non aerosol show

Help Support Steer Planet:

cmt

if one where to fit an animal with no aerosol products what would you use??

justintime

The Canadian Angus Association has banned the use of any aeresol products  at their sanctioned shows, including the Royal Winter Fair, Edmonton Farmfair and Canadian Western Agribition. This has been brought about by an increasing number of health related complaints from fitters, exhibitors and the general public. From what I was told, some leading breeders lobbied hard for this decision to be made, as they could no longer exhibit or attend shows if aerosol products were used.

This decision has created quite a stir in the industry, and it sounds like several other breeds are now trying to decide if they will follow suit. Personally, I was thinking that I was allergic to some chemical in the wood chips that are used at the shows but I am now wondering if it may be the aerosol products as I absolutely feel rotten after show days and it usually takes me a few weeks to get back to feeling normal again. I knew before that I have allergies to something in nail polishes, some glues and hair sprays. It is much worse now that it used to be.

One breeder told me that if he was to walk through the Angus barn during the show, he would end up being taken to the emergency at the hospital because of how his body reacts to the chemicals in the air. It is going to interesting to see how this plays out. So far, the only people I have heard really complain are the fitters.... but then some of them howled just as loud, when we quit using 3M super glue on tails and balling them into a rock hard beehive.

cmt

I think eliminating the paint might of been a better compromise but I guess we'll see how it goes.found it interesting that the caa is allowing aerosols at the world forum.I guess it won't be a health risk at this time???Any other fitting suggestions???????

GoWyo

I hate the adhesives and the paints and the idea of kids down there inhaling that crap when they are fitting cattle.  Thought about developing a gas mask and printing "Sullivan" on it and could maybe make enough to retire.  Blow and go only could certainly even it up a little for the amateurs.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Take some supper strong hair Gel and dilute it in a Fine mist spray bottle. That seems to get the job done for me if i got the time to let it dry in. Zoombloom the body and blow the hell out of that hair. I like the fitting part of it its what makes it fun for alot of us. Going to a show everyone usually knows who has the top notch cattle, the main decider is the fitting. Thats that makes a truly good show team, good fitting. Look at Australia and England their cattle look like range cattle when our boys look at them,  that just takes the fun out of it. Hell if i want to go see range cattle then i can just hit up the back roads and start placing by pasture. If i go to a show and pay to see show cattle, im gonna wanna see the friggen MonaLisa of show cows.

yousesteers

if it is no fit we usually blow and brush if you work the hair at home it will pay off we had a steer last year took to 2 no fit one was no aerosol and the other no product at all the no aersol we put in kleen sheen and zoom bloom and worked the hair we got accused of using primetime in his legs except we had him in the chute in the middle of the barn the entire time the other one we just blowed and brushed he still looked good enough to win Grand I like the fitting you can change an animal so much as for leveling it for the ametures well the rest of us learned from some one find a good fitter and see if they will show you some stuff then practice we used to fit at home just for practice and even a no fit they are still clipped and that can make a larger difference than pulling legs and such  just my opinion

BCCC

GoWyo said:
Blow and go only could certainly even it up a little for the amateurs.
Haha not even slightly will it. The amatures aren't going to be working the hair like the big boys. The key to No fit shows is have that hair trained, if its not trained don't plan on it looking that great. The big boys cattle will always look better no matter what, why else are they the biggens?

farmboy

ive never tried it, but i did use to use it on my hair when it was longer.... get some of the vaseline gel thick greasy stuff. it will hold. that stuff would probably work really well on legs

stangs13

I recently heard of a wax that people are using, I heard it works really well at holding legs and it comes out easy!

jtho3c

We use shaving cream. Coat the legs with it, then spray on some non aerosol Aussie hair spary and it will look just like you used adhesive. Some people may hate you for it, but you didn't break the rules.

cmt

so a can of shaving cream is non aerosol???I think it will be quite interesting to see what gets pulled out of all the tack boxes??????thanx for the replies