Nose ring in a steers nose

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chris Bingham

I dont want to sound like a bad person but the steer i mentioned in my first post was a good 1250 - 1300 pounds when he started ducking his head. I left him tied up for a couple days straight. It stopped it for a little bit, but he soon went back to doing it again. It took 2 of us to load him on and off the trailer at his last show, but right before we showed we used calf calm and it seemed to work well.

On the whole halter thing- I let them drag them for a couple of days before we start tieing them up. It is all in personal opinion on that.

CAB

I've never heard of startint too early breaking a calf. As far as I'm concerned the bigger they are, usually the stronger and if you can't hold them when they are small, you're sure not going to have as good of a chance when they get bigger. When I first start leading one, I try to stay close to a fence on the calves right side just for the reason that I can almost always guide him into the fence to slow him/her down if need be, plus as Chambero said, you have a fixture to help you out. I wouldn't hesitate to use a ring if that's what you think may help. The rings that I have put in, in the past have been a hinged affair that is sharp when opened up and once through the nose closes and you put a small screw through it to keep it from opening up. It would be easy to remove later.  I've let'em drag halters and I have taken them off. Stierwalt doesn't like to leave them on for Chambero's stated comment about being ready to go to work, and if you take them off after a work out they will eventually get trained so that it's no big deal to catch them when you want to work them, but whatever floats your boat as far as I'm concerned. Brent

inthebarnagain

redwingfarm said:
inthebarnagain said:
All of the above and NEVER LET THEM DRAG A HALTER!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:  That is the absolute worst thing you can do for one that drops its head, that just encourages it. 
Whoa here fella, we have had exceptionally good luck by letting calves drag halters, we generally do this for 7-10 days before we even think about tying the calves up, You really shouldn't make a blanket statement like that because what works for you may not work for me, not to be rude but who died and made you all knowing??

A better way of approaching this problem with the head down steer is to give your ways that work and not condemn other methods, whew with that off my chest

As to the calf with the old head down tricks you might rewards when the calf behaves and when he misbehaves immediately tie him high and leave him until he gets tired, he will either learn or ultimately go to the feedlot, either way don't let you daughter get hurt
good luck

I have broke dozens of calves.  The ONLY time I have had trouble with calves throwing heads down and running away is when:

1)  Someone had already tried to break the calf by tying it up to let it "fight it out".  This just makes the ears and nose sore so when you put pressure on the halter to get them to lead, you are hurting them, they will most likely fight and do anything to get away. 

2)  They were allowed to drag halters.  Yes, they do learn to stop when they step on it.  They also learn that if they pull a little harder they can keep going because the halter will eventually slide, and it doesn't take a whole lot of pressure, just drop the head and keep going.  And since the pressure makes them stop what do you have when you pick up the end of the rope and apply pressure to get them to follow you???  Aren't you just doing the opposite of what dragging the halter was supposed to teach them?  Those are usually the ones that bull up and won't move without someone getting behind them because they have been dragging a halter that had pressure applied for stopping.  Don't get me wrong, I have had some smart cattle, but most of them can't reason that one out. 

And by the way, this "fella" is a woman who breaks calves with her 10 year old daughter.  We use methods that work for us, every time.  My daughter weighs less than 60 pounds and has helped me break calves since she started in 4-H 3 years ago.  We have sold calves to other kids for 4-H that were broke by our methods.  Our calves have yet to be the ones that are lapping the ring or giving the kids any trouble because they have complete respect for the halter because it isn't left on them for their heads to get numb too. 

Think about it, when you first started wearing a watch or ring or for the women a bra.  The first week, that was the most annoying thing you had put on your body and you noticed it.  But after a while you don't even realize it is on.  Same with leaving a halter on a calf, that skin thickens up and they won't even notice you pulling on it.  Which isn't a big deal if you are big enough to hold an 800 pound calf on strength alone, my daughter isn't. She has to rely on the animal respecting the halter. 

Another thing, when breaking a calf I always use a ring halter that will completely release when I let off pressure.  Cattle figure out rewards really quick.  I also don't tie them up until they respect the halter enough to follow me in the stall and they have tried to get away and I could easily turn their heads and stop them.  There is no fight when you tie those calves up, especially if you feed them when you tie them up. 

They also figure out that if they don't get fed until they have a halter on, they will do their best to get the halter on, I have seen that first hand with my daughter's show heifers last week.  I had thrown their halters over their stall gate and was getting their food together.  They were trying to push their heads in the halters and actually had them pulled over their heads. 

Sorry if I offended you by my "blanket statement" about dragging halters, it offends me that people think they have to break calves by just letting them "fight it out" or out muscling them.  Sorry I tried to help someone by making the calf breaking any easier on them so they will have a more respectful calf.  That is why we try to raise everything that my daughter shows, I can't afford to have one that someone else has dominated to break, her 60 pounds wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of fighting it if it came down to that.  That is also why we sell quite a few calves and I have quite a few calves that people bring to me to break, me, not my husband. 

CAB

Usually some type of homemade riggin. Halter with rings weaved in and a 2 to 3ft lead sprap between the 2.

Bawndoh

[/quote]
Whoa here fella, we have had exceptionally good luck by letting calves drag halters, we generally do this for 7-10 days before we even think about tying the calves up, You really shouldn't make a blanket statement like that because what works for you may not work for me, not to be rude but who died and made you all knowing??

A better way of approaching this problem with the head down steer is to give your ways that work and not condemn other methods, whew with that off my chest

As to the calf with the old head down tricks you might rewards when the calf behaves and when he misbehaves immediately tie him high and leave him until he gets tired, he will either learn or ultimately go to the feedlot, either way don't let you daughter get hurt
good luck
[/quote]

I have broke dozens of calves.  The ONLY time I have had trouble with calves throwing heads down and running away is when:

1)  Someone had already tried to break the calf by tying it up to let it "fight it out".  This just makes the ears and nose sore so when you put pressure on the halter to get them to lead, you are hurting them, they will most likely fight and do anything to get away. 

