New to showing

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ky rancher

My 10 years old steer head butted her a couple times yesterday at a show. The judge dismissed her due to the steers behavior. The day before would walk around like a puppy. Is there anything we can do to make him stop this unwanted behavior. We are new to showing and the kids are having fun. Thanks

Limiman12

Heifers can be rough too......  It may be tough but if she can keep short on the lead and keep his head up and anticipate it....  Kinda beat him to the punch by pushing his head up.

simba

Practice at home with a show halter on and as long as he won't try take off snap the chain if he even thinks about head butting. He doesn't sound mean to me, he just sounds like a typical spoiled show calf showing a bit of attitude.

DLD

Get a clip in nose ring in him, and/or a spiked chain on your show halter.  A quick jerk on either should get his attention.  Also, make sure she holds his head out away from her, always - try not to give him the opportunity. 

bim1986

Ky rancher said:
My 10 years old steer head butted her a couple times yesterday at a show. The judge dismissed her due to the steers behavior. The day before would walk around like a puppy. Is there anything we can do to make him stop this unwanted behavior. We are new to showing and the kids are having fun. Thanks

Sometimes they can get a little on edge in the ring with new sounds and people.  Make sure you are playing music in the barn or outside to get him used to noise.