Nose Ring for my Steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Barry Farms

I have not really made any long lasting progress with that steer who has been head shy. Now he is about 200 pounds heavier, smarter, and maybe a little meaner. It was suggested by someone else that we show with that we put a nose ring in him. Is that allowed or 'proper' etc.? ???

Tallcool1

It depends upon your County/State.  Some State Fair rules specifically say that nose rings are allowed ONLY for bulls.

I believe there was a steer in the Champion Drive at Denver this year with a nose ring. 

Will it work?  I don't have any idea.  I have absolutely no experience with it.

GoWyo

A removable nose bug will work, but only on cattle that are just disrespectful.  If they get shook up and go nuts the bug is worthless and just gets their adrenaline pumping that much harder.  Saw it happen at a little jackpot a couple of weeks ago - big strong kid with a nutso steer going to the scale to weigh in and the nose bug didn't even phase him.  Ran off and they had to get him into a pen and just leave him there.  Basically, if you have a steer that is gentle enough, but has figured out how to push you around or stick his head down and go wherever he wants, the nose ring or bug will work to keep his attention and that is about the only time it will work.

BTDT

Why would you risk injuring not only yourself, but another innocent person just to show a steer. 
If you have worked with him the best you can, and he is (in your words) "200 pounds heavier, smarter and MEANIER", than it is time to admit the animal just isn't "Show material" and sell it to slaughter. 

Please do not risk serious injury to another person just to show the calf and "win". 

I wish you luck and hope you decide to do the right thing (leave it at home!).

DLD

We've used bugs (clip in nose leads) with varying degrees of success - some cattle pay attention to them, some don't.  Nose rings seem to be the same way.

Something else that has worked well for us is the spiked lead chain on the show halter.  It's not nearly as rough as some people imagine (wrap one around your arm and pull it tight - I did before I'd ever put one a calf), but it does get their attention.

vcsf

You are saying the steer is head shy and if your definition is at all the same as mine I would not even consider a permanent nose ring for this reason.  I have seen a number of bulls that getting a nose ring will cause them to become somewhat head shy and I have never seen it improve one in that sense.  You also need to remember that if you put in a ring it needs to be left completely alone for a significant amount of time to fully heal before you put any pressure on it or you may cause even more problems.  That has been my experience anyways.

Trying a humbug on the steer is a different matter and may help you out and there is very little chance of it doing any long term harm.