Nintendo DS or PSP

Help Support Steer Planet:

Will

My son who is almost 8 wants one or the other.  A couple months ago I said I was not going to buy him one that he would have to figure out how to get it him self.  So he has picked up cans, worked for his grand parents and one nieghbor and now has more than enough to buy one.  But I know nothing about that kind of stuff so I was hoping some one could tell me which is better.

russfarm

We have both in our house.  Not sure which one is "better", but if you get the DSI, it's got a camera built into it.  I think the games may be cheaper for the Nintendo also.  For an 8 yr old, I would personally do the DS/DSI.  My daughter who is 7, got a DS for Christmas and  uses it pretty often.

lightnin4

One of my friend's sons has both and seems to like the DS better for just playing games.  The PSP will do online gaming and hold music (like an MP3 player) and pictures.  I think it also plays movies (specific to the PSP).  I'm not sure if the DS does any of this.

My 12 and 9 year old boys used to love their Nintendo DS games.  However, last month they took some of their winnings from a jackpot show and each bought an iPod touch.   Now that's all they play with.  That may be the gaming platform of the future.  Runs iPhone apps, lots of downloadable games, not as sophisticated as DS or PSP, but a lot lower cost per game.

Just my two cents.

shortyjock89

We have both, and for an 8 year old, I think he'd like the DS better. Just more games that he'd probably like (if he's like my brothers at all).  A DS can still get online via a Wi-Fi connection, just so ya know.  I personally wouldn't mind having both haha. 

FutureBreeder2013

Id go with a PSP

They are nice for long trips because you can buy movies to play out of them and they have real good graphics on the games, their pretty much a mini version if the regular PlayStations.

rtmcc

wowcows said:
I boought my kid a heifer to play with!
Ours had to rase their own.  Sure wish they had an Uncle Harry!

They do use the wii a bit if friends come over.

knabe

tell him to keep working and get a wii.

my daughter has a ds and the availability of title is low as far as i can tell.

the wii mario kart is awesome.  also on the wii, there seems to be "easier" ways to find hidden stuff in the mazes.

my daughter watches the youtube videos and then tries it out.

shortyjock89

knabe said:
tell him to keep working and get a wii.

my daughter has a ds and the availability of title is low as far as i can tell.

the wii mario kart is awesome.  also on the wii, there seems to be "easier" ways to find hidden stuff in the mazes.

my daughter watches the youtube videos and then tries it out.

Portability my friend. Wii can't go the places that DS and PSP can. 

ploughshare

If you choose the Nintendo go with the DSi over the DS Lite.  The DSi can store downloaded games from a wireless network.  The DS lite can not.  My son has a DS lite and I wish we would have purchased the DSi.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I like my Nintendo DS pretty well. It's pretty fun but the graphics aren't that good. I still prefer my old PS2 over any other game systems.

I don't have the PSP but it looks neat too.