2)  They were allowed to drag halters.  Yes, they do learn to stop when they step on it.  They also learn that if they pull a little harder they can keep going because the halter will eventually slide, and it doesn't take a whole lot of pressure, just drop the head and keep going.  And since the pressure makes them stop what do you have when you pick up the end of the rope and apply pressure to get them to follow you???  Aren't you just doing the opposite of what dragging the halter was supposed to teach them?  Those are usually the ones that bull up and won't move without someone getting behind them because they have been dragging a halter that had pressure applied for stopping.  Don't get me wrong, I have had some smart cattle, but most of them can't reason that one out. 

And by the way, this "fella" is a woman who breaks calves with her 10 year old daughter.  We use methods that work for us, every time.  My daughter weighs less than 60 pounds and has helped me break calves since she started in 4-H 3 years ago.  We have sold calves to other kids for 4-H that were broke by our methods.  Our calves have yet to be the ones that are lapping the ring or giving the kids any trouble because they have complete respect for the halter because it isn't left on them for their heads to get numb too. 

Think about it, when you first started wearing a watch or ring or for the women a bra.  The first week, that was the most annoying thing you had put on your body and you noticed it.  But after a while you don't even realize it is on.  Same with leaving a halter on a calf, that skin thickens up and they won't even notice you pulling on it.  Which isn't a big deal if you are big enough to hold an 800 pound calf on strength alone, my daughter isn't. She has to rely on the animal respecting the halter. 

Another thing, when breaking a calf I always use a ring halter that will completely release when I let off pressure.  Cattle figure out rewards really quick.  I also don't tie them up until they respect the halter enough to follow me in the stall and they have tried to get away and I could easily turn their heads and stop them.  There is no fight when you tie those calves up, especially if you feed them when you tie them up. 

They also figure out that if they don't get fed until they have a halter on, they will do their best to get the halter on, I have seen that first hand with my daughter's show heifers last week.  I had thrown their halters over their stall gate and was getting their food together.  They were trying to push their heads in the halters and actually had them pulled over their heads. 

Sorry if I offended you by my "blanket statement" about dragging halters, it offends me that people think they have to break calves by just letting them "fight it out" or out muscling them.  Sorry I tried to help someone by making the calf breaking any easier on them so they will have a more respectful calf.  That is why we try to raise everything that my daughter shows, I can't afford to have one that someone else has dominated to break, her 60 pounds wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of fighting it if it came down to that.  That is also why we sell quite a few calves and I have quite a few calves that people bring to me to break, me, not my husband. 
[/quote]

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN.  I Fully agree with ALL of it!  They need to learn respect and how to "give" to pressure.
I dont know how many times we have to give this lecture??

red

I don't like for them to drag a halter mainly because it creates a mess when you try to grab the halter & also can rub nose & behind the ears raw.
We've had some calves that seemed unbreakable. Time spent w/ them in a calm quiet manner, no screaming or hitting goes a long way.
I have also had calves that are as gentle as can be at home go berserk in a show & those that are tempermental at home act like lambs in the ring.

I think it is everyones responsibility to make sure that no one gets hurt at a show or sale. Unfortunately we are dealing w/ a live creature & we can't always perdict the out come.

BTW- I'm met many people that have animal personalities or characteristics!!!!!

Red

BCCC

The way you hook donkeys and calves up is put horse halters on both of them and then take 18 inches of chain and hook the two rings on the halters together and let them go.

I also don't like letting the calves drag the halters because I have noticed that is when they start the head tossing.

I would say put a ring in his nose in a couple weeks if he hasn't stopped this however don't show him with it take it out and  replace with a zip tie(it works good and not as noticeable).

I would put a halter on him in a small pen(10x10) and then try leading him, give him some slack so you have some leverage to pull on his head. If he does okay go to a bigger pen, so on and so forth until you can lead. Sullivan's also have a metal halter called Big Jim's breaking halter(or something like that) We have used one on a 1200lb heifer(our first year) that was doing the same thing as your steer, and we had it fixed in just a couple hours.

OH Breeder

BCCC said:

I would say put a ring in his nose in a couple weeks if he hasn't stopped this however don't show him with it take it out and  replace with a zip tie(it works good and not as noticeable).

????????They make temporary rings that you can take out.

I would not ring a steer either. Lots of good info above. Most of all be patient with the animal. Many times we loose that and it makes the situation worse. I am so guilty of this, i usually have my nephews step in when my patience's is thin.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I've seen a couple of people with nose rings in steers before at smaller shows and it doesn't seem to affect how they placed. I've even noticed some young kids using bull snaps in their heifers to make sure they didn't act up.

I've never had any troubles with letting the halter drag to break cattle. On cattle with floppy dewlaps, their skin wears out quick but if you wrap the halter with duct tape on the nosepiece, they stay good. My cattle don't hold their head low in the show ring either.  :-\

kanshow

We used a spring loaded ring in my son's heifer last year.  She is a big pet but he was a skinny little kid & when she decided she was going to walk off, she could.  She wasn't mean about it, just knew she could push him out of the way & go where she wanted.  It took about two times with that in while he led her and she started respecting him.  After that, if she starts getting a little pushy, he taps her nose and she quits.    We did this at home before the show.  We keep the plug in the show box because he claims she knows it is there. 

CAB

OK PPL, stop and think about this. How do you think that they put a ring in a calf's nose, magic? The ring splits open, push through the nose and a screw is put back down through it, wah la. So yes , you can of coarse take them back out. Brent