Nutritionists

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

We seem to be having an epidemic of hooves splitting in our cow herd.  I was determined to find that it is genetic however I am leaning more toward some deficiency in their mineral program.  Feeding Purina Wind and Rain.

Thoughts

Show Heifer

There is two schools of thought on this. One of which says it is genetic, and the other says it is nutritional/environmental. 
I have to split these opinions and say I honestly think it is a combination of both. IF your cattle have the "bad hoof gene", then any nutritional or environmental problems will be exaggerated by showing signs of split and/or cracking hooves. On the other hand, if you have good structure and "good hoof genes", then they will be better able to handle the environmental/nutritional problems that are in their surroundings, thus, they will not show signs of damaged hooves.

If you think it is nutritional, draw blood and have them tested for mineral levels... but at this point, I would suspect you have the "bad hoof gene" along with some environmental problems such as really hard ground, lots of rocks, or very wet ground (makes the hoof soft).  Many times if you change the environment you will improve their hoof condition.

SWMO

I would say that since these cows have a lighter colored hoof that they have a softer hoof. Hence more hoof problems.  Same principle as horses.  These splits are occurring in cow 3 years of age and up and are starting at the top of the hoof and working downward.

Environmentally what haven't we had in the past 24 months,  extreme wet, extreme dry, lots and lots of ice so I would guess that definitely environment is taking its toll.  However,  I am beginning to believe that there is also a deficiency occurring also.

knabe

Hoof Hearted said:
Curios if your cows happened to be related to Meyer 734?

or cunia.  a relatively linebred cunia cow my neighbor has has cracked hooves.  also, have the cows changed environments?  horses sometimes have this problem and it takes a while for their hooves to get used to a wetter or drier climate or soil type.  out here, the clay is really dry and farriers note that horses moving into the area have problems for a while.

SWMO

No Meyer or Cunia.  These happen to be Red Angus x Char cross cows.  And a few purebred Chars.

No doubt that some is genetic contribution however with the extreme dry, wet cold cycles that we are having it seems to be making this a real problem lately.  More so than in the past leaving me to believe that there is an essential nutriant that is out of balance. 

SWMO

or cunia.  a relatively linebred cunia cow my neighbor has has cracked hooves.  also, have the cows changed environments?  horses sometimes have this problem and it takes a while for their hooves to get used to a wetter or drier climate or soil type.  out here, the clay is really dry and farriers note that horses moving into the area have problems for a while.
[/quote]

Knabe THIS IS MISSOURI.  Our cows change climates on a regular basis.  If you don't like the weather wait a day and it will change. ;D

knabe

SWMO said:
extreme dry, wet cold cycles that we are having it seems to be making this a real problem lately. 

seems like the answer.  how about raised watering holes or liming them to limit effect of urine or manure as well?