NLC Mr. Upgrade calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

Need some reports on babies...have heard them across the board.  What do the SPer's that have used him or have seen babies think?

Should we still flush to him?  Got a pretty darn good Angus cow that we are giving shots to.

Thanks for any opinions.

rtmcc

Somebody must have seen or heard something by know.  He got flushed and bred to a lot of great cows.  There must be a couple out there. 
Or is it a national secret?

Ron
<cowboy>

husker1

I'm with you, Ron....

I've heard a couple reports, but want more information.

LinZ

I agree.. A little odd considering how much he was used that there aren't any calves to be seen or no one knows of any?? As much as he was used I hope he doesn't flop...

LinZ

PowersCattle

My opinion is no news is bad news for a bull.  I personally have not heard good things from some pretty big time breeders.  He took a pretty good pic with some big names behind him, but all that does not matter to me if no one drops anything good on the ground.  There is bound to be a good one somewhere, heck my herd bull would throw a few good ones also being used on that kind of quality. (lol)

kysimtal

Have heard the are very pretty...also heard birthweights are all over the place, some very small and some fairly big.  Too early to tell, but there are bound to be some good ones with the cows he has been mated too.

jackpotcattle

We had 17. Bred him to every kind of cow we have.  He seems to be working alot like his daddy at our place. calves come small (except out of clubbies) made smooth with good hips and tops. They are better haired, fronted, and boned, but very comparable to our Olie's. Hopefully the hfrs make as good of mommas as the Olies cuz we only got 4 bulls. Ppl might talk trash about them if they saw them now, but they are my kind of cattle made right and have room to grow and get better. I think there are too many pple that think the have to look like a damn clubby when they are born.
I have no ownership in the bull, just bought a semen package. Probably not going to sell any calves, but if we do it won't be until next winter at a state simmi sale. Oh wait who am I kidding, if someone offers us enough EVERYTHING is for sale. ;D

rtmcc

Thanks for the reply jackpot!  Good to here he is breeding consistent for you.  I haven't had the opportunity to see any yet and am curious about how they are coming along.
I agree, they sure don't all have to look like clubbies (or a fuzzy SH for that matter).  There is a lot more to real world beef cattle and the ones that keep the beef industry in business.  Guess thats why we like the breeding heifer deal more than the steer deal.

Keep us posted.
Any more input?

Ron

husker1

oakie said:
So whats the word on bw's?

We now have plenty of experience with Upgrade.  Calves very nicely.  Our calves have plenty of style with good muscle and body.  Like him as well as any bull we have used in the last several years.  I'm thinking he should work fine on heifers too. 

Still waiting for the smokin' baldy heifer out of him that we've been waiting for though.  All of ours have been solid black.

Now, if the milk epd comes back, he will be the deal!

LN

Thanks for the update. My first ones are coming in September. Also used his 3/4 son MCM Top Grade. Can't wait!

firesweepranch

husker1 said:
oakie said:

We now have plenty of experience with Upgrade.  Calves very nicely.  Our calves have plenty of style with good muscle and body.  Like him as well as any bull we have used in the last several years.  I'm thinking he should work fine on heifers too. 

Still waiting for the smokin' baldy heifer out of him that we've been waiting for though.  All of ours have been solid black.

We have a bred Upgrade, due in November. Are there any heifers of his in production yet? Makes you wonder why his numbers are low. We got our Upgrade from Cork Cattle sale in the fall, and could not be happier with her. She has a wonderful attitude, a gorgeous head (she is a half blood), and can get fat on air  ;D We had a hard time getting her bred (AI'd 4 times), and had to run her with a bull, but we are still excited about that calf. Can not wait! We will keep you updated on how good of a mom she makes...

jackpotcattle

husker1 said:
oakie said:

Calved out our first Upgrade hfrs a month ago and doesn't look as though milk will be a problem. very nice udders with small teats. Their calves look really good also. now to find something else to use as it seems the simmental breed has flooded themselves with another genetic pool.

A.I.GUY

Well I would say if you have not heard much about his progeny, then you must have your head buried or at least you dont follow performance cattle sales around the country because there have been a lot of his progeny selling all over the place and several sons have been put into A.I. studs. If you are going to make show cattle with him you better protect him with a clean fronted cow, but if you need to add performance and pounds of product this is the bull to use. As far as birth weights go I would not use him on many hfrs. but he is no cow killer either.