New Steer=Opinions Desired NEW PICS

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgurl

March born 7/8th shorthorn i am aware he is very green he is just starting to go on feed as of two weeks ago.  Hasnt had any creep feed and is still nursing a little. planning to wean him in the next week. Honest opinions tell me what you think.

Attachments

• New Image985.JPG
    New Image985.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 165

showgurl

Third time on a halter also, hes doing really well i think.

Attachments

• New Image12.JPG
    New Image12.JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 166

showgurl

one last picture with better lighting

Attachments

• New Image312.JPG
    New Image312.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 183

RochholzFarms

looks like a nice steer dont know how the front looks or how he walks but from what i can see once he gets clipped up he will be a very nice steer

showgurl

he strides out really nice and fills his tracks.  I wasnt sure of what kind of quality he was. i am still really new and havnt done any shows bigger than my county fair.  would i do ok with this steer in anything else with some hair a good clip job and some feed?

lfarms

He is a pretty good calf, good hair, good bone, but he needs to be a little bit more deeper.

Sincerley,

Lfarms

simmyman67

He's a nice steer. Good bone, length, front end, hairy, he could use a little more hip and depth but that could change with age. Just pour the feed to him and hopefully he'll belly down.

showgurl

What kind of shows would he do well at? also what can i be doing to help his hair, i dont have a blower but am getting one soon. any other advice on him?

RochholzFarms

just look around for some jack pot shows near you take him to a few you will never know how he will do till you take him he has some good things going for him

twistedhshowstock

I think the steer definately has potential, especially since he hasnt been creeped and really isnt on feed yet.  He has a pretty good design, good bone, not the thickest one out there but I think he is adequate.  As has been said he needs to be deeper, but he is really green at this point so that should change as he gets on feed.  Advice with that is put a lot of fiber in his diet, cotton seed hulls or beet pulp, should help give him a fuller appearance and add some depth.
I know its harder when you dont have a blower, but there are still things you can do, you may not want to rinse daily without a blower. But a rice root brush can still be your best friend.  Remember to brush forward on his body and up on his legs, and brush a lot, its not just about getting the hair going the right direction, its about stimulation.  Keeping him out of the sun and under fans will help a lot also.  If I remember correctly you are in WI the cold winter there will help a lot with hair, when it starts to warm up keep him out of the sun and under fans and that will help to maintain the hair. Also get you some type of conditioner like Kleen Sheen, even if you cant wash him spray that in and brush it in good, keep brushing until he is dry.

simmyman67

Take him to lots of jackpots and see how he does...if he is winning then maybe show him at the next level.

showgurl

Thanks so much for the positive comments on him.  I will definatly try getting some conditioner on him and get the rice root brush going to.  i am a little worried about the way he carries his head straight out when im not pushing him to hold it up. is that ok? or is there a way of getting him to stop doing that?

RochholzFarms

start by tie his head up and get him ghuse to holding it up then walk him and if he dosent hold his head then start forceing him to keep his head up i have a steer that has the same problem right now

twistedhshowstock

You just have to make him walk with his head up, he will eventually get used to it and you wont have to force him to hold it up so much.  Watch the cows in the pasture walk, how many of them walk with their head up like we want them to in the show ring??? Not many if any, unless something has caught their attention.  So its natural for him not to want to have his head up, repitition is the key, especially when they are young I always keep their head up when walking them. The more they do it, the more they will get used to it, and the more natural it will feel to them. Makes it a lot less difficult to get them to do it in the end. 
As far as what types of shows, it really depends on how he develops, I would say he has a lot of potential right now, but even the best prospects dont always live up to our expectations.  Work hard with him, keep him on a good feeding program, keep him wormed, keep his hair in good shape and haul him to some jackpots, see how he stacks up against the competition there and then decide if you want to go to a state show with him or just hold onto him for your county show!

showgurl

im an extreamly inexperienced showman and havnt showed at any other level other than my county fair.  Im just wondering if there are some smaller or less intimidating shows in the WI MN area that would be good for beginers.  Also what are somthings i could be using in his hair to help him keep growing it and what are some things i could feed that would help him grow the right way.  im on a very limited budget but have a neverending supply of corn and oats and molassas

Shebet21

My daughter shows at 8-10 shows a year in MN and WI, I wouldn't say that any of them are intimidating but most are quite competitive but if you want to get better the only way to do it is go to shows. You might want to just go to some that are close to you and watch to get an idea of what they're like. Ask questions, most people will be glad to help you learn. There is a show in early June in Glenwood City, Wi that is smaller and more relaxed. It's more of a learning type show. No big prize money but no big entry fees either.

twistedhshowstock

Kleen Sheen or one of the many similar products is the best daily hair care conditioner.  Its not so much what you put in his hair, its how much you work it. Keeping the hair stimulated and in the right environmental conditions is more important to growth than what you put into it.  Just pay attention and dont let his skin get to dried out or to oily, both will impede hair growth.
As far intimidation of Jackpots, most Jackpots will be pretty competitive in nature. Mostly because the majority of the people that go to Jackpots in the first place are your more serious, competitive showman.  Dont be intimidated by any show, as an inexperienced showman its not about winning out there, its about gaining the experience.  You will never be prepared if you dont just bite the bullet and start going to the shows.
As far as feed goes. Corn, oats, and molasses are not a good feed.  Personally I dont even care of my feed doesnt have any molasses at all, but it is a good energy source as is corn.  Energy is what the body stores as fat, so high levels of energy in the diet are going to help put condition on him, but to much fat fed to early can hinder his frame development.  Remember that cattle cannot digest or get any nutrient value from whole corn, so it needs to be rolled or cracked before feeding or your just wasting your money feeding it to them. Oats are pretty much just a filler, they dont really gain much nutrient value from oats at all. Oats are a good way to keep them from being hungry if you are trying to hold one, but at this point you dont need to worry about that. Corn is a good base for a diet, but it needs a good protein source like Soy Bean Meal added to it as well.  He also needs to have a complete Vitamin/Mineral supplement, either free choice, licks, or a supplement added to his feed.  I also like my feed to have a probiotic of some type to help with gut health. And I like a fiber source such as Cotton Seed Hull,its pretty much a filler as well, but unlike oats it well help to add some volume and dimension to his center.  They also need enough hay to keep their gut balanced.  Hay/grass can also be a filler as it is very fibrous, but it will give you the typical "grass belly" which tends to be kind of pendulous and unattractive.
My suggestion is to find a good premixed complete feed to use, or find a local feed mill that mixes feed and have them help you design a good complete mix using feed stuffs that are readily available/cheaper in your area.

showgurl

Hoping to get some more pictures today.  Hes been on feed for a few weeks now and it starting to look pretty nice. still needs some work on his hair though. and suggestions for that besides brush and condition?