OH-IO

Help Support Steer Planet:

JSchroeder

Out of 119 D1-A College football teams Oklahoma played the following ranked defenses... #78 Texas Tech, #85 Baylor, #89 Kansas, #93 Oklahoma State, #98 Missouri, #110 Washington, #114 Texas A&M, #117 Kansas State and lowly Chattanooga who is not a D1-A team.  Even Texas & Nebraska would have been ranked 2nd to last in the SEC in defense this year.

You say that as if the types of offenses you go up against every week have no impact on the defensive numbers.

shortdawg

Florida is fast, fast, fast...... did I say they are fast ? ! ? ! Believe me I hate the Gators with a passion but OK is no match for them. 51-20

justme

What a sad day for us Buckeyes.....Once a buckeye fan always a buckeye fan! 

bluegrass

The gators will win by 3 TDs atleast. I don't know what the spread is but  you couldn't give me enough points to take OU in this one. I'm a Big 10 hater and won't try to hide it but my biggest question is why does the media and all the guru analyst on these sports shows keep giving the Big 10 teams especially Ohio State so much love in the preseason then bash on them when they get hammered in a bowl game by a team that is obviosly bigger faster stronger and better prepared. Why will OSU be ranked in the top 10 at the start of next season? The only thing they have proved to me is that they know how to take a beating and take a spot in a big game that a more worthy team should have. This is just my 2 cents worth on the subject not trying to offend anyone

redwingfarm

come on now, did you watch the game Monday?  Ohio state was bigger/stronger to the tune of over 200 yds rushing, they scored enough to win the game after falling behind in the 3rd quarter, unfortunately they left too much time on the clock.  Congrats to Texas for winning a great game between 2 seemly very even teams.  Your 2 cents won't buy much today,  which is what your analysis seems to be worth.  OSU is in big games because they are perrenially good and they put butts in the stands.  The Fiesta bowl was sold out, do you really really believe that Utah can sell out a stadium???

bluegrass said:
The gators will win by 3 TDs atleast. I don't know what the spread is but  you couldn't give me enough points to take OU in this one. I'm a Big 10 hater and won't try to hide it but my biggest question is why does the media and all the guru analyst on these sports shows keep giving the Big 10 teams especially Ohio State so much love in the preseason then bash on them when they get hammered in a bowl game by a team that is obviosly bigger faster stronger and better prepared. Why will OSU be ranked in the top 10 at the start of next season? The only thing they have proved to me is that they know how to take a beating and take a spot in a big game that a more worthy team should have. This is just my 2 cents worth on the subject not trying to offend anyone

Throttle

The Bucks do fill the stands. I was amazed at some of the empty stadiums at bowl games. I think it was the Capital One game that made me think of it. How far is Georgia from there? There had to be 1/4 of the seats still available for that game.

I was glad to see that the conferences seem a little more even this bowl season. Iowa over S Carolina big, Utah over Bama big, Buckeyes hanging with UT, all surprises to most. I think a few more years and the conferences will continue to draw closer togther as others continue to emulate what the SEC does. Those Buckeye embarassments in 2 of 3 title games were a lesson to everyone in what to recruit and what works and doesn't at the national level.

Don't count any decent team out of a game as big as the national championship. The terrible big slow ugly Bucks were slated to get trampled by the speed of Miami, one of the greatest teams ever, in the 02 title game. The analyists said they shouldn't even be there.

I'd like to see a rundown of the defensive (and offensive too for that matter) ranks of the teams on Utah's schedule, but I'm not taking the time to do it. I bet it wouldn't be that impressive, and if any of the teams did have decent numbers, it is only because they didn't play anyone decent either. Make all the excuses for them that you want down south of the Ohio River, but Bama losing to Utah only proves that the SEC was not as dominant as everyone wants to believe this year. That said, the Big 12 was not near as impressive when matched against teams from other conferences either, and I see Florida over OU too. 

bcosu

bluegrass said:

Ohio State will be ranked in the top 10 next year because they are a good team, end of story. It's extremely hard to play your best for all 12 games. Look at USC, i think they have the best players in the country and are in a system that allows them to do just about anything yet they still blow it once or twice a year. They are the best at preparing for big games like OSU and the rose bowl. They also had a bye week before the game to prepare and a bye week after to recover, that alone is a genius move on scheduling. Florida did the same thing losing to Ole Miss so i don't want to hear about Ohio State being so bad because they lost to 2 top five teams during the season then outplayed the supposedly best team in the big twelve (all except for the last drive that is).

