New Walks Alone Heifer *Updated Pictures Added*

Help Support Steer Planet:

CameronW

This is my new April Walks Alone x Habanero/Herf/Hide-N-Watch show heifer. I plan to breed her in May or June to JSF Capiche or another cool colored calving ease bull. This picture is just after blowing her out after not being touched for like a month. She has really long great hair. Opinions? And any suggestions on bulls to breed her too? I would rather not breed her to a black bull, as I want a show calf with some color like she has. Thank you.

The first new picture is after her bath in the warm weather today and she is covered in Revive. And I tried to get a better picture out of the chute but she was to in love with eating the food.

Attachments

• IMAG1137-1.jpg
    IMAG1137-1.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG1140.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG1140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 290
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG1143-1.jpg
    100MEDIA$IMAG1143-1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 233

BogartBlondes

A really nice heifer! I would not suggest breeding her to Capiche. I have had two calves off of him crossed with my commercial cows and they were terrible. Neither had any performance and both were very small at birth and had no vigor. This could just be my experience, but take it for what its worth. These were both off of mature cows that had had very good calves before.
I suggest breeding her to Arsulu Kool, I have had some very good calves off of this guy!

CameronW

Thank you but I am not sure of her PHA and TH status so I worry about that breeding. But I do like the looks of his calves so possibly if she turns out clean.

OH Breeder

Gargan said:
Young money

On a heifer??

I would stick with what is confirmed calving ease if you plan on making a female out of her. The last thing you want to do is breed xx to xx and bet on consistency. There are plenty of shorty's that will work for you new and old.
I attached a picture that is easier to view.

Attachments

• Walks alone heifer.jpg
    Walks alone heifer.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 284

CameronW

Thanks for fixing the picture and all of the bull suggestions so far. I like Young Money but maybe not for a first calf. But I wouldnt mind getting a calf colored like that  ;) Captain Obvious looks cool too. This might be a tougher decision than I had originally thought.

Gargan

Color sounded to me like his main concern instead of calving ease, thus I recommended young money. I figured he had a good hack!!!  (thumbsup)

mark tenenbaum

ALM CHILLER-has been calving ease for years and years-I saw him as a calf-very impressive and light roan. There are also a bunch of roan Proud JazZ sons other than Capiche-and a bunch of other Roan Shorts that work-Hes hit or miss-but HC Touchdown is definitely Roan, CE-and was a national Champion

CameronW

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am going to spend the next while looking into alll of the suggestions to see which ones might work best on her.

Barry Farms

I would suggest finding a CALVING EASE baldy/chromed up simmi bull instead of a clubby bull for her first calf if you want her 2nd calf to be one time.

CameronW

Barry Farms said:
I would suggest finding a CALVING EASE baldy/chromed up simmi bull instead of a clubby bull for her first calf if you want her 2nd calf to be one time.
Thanks but do you have any specific suggestions. I can sort of read epds but I am still new to this and do not know all of the things necessary when looking into a bull for a heifer. But I am trying my best to learn and not ruin this heifer.