new lautner sire catalog

Help Support Steer Planet:

kndcattle

I was looking at the 2014 new sires for Matt Lautner today and noticed something strange about his pedigree.  He has a bull called Double Trouble.  He is a MAB x Monopoly cow.  Its not direct inbreeding but that too close for me since MAB is a monopoly son.  I don't see how Lautners can promote a bull bred like that.  Does anyone else think its ok to do this.  Also i noticed the majority of the new bulls were sired by monopoly.  I personly think its time to branch out a little bit.  Wat do yall think.

pa showman

I really don't know how I feel about double troubles breeding its close but im just not sure. anyhow on the topic of branching out from monopoly it is basically the same thing people were saying about heat wave a few years ago. I feel that until a bull can produce better and consistent calves, or win more than the monopoly's then people are going to continue to heavily use monopoly.

BroncoFan

IMO MAB may not replace Monopoly but he sure is doing a mighty fine job of trying.

ctroidl

kndcattle said:
I personly think its time to branch out a little bit.  Wat do yall think.

Couldn't agree more, I can understand why purebred breeders linebreed, But in my opinion when you compound clubby genetics consistentcy flys right out the window. The calves aren't going to have any substance to them.

parkerqb7

BroncoFan said:
IMO MAB may not replace Monopoly but he sure is doing a mighty fine job of trying.
Ya and unlike Monopoly and the rest of the Lautner bulls MAB was not very promoted and has worked his way and made a name for himself through his calves.

WB

parkerqb7 said:
BroncoFan said:
Ya and unlike Monopoly and the rest of the Lautner bulls MAB was not very promoted and has worked his way and made a name for himself through his calves.

I kind of disagree, I think at the beginning (first calf crop) he was pretty sparsely used, and had some good calves. And then Rodgers bought him and promoted the heck out of him. Which is why there is the huge amount of calves out of him now.

Back to the original question, I think the breeding is pretty close, but IMO I think he would do well bred to some PB shorthorns or Maines with completely different breeding then he has. Should definitely change em.

RankeCattleCo

Tell me what would make me want to spend $25, $30, or $40 per straw on an unproven sire when I can get a proven sire for $25 and a damn good straw of either MAB, I80, or a Monopoly clone for ~$50. Terrible idea.

vc

JMO, you have all kinds of options out there, you can use any bull you want, yet you question a certain bulls breeding, and why someone would promote said bull. It is clear to me, don’t use the bull if you do not like the way he is bred. I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that someone will use him and if he starts producing winners those same people that questioned the breeding will use him as well.

As far as Monopoly goes, it was a few years ago everyone was questioning the fact that why Heatwave had not produced a son that was better than him, even thou there were so many Heatwave sons out there. Monopoly appears to be that son, and yes maybe MAB may be the Monopoly son that is his predecessor. I can’t help but think that there have been better bulls out of completely different bloodlines that were never promoted, bred to the best cows or had their calves purchased by the right people that could have replaced some of the big name bulls. I think there are many clean up bulls the fit here, since it is believed their calves all become Heatwaves, if they’re any good.

Lautner, Rodgers and the rest all promote some bulls harder than others, Sometimes the ones they did not promote as hard turn out better than the ones they pushed, some that they promote real hard disappear in a short time frame. It is similar to the steer calves that get looked over by all the big traders, and end up standing in front of a banner later, not even the best at it are perfect, but they are pretty good at what they do.

In the end I think that with Clubby bulls most of their better sons are steered, and why not, it is what they were bred for.

pa showman

vc said:
JMO, you have all kinds of options out there, you can use any bull you want, yet you question a certain bulls breeding, and why someone would promote said bull. It is clear to me, don’t use the bull if you do not like the way he is bred. I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that someone will use him and if he starts producing winners those same people that questioned the breeding will use him as well.

As far as Monopoly goes, it was a few years ago everyone was questioning the fact that why Heatwave had not produced a son that was better than him, even thou there were so many Heatwave sons out there. Monopoly appears to be that son, and yes maybe MAB may be the Monopoly son that is his predecessor. I can’t help but think that there have been better bulls out of completely different bloodlines that were never promoted, bred to the best cows or had their calves purchased by the right people that could have replaced some of the big name bulls. I think there are many clean up bulls the fit here, since it is believed their calves all become Heatwaves, if they’re any good.

Lautner, Rodgers and the rest all promote some bulls harder than others, Sometimes the ones they did not promote as hard turn out better than the ones they pushed, some that they promote real hard disappear in a short time frame. It is similar to the steer calves that get looked over by all the big traders, and end up standing in front of a banner later, not even the best at it are perfect, but they are pretty good at what they do.

In the end I think that with Clubby bulls most of their better sons are steered, and why not, it is what they were bred for.
I agree with  you vc and if you need an example for the bull promotion thing I know it's only the first few crops but when lautners took walkie talkie and walk this way to Denver, between the two you heard a decent bit about walkie talkie and very little about walk this way but once calves started hitting you heard and still hear very little about walkie talkie and you still hear and see a lot about walk this way.

ctroidl

[/quote] I agree with  you vc and if you need an example for the bull promotion thing I know it's only the first few crops but when lautners took walkie talkie and walk this way to Denver, between the two you heard a decent bit about walkie talkie and very little about walk this way but once calves started hitting you heard and still hear very little about walkie talkie and you still hear and see a lot about walk this way.
[/quote]

That's because if you have ever seen walkie talkie without that thick hair coat on him, you can see that there really isn't much to him. He didn't have really any rib capacity and had the bone of a regular ol angus bull. I saw him at agribition, they displayed him along with general lee.