mike

BUT???????? How many bowl games have they won in the last few years, they are a good team and are there every year but they are in a funk where they cant win the big game or bowl game.

shortdawg

The SEC will end up being 6-2 in their bowl games with only one of those losses a real surprise. That's 75% of the conference teams playing in a bowl. The SEC is the best conference top to bottom in the country. I have a lot of respect for Ohio State but they have never beat an SEC team ( 0-8 or 0-9)

Throttle

year        OSU record        SEC team record                 Game/Location                                         Results
1977 9-3 ALABAMA / 11-1 SUGAR BOWL / NEW ORLEANS, LA ALABAMA 35 - OHIO STATE 6
1989             8-4 AUBURN / 10-2 HALL OF FAME BOWL / TAMPA, FL AUBURN 31 - OHIO STATE 14
1992 8-3-1 GEORGIA / 10-2 CITRUS BOWL / ORLANDO, FL GEORGIA 21 - OHIO STATE 14
1994 9-4 ALABAMA / 12-1 CITRUS BOWL / ORLANDO, FL ALABAMA 24 - OHIO STATE 17
1995 11-2 TENNESSEE / 11-1 CITRUS BOWL / ORLANDO, FL TENNESSEE 20 - OHIO STATE 14
2000 8-4 SOUTH CAROLINA / 8-4 OUTBACK BOWL / TAMPA, FL SOUTH CAROLINA 24 - OHIO STATE 7
2001 7-5 SOUTH CAROLINA / 9-3 OUTBACK BOWL / TAMPA, FL SOUTH CAROLINA 31- OHIO STATE 28
2006 12-1 FLORIDA / 13-1 BCS CHAMPIONSHIP / GLENDALE, AZ FLORIDA 41 - OHIO STATE 14
2007 11-2 LSU / 12-2 BCS CHAMPIONSHIP / NEW ORLEANS, LA LSU 38- OHIO STATE 24

In their 0-9 vs SEC record in bowls, the Bucks have been lower ranked, with a worse record, underdogs at a site in the south each time but for a match up of 8-4 records in the 2000 Outback and for playing Florida in Arizona. Look at the records on many of those games. A 3 or 4 loss OSU team versus a 1 or 2 loss SEC team. With the exception of the new BCS championships in 06 and 07, you have to remember, the only reason Ohio State would be playing an SEC team in a bowl would be b/c the Bucks had a down season in which they did not make the Rose Bowl. Why should we be shocked that the underdog loses?

Ohio State is 7-2-1 versus the SEC in regular season match ups. We'll be OK. Most of these things tend to even out over time, and while I'm conceding that the SEC is the best conference in college football the last 2-3 years, I bet 100 years from now the records will be pretty even, and the debate will still be raging.

bcosu

Throttle said:
year        OSU record        SEC team record                 Game/Location                                         Results
1977 9-3 ALABAMA / 11-1 SUGAR BOWL / NEW ORLEANS, LA ALABAMA 35 - OHIO STATE 6
1989             8-4 AUBURN / 10-2 HALL OF FAME BOWL / TAMPA, FL AUBURN 31 - OHIO STATE 14
1992 8-3-1 GEORGIA / 10-2 CITRUS BOWL / ORLANDO, FL GEORGIA 21 - OHIO STATE 14
1994 9-4 ALABAMA / 12-1 CITRUS BOWL / ORLANDO, FL ALABAMA 24 - OHIO STATE 17
1995 11-2 TENNESSEE / 11-1 CITRUS BOWL / ORLANDO, FL TENNESSEE 20 - OHIO STATE 14
2000 8-4 SOUTH CAROLINA / 8-4 OUTBACK BOWL / TAMPA, FL SOUTH CAROLINA 24 - OHIO STATE 7
2001 7-5 SOUTH CAROLINA / 9-3 OUTBACK BOWL / TAMPA, FL SOUTH CAROLINA 31- OHIO STATE 28
2006 12-1 FLORIDA / 13-1 BCS CHAMPIONSHIP / GLENDALE, AZ FLORIDA 41 - OHIO STATE 14
2007 11-2 LSU / 12-2 BCS CHAMPIONSHIP / NEW ORLEANS, LA LSU 38- OHIO STATE 24

