Northern Improvement

Help Support Steer Planet:

Heavy Weight

I have  a couple red simmi cows I'm looking to AI to make replacements. They have plenty of bone, guts, and milk. I need something that will help with teat size and maybe put a little more structure to the bag. I was thinking to make good sim angus replacements northern improvement would be a good choice?

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    1,015.1 KB · Views: 202

OH Breeder

In my own personal experience, Northern Improvement will add some grow and increase frame size a tick. OCC Legend will not add frame size but will give you lots of body depth and more muscle shape maybe little more dimension in rib shape. Northern Improvement can make one pretty in a hurry. For an angus we have never had some much hair out of one like NOrthern Improvement. Its hard to beat the maternal power of the OCC genetics. You can't go wrong with NI.
JMO

lrinck

Heavy Weight,

Making replacements with NI is a good idea. These cattle are very attractive, sound, and functional. I think on a simmi based cow it could be good, assuming the power is coming from the cow. Another idea I would give you to make some nice replacements is New Design 878. This bull is notorious for making nice females that have great udder designs.  As far as what OH Breeder said on the OCC breeding I would caution you. Although these cattle are moderate, thick and energy saving its because they are lower growth and milk. The teat size is right, yet I have found that their udders are more fat then productive.  

Till-Hill

If you use 878 you better hope the power come from the cow cuz he ain't gonna give you any. Lots of angus bulls will make great replacements out of your simmi cows. I don't like NI personally and if you have plenty of milk then go to the old favorite straight from his owners mouth last year he told me if he only had one bull to pick from in the world to breed cows to it would be LT Bando 9074 and Genex says daughters have beautiful udders and docile dispositions. I seen that in person at the LT Ranch last year.

Bulldaddy

We have females by 878, OCC Embalzon, Occ Legend in production in our herd and all of are great cows and those bulls cross very well with simmental cows.  I have also breed some heifer to OCC Missing Link and will have calves on the ground out of that mating this fall.

JWW

we used OCC Magnitude with great success on powerful stout ~ 6-7 frame simmi cows to downsize them a little bit.. the result was some of htebest cattle i have raised. they have nice udders too.. seems like they keep the power and stoutness of the simmi and the broodyness, and the fleshyness of the angus ... make great cattle that can get bred to anything in my mind.

JWW

88AG

We are going to try and breed our red simmi heifer to NI she is quite powerful and we are hopeing NI will make her front third a little more attractive. Hopefully we will get her bred.