.  We will be getting him home this spring when he passes a semen test. I guess you never really know what you bought until the first calves go to market and the first heifers start calving.