In their 0-9 vs SEC record in bowls, the Bucks have been lower ranked, with a worse record, underdogs at a site in the south each time but for a match up of 8-4 records in the 2000 Outback and for playing Florida in Arizona. Look at the records on many of those games. A 3 or 4 loss OSU team versus a 1 or 2 loss SEC team. With the exception of the new BCS championships in 06 and 07, you have to remember, the only reason Ohio State would be playing an SEC team in a bowl would be b/c the Bucks had a down season in which they did not make the Rose Bowl. Why should we be shocked that the underdog loses?

Ohio State is 7-2-1 versus the SEC in regular season match ups. We'll be OK. Most of these things tend to even out over time, and while I'm conceding that the SEC is the best conference in college football the last 2-3 years, I bet 100 years from now the records will be pretty even, and the debate will still be raging.

that's a pretty good point. i wouldn't really say that those were memorable years at osu, in fact i remember 2000 and 2001 as rebuilding years with the terribly inconsistent steve bellisari at qb.

farwest

TJ said:
Out of 119 D1-A College football teams Oklahoma played the following ranked defenses... #78 Texas Tech, #85 Baylor, #89 Kansas, #93 Oklahoma State, #98 Missouri, #110 Washington, #114 Texas A&M, #117 Kansas State and lowly Chattanooga who is not a D1-A team.  Even Texas & Nebraska would have been ranked 2nd to last in the SEC in defense this year.  That's 11 teams that wouldn't even finish in the top 10 in the SEC for defense (and they weren't even playing SEC teams either!)!!  Talk about a cupcake schedule!!

It's too late now, but the National Championship game should have been Florida verses either Utah or Southern Cal, IMHO.   Those are the 3 best teams in college football, IMHO.   Texas, Texas Tech & Penn State all proved that they were "pretenders".  Bama had a real good team, but they weren't explosive enough.     

If Florida doesn't throttle Oklahoma, I'll be the 1st to admit that I was wrong.  But, this game is gonna get rather ugly for Oklahoma, I'm afraid!  Florida just might eat Bradford & not spit him out... it just might get that ugly.   ;)
So when will we see that you admit you were wrong TJ, or was that your idea of a throttling.  I can't believe the 60th ranked defense in the country held them throughout the game like that.  hmmm.  One thing you were right about was the win, the rest bs.  But i'm open to 10 more paragraphs from the armschair.

TJ

farwest said:
TJ said:
Out of 119 D1-A College football teams Oklahoma played the following ranked defenses... #78 Texas Tech, #85 Baylor, #89 Kansas, #93 Oklahoma State, #98 Missouri, #110 Washington, #114 Texas A&M, #117 Kansas State and lowly Chattanooga who is not a D1-A team.  Even Texas & Nebraska would have been ranked 2nd to last in the SEC in defense this year.  That's 11 teams that wouldn't even finish in the top 10 in the SEC for defense (and they weren't even playing SEC teams either!)!!  Talk about a cupcake schedule!!

It's too late now, but the National Championship game should have been Florida verses either Utah or Southern Cal, IMHO.   Those are the 3 best teams in college football, IMHO.   Texas, Texas Tech & Penn State all proved that they were "pretenders".  Bama had a real good team, but they weren't explosive enough.     

If Florida doesn't throttle Oklahoma, I'll be the 1st to admit that I was wrong.  But, this game is gonna get rather ugly for Oklahoma, I'm afraid!  Florida just might eat Bradford & not spit him out... it just might get that ugly.   ;)
So when will we see that you admit you were wrong TJ, or was that your idea of a throttling.  I can't believe the 60th ranked defense in the country held them throughout the game like that.  hmmm.  One thing you were right about was the win, the rest bs.  But i'm open to 10 more paragraphs from the armschair.

