New to raising steers.. I need your help!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Haynes Livestock

We've got what, in my opinion, is going to be a great steer. He was born in June and weighed 416 a week ago. He is not weaned yet, but after the fair this past week he has started the weaning process. He has access to all the hay he wants, is back with his mother now, and also has a creep feeder. He occasionally eats some of her feed which is Showmaster Heifer Developer and his creep feed is a cheap Southern States starter feed. I believe it's time to switch him to "real feed" now, and I was wondering how you suggest doing this and what you suggest feeding. I've fed heifers but never steers so I really need some insight. I know that corn, when digested, really increases internal body temperature and cattle tend to lose hair.. and I don't want to do that! He's got GREAT hair now. I think he's getting to the point now though where he could stand some fat cover.. but I'm not sure! I'd also (of course) like to work on his muscle definition. Thanks! Any suggestions are appreciated.. like I said, I've never raised a steer and this one is so good that I don't want to waste him because I don't know what I'm doing! I've added some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

P.S. If you like him, he is for sale! He was first in a class of 10 at the NC State Fair and was one of the top four looked at for Grand Champion Feeder Calf. He was also part of a Cow/Calf Pair that was Reserve Champion Senior Yearling Heifer!

Attachments

• IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    432.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 237

flacowman

First off, to switch him to his new feed:

Start off adding a little of the new feed to his old and gradually increase the proportion of new to old until he's completely on new feed.  We usually make this a 10 day process, increasing the new feed proportion by 10% each day.  This is slow enough that unless he just detests the new feed he shouldn't turn hi nose up at it even once.  Instead of a creep feeder I would switch him to a controlled amount of feed though you can still use the creep so mama doesn't eat it all.

Now for what your new ration should be, you can always go with a large brand grower product (such as purina, Southern States makes a decent one to start from, Acco etc) or you can make your own ration much more cheaply by using products common to your area.  As a general rule for steers, I like to feed a 14% protein, 3% fat feed with free choice high quality hay, so fiber isn't as much of an issue.  If he begins to get tight flanked you can always add beet pulp or something to his feed to sog him up a little.  Do this up until you're getting ready to start laying on more fat, (I like about 1000 lbs so you don't get in a bind) and slowly increase his fat to about 5%, either through some type of oil, or corn usually.  Continue this until he hits the mark you want then decresase back to about 4% and increase his hay, this should keep him on target if he is done growing frame and if he's not you may need to keep his fat up.

In my area distillers grain and peanut skins are easy to get and cheap (free plus trucking on the peanut skins for me) so that is the base of all of my feeds. Your area will have different things readily available so you will have different option if you choose to go that route.

Haynes Livestock

Thank y'all! I think it's safe to say that I shouldn't be needing to worry about fat cover too soon.. hopefully he will be sold before that! On another note, what do you think of him? A lot of people at our state fair were interested, and I really do think he's nice!

Haynes Livestock

He moves great! He fills his tracks very well and walks with ease. He's definitely youthful! I can honestly say there isn't anything I could or would change about his movement. And thank you! I love his profile too. I can't wait to see what he'll look like when he's actually weaned and on good feed!

Haynes Livestock

He's our Angus herd bull.. he's a GAR Expectation son. His mama is a Jake's Proud Jazz daughter.. he was a good little surprise! We knew our bull threw pretty good calves in our commercial herd but we never expected he would have such a good show steer. We were mainly just going for a live calf since she was a first calf heifer. We're breeding her to him again this time though.. hope the combination hits again!

JFSC

The best feed I have found is Purina Impact. It works great when we wean the steers we are selling. Have not had a calf bloat on it and it is put in a self-feeder. It has a lot of fish oil in it which seems to really help the hair as well as put a little cover on them. The only downfall is it is high!