OCC Legend Son-Masher

Help Support Steer Planet:

FCCO

Thanks for all of the nice comments from the Aubrac Cattle post! More precisely, all of the good feedback on our Legend son-Masher. For those of you that did not get to see him you can go to our Hybrid page at www.fickecattle.com. I have also included a couple pasture pics of Masher this morning (certainly not professional pics) and one of his heifer calves. Before I "wear out my welcome" on here, I will take a break from posting anything new for a while!

Attachments

• pasture 017.jpg
    pasture 017.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 174
  • pasture 018.jpg
    pasture 018.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 210
  • pasture 026.jpg
    pasture 026.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 193

CAB

Please keep posting. Things have been quiet here for sometime. It's great to see good cattle.

Alscows

What is he on the dam side?  We have also used Legend well in our Simmental cross hybrids.

FCCO

His dam is sired by Man In Black and an Angus cow.

trevorgreycattleco

Nice bull. Post away my friend. I wish everybody would. I think folks are getting tired of the shorthorn folks arguing all the time. Me included! <beer>

Telos

Yeah. We are starving for something new! Keep the posts coming when you get time. Most everyone likes pics. Masher looks good out in the pasture..

How are you utilizing those Aubrac's? 1/4 blood x 1/4 blood?

FCCO

I'm targeting the 1/4 to 3/8 shot of Aubrac in my composites and no more than 50% in my Angus/Aubrac Hybrids. We do have 10 elite higher % Aubrac cows that we continue to breed to 7/8's or higher bulls for foundation stock. I will post some new pics on the Aubrac post of some higher % cattle.

FCCO

One more pic...

This is a mid March Masher bull calf out of a 12 year-old Composite cow.

Attachments

• 152 Masher Bull 001.jpg
    152 Masher Bull 001.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 183

FCCO

I told you guys wrong on the cow side of Masher (see kids thats why drinking before breakfast is bad), she is indeed sired by Man In Black, but out of a Cigar daughter that I'm told goes back to a BF Duke? cow that may have originated at Phil Launter's. None the less, thanks for all the good comments and visitors to look at his calves. If any of you know Jayd Frazier that works for Burroughs Bulls, he saw the Masher's before they went to grass and was very impressed.

FCCO

Man In Black is a Chi/Maine/Shorthorn/Angus composite sired by All About You (Heat Seekers full brother).

Attachments

• xx-man_in_black.jpg
    xx-man_in_black.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 181

FCCO

An updated pic of Masher and a couple heifer calves. Thanks for all of the inquiries about Masher and his progeny.

Attachments

• july23 019.jpg
    july23 019.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 161
  • july23 002.jpg
    july23 002.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 161
  • july23 018.jpg
    july23 018.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 165

wyatt

you got a good bull there if he were mine id get a semen bank on him before he gets to old good luck

kfacres

FCCO said:
Man In Black is a Chi/Maine/Shorthorn/Angus composite sired by All About You (Heat Seekers full brother).

wow now wait a min. hold your horses..

you're telling me that you have a commercial composite cowherd, which part of them is based off of club calf bred stuff.. and you're breeding them to this new breed of cattle that I have never heard of.. and you are creating calves and cows and bulls that look like the pictures you are posting???  

Sweet is all I have to say to that...  

Did I read somewhere that these Aubach cattle are frames 3-4?  Or am I dreaming?

ETA- better keep that bull a secret, or he'll be the next big craze of the club calf world..  ;)

FCCO

Hey Wyatt, you are exactly right. I'm planning on taking him to the stud when he is done breeding in 2 weeks. I have had a bunch of people from this forum and people looking at calves that are interested in semen.

On the frame score size, many of the Aubracs are in that 3-4 frame score. The largest frame score on any of my herd bulls was a 5.5. And yes, I tend to "color outside the lines" with my breeding program, but its sure fun not following any traditional rules!

kfacres

FCCO said:
Hey Wyatt, you are exactly right. I'm planning on taking him to the stud when he is done breeding in 2 weeks. I have had a bunch of people from this forum and people looking at calves that are interested in semen.

On the frame score size, many of the Aubracs are in that 3-4 frame score. The largest frame score on any of my herd bulls was a 5.5. And yes, I tend to "color outside the lines" with my breeding program, but its sure fun not following any traditional rules!

i think that's truly awesome.. the US beef industry needs more people who think with their own brains, instead of using somebody else's.  I also think it's neat that you are promoting a product that is not black hided- yet commercially acceptable.

keep me in the loop!

FCCO

As of today, Masher is at Vogler's Semen Centre and they will start collecting him in the next few days.