Florida didn't throttle Oklahoma... how about that?  ;) 

I honestly thought the Gators would come out fired up & I thought that they would throw the ball more too, but that wasn't the gameplan.  The gameplan was to control the clock & run a bunch of handoffs for short yardage.  I expected a 40-50 point effort by the Gators & I won't lie about that.  I expected Florida to play more like they did in the 2nd half, and in particular, the 4th quarter, the entire game.  But, Stoops is a good coach & a great defensive mind.  I think Urban Meyer knows that too & I think Urban went conservative in the 1st half because of that.  Also, Oklahoma has some good defensive players & they were obviously playing with passion... jumping on the sidelines, waving towels, etc. (I didn't see that from Florida in the 1st half, even after they took a 7-0 lead).  Oklahoma deserves credit for stepping up tonight & slowing down some serious athletes.  Regardless of why, the only thing that matters is that Florida didn't score like I thought they would & I was wrong about that.  But, they won, so that is all that matters.

HOWEVER, I do think that you might want to read my post again.  If you will look closely, you will see that I was talking about the pitiful defenses that Oklahoma faced, not about Oklahoma's defense.  ;)  And it looks like I was right too.  14 points is all that a "fired up" Oklahoma team could muster tonight.  So, I was spot on that Oklahoma wouldn't put up many points on Florida.   

With that said, I was getting ready to post, but I've been doing other things.  However, if Oklahoma had scored more than 14, I would've been posting the very minute the game was over that I was wrong about Oklahoma.  But, the truth is Oklahoma's offense while good, is not great. Again, I was wrong, it wasn't a total beat down.  I admit it.  But, I wasn't wrong that Oklahoma played a bunch of terrible defenses this year & that their offense was overrated... the 14 point output proves that. 

With all that said, I apologize if I rubbed you the wrong way.  BTW, I never meant to get you or anyone else all "bent out of shape"... it's just a game & I was just having some pre-game fun.  This isn't life you know.  But, I had strong feelings that the Sooners would be disappointed after this game & they are. 

At least I came back to eat my crow... where all the "Big 12 is the greatest thing since sliced bread" posters who posted about how great the Big 12 was all year?  I heard all sorts of nonsense about how great that conference was this year throughout the season, not only from the media, but posters on this board, and it's obvious now that the Big 12 wasn't the best.  So again, I must ask where are they? ???  Hmmm...  ;)    Were you one of them? 

The truth is, the Big 12 was a real good conference this year (arguably #2 or #3 behind the SEC & maybe the PAC 10), but with Florida & Ole Miss both soundly beating Oklahoma & Texas Tech head to head, and with Texas barely beating Ohio State (whose conference bowl record was awful!!), it leaves no doubt that the Big 12 conference was way over hyped this year.  And it also shows that the SEC wasn't as down as everyone thought that they were!  ;)       

S-E-C... 3 straight BCS National Championships!!!  (clapping) 

BIGTEX

Texas beat OU and would have beat Florida last night. We'll see next year. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]HOOK EM HORNS![/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

TJ

BIGTEX said:
Texas beat OU and would have beat Florida last night. We'll see next year. [size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]HOOK EM HORNS![/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

Ole Miss beat Texas Tech, who beat Texas, who beat Oklahoma.  For that matter, they beat Florida too, who also beat Oklahoma... seeing a pattern here?  Texas had enough problems with the Buckeyes.  If they had won that game more convincingly, they would have a legit claim, but struggling to beat a Big 10 runner up, gets them no brownie points. 

I think Ole Miss would've beaten Oklahoma, Texas or Texas Tech last night.    HOTTIE TOTTIE!!    ;)

DLD

TJ said:
At least I came back to eat my crow... where all the "Big 12 is the greatest thing since sliced bread" posters who posted about how great the Big 12 was all year?  I heard all sorts of nonsense about how great that conference was this year throughout the season, not only from the media, but posters on this board, and it's obvious now that the Big 12 wasn't the best.  So again, I must ask where are they? ???  Hmmm...  ;)    Were you one of them? 

Hmmm... Well, I'm not sure who exactly you're referring to there, but if I'm one of them I've been without a computer for over a month.  I did post a little about the Big 12 earlier (mostly because I do good just to keep up with them, much less the rest of the country), but I'm pretty sure I never said a thing about any other team or conference or how they compare.  That said, I am disappointed with alot of the Big 12's bowl performances.  I'm an Oklahoma State fan, which means my two favorite teams are OSU and whoever OU's playing - however... IMHO, that wasn't nearly as one sided a game as you're making it out to be TJ.  But hey, your team won, so congratulations.

red

I gave it a week & am back to my own avatar! Wanted to let you know I just about gagged everytime I saw that mascot!  ::) ;)
Red