OCC Legend & Height

Help Support Steer Planet:

FMF

I have only ever used him on our purebred angus so I don't know if anyone has experienced the same with club calves, but everytime we have bred to him we have gotten a bull calf and they have always been super short. The steer I have this year is a nice steer but he is so short and fat that he looks like an old time angus.... and what puzzles me is that his dam is actually a very tall cow with nice long legs.

I have also never seen a heifer out of him....and if I did then I don't remember. I don't know if it is because he throws more bulls than heifers, or that his heifers never turn out and no one brings them out. I really like the bull but quite frankly I don't wanna breed to him ever again because of the short calves he has thrown us. They have all been nice calves, just too short and squatty for a judge to place them.

Has anyone else had any height problems with him?

kfacres

FMF said:
I have only ever used him on our purebred angus so I don't know if anyone has experienced the same with club calves, but everytime we have bred to him we have gotten a bull calf and they have always been super short. The steer I have this year is a nice steer but he is so short and fat that he looks like an old time angus.... and what puzzles me is that his dam is actually a very tall cow with nice long legs.

I have also never seen a heifer out of him....and if I did then I don't remember. I don't know if it is because he throws more bulls than heifers, or that his heifers never turn out and no one brings them out. I really like the bull but quite frankly I don't wanna breed to him ever again because of the short calves he has thrown us. They have all been nice calves, just too short and squatty for a judge to place them.

I have never used the bull, but with the OCC prefix, I could guess this to be accurate...  OCC seems to moderate them down, as most people concur.

NWOhio

FMF said:

We've used him 3 times, 2 bulls and a heifer.  All calves stylish with some muscle, width, and guts, but like your experience they were short to moderate in their height.  All 3 dams were heifers and moderate in their own right.  We used his son BC Lookout this year on a taller Angus cow, hoping to downsize a little, but not as much. 
[/quote]