Nutty heifer!

Help Support Steer Planet:

brick hollow

Have a heifer that calved a couple days ago. Seems confused about what her role is,at first she would kick the heck out the calf. Put her in the chute to allow the calf to nurse. separated them overnight. Next day seems concerned but still would not let calf nurse. Today won't let calf nurse but does not want you near her calf. Back in the chute to feed the calf! I'm losing my patience, she getting ready to grow wheels!

rtmcc

Sometimes on heifers it seems to take a few days for all the hormones  to level out.  After they do. hopefully mother nature and mothers instinct will kick in for you.  Patience is a virtue in these deals.  You may go out the next day and the calf is nursing on its own and the mom has that mothers moo.

Good Luck!
Ron

GoWyo

Some old timers say to pour a little molasses or brown sugar on the top line of the calf.  Seems to help their hormones get in sync and it helps them to like the baby a little more if they taste good.

KMJCC

When you seperate the heifer and calf put the calf in an ajoining pen so they could still lay next to each other.  Had a heifer a few years ago that was a bottle baby and her first calf would kick the snot out of it and try to kill it, but would would stand at the gate and ball for it when we would take it out.  I could milk her everytime to feed it so we put her in a headgate and hobbled her to let the calf nurse and then would put them in adjoining pens and after a day or so she would let it nurse.  She was never real nuturing with that calf but has since went on to be a real good momma with her next two calves.  Don't give up and try to keep your patience.  Good Luck!

SWMO

Sometimes heifers bags are very sore.  Usually takes a couple of days for the soreness to disappear.