Ohioans, Iowans - What do you think? - Non-Cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason

*Disclaimer Political Thread - not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, but would be nice for a perspective from people who actually live in each state.

I know we have a lot of people from both states on the forum.  I can't imagine how much you are probably be inundated with ads from both parties, especially Ohio.

What is your take on which way your state will swing?  Would you rather change to the popular vote and get rid of the electoral college?

Red Cow Relocators

From Iowa - I am afraid that Obama will carry this state, the number of people in the cities outnumber those of us in the country. I hope and pray that I am proved wrong! RCR

trevorgreycattleco

Ohio is up in the air. It's such a melting pot of races and religions and lifestyles. When we took my dads ashes to coal country in southeast Ohio I saw nothing but fire Obama signs. However Columbus is just down the road and I'd say it's even. The news is so annoying. New polls everyday. More campaign stops. It's relentless. The key here is the economy and how bad it's getting. Folks are fed up. The new jobs created here under Obama pay less then the ones we lost in the recession. If I'd have to bet I'd take Romney to win. Just to many people struggling. Lots of hope tho on the horizon with this modern day gold rush with the natural gas deals in the eastern part of the state.

It's my opinion neither one can fix this mess. The dollar is continuously being devalued. Living expenses going through the roof. Robberies everywhere. Round and round we go. Where it stops nobody knows. When the fed can just print money at will and keep the economy propped up on high gas prices and iPhones  I really start to wonder.

aj

Interesting topic. |You have two senators per state and yet the number of representatives per state are based on population of said state. Redistricting can be quite interesting. Not sure the system will ever be completely fair. Maybe its all checks and balances.

ShowSimms

IOWA- Here in rural Iowa mostly Romney, hopefully there are enough of us to beat the city slickers for obama!

hangonsloopy

Ohio will go to Obama im afraid.  I am in the Toledo area and the Unions are way to strong around here.  It is sad though that Romey will probably win 80 counties here but the other eight will be Toledo area, columbus area, Dayton area, Youngstown Area, And Cincy area. 

hamburgman

Iowa goes for Obama, the early voting is in such his favor it will be hard for Romney to overcome that.

jason

hamburgman said:
Iowa goes for Obama, the early voting is in such his favor it will be hard for Romney to overcome that.

I don't think Iowa would do Romney in, but I think Ohio would.  It seems Romney is getting stronger as the election goes on, but time is running out. 

mooch

We in Iowa are flooded with Obama visits at colleges and universitys. Everytime they have a rally, they can now set up voter registration and early voter stations.I would assume that a large number of the early returns filed are from these events. Basically they brain wash the college kids and get their votes at that time.I guess it's legal but hate to think those people and the vast life experience they have, dictate how our country is ran. Voting used to be a privelage and a duty that required some thought , now its a thumbs up for how did you like the Bon Jovi or Springsteen concert brought to you by the Dem party. We are screwed.

cpubarn

If you are interested in what life is like in Iowa during political season?

I have 4 registered voters here.  4 postcards from Romney AND Obama in each days mail.  6-8 political calls per day, guessing by the numbers poping up on caller ID, and 75%+ political commercials on over the air TV.

If Jason starts taking political ads on steerplanet, I'll puke!

Mark

forcheyhawk

It pains me, but I agree with the other posters regarding Iowa.  Obama will carry Iowa.  The union thing is really hurting the conservative movement.  I have a few friends that are conservative in every sense of the word.  Yet they still vote liberal because they belong to a union.  You want to start talking minorties - the Republican party is quickly becoming a minority.

obie105

I wish they would get rid of the parties and get candidates that care and not bs. I also do not like the electoral college. It should be popular vote.

jason

cpubarn said:
If you are interested in what life is like in Iowa during political season?

I have 4 registered voters here.  4 postcards from Romney AND Obama in each days mail.  6-8 political calls per day, guessing by the numbers poping up on caller ID, and 75%+ political commercials on over the air TV.

If Jason starts taking political ads on steerplanet, I'll puke!

Mark

No ads here (lol)

The cool thing for both states is that you know your vote is going to actual count for presidential race.  In Kansas, if I vote or not, not going to really matter.  The state is going to carry the Republican, so it does make you feel your vote is in vein.  Now, I know the argument be made if everyone thinks this way, then maybe the outcome wouldn't be the same. 

I appreciated the fact that a highschool gov't teacher offered extra credit to anyone that registered to vote when they turned 18.  I have voted ever since then.  I didn't think much of that then, but when you can see a difference in your pocket book or someone that wants to go against your beliefs, you become very interested in what is going on.  Particularly on a local and state level.

I would be whole heartily in favor of a popular vote, however I can see the concern of more problems with ballot stuffing and voter fraud.

Nasc

I'm for the popular vote.

I think overall Ohio will go Obama, but there does seem to be more of a buzz about Romney and Ryan growing especially since the debates. 

There doesn't seem to be as many Obama yard signs this time around. I would say its about a 50/50 split in my neck of the woods.

buckeye

I am from the eastern part of Ohio where the big talk is COAL with this campaign.... and its only one coal company owner that has the Fire Obama signs because his company was fined because he was not up to par on some regulations. So he had Romeny come to his mine and speak in which he shut the mine down and told all the workers to report for the rally, some say there were forced to attend and some say that was not. Bottom line I am voting Obama which may not be a popular choice with most on this forum but its America and we are each entitled to our vote.  (clapping)

OH Breeder

buckeye said:
I am from the eastern part of Ohio where the big talk is COAL with this campaign.... and its only one coal company owner that has the Fire Obama signs because his company was fined because he was not up to par on some regulations. So he had Romeny come to his mine and speak in which he shut the mine down and told all the workers to report for the rally, some say there were forced to attend and some say that was not. Bottom line I am voting Obama which may not be a popular choice with most on this forum but its America and we are each entitled to our vote.  (clapping)

AMEN!

aj

Charlie Rose and CBS announced that Obama will be the next president.....in there show this morning.

OKshorthorn

buckeye said:
Bottom line I am voting Obama which may not be a popular choice with most on this forum but its America and we are each entitled to our vote.  (clapping)

Ok, i'll bite. It doesn't really matter to me, just curious. But could you explain why you are voting for Obama? I would consider myself a moderate republican, and i'm not a Romeny fan, but I just can't fathom how anyone could look at the last 4 years and think it has been a success. Obama had both houses in a super majority and still did nothing. I got so fired up during the last 2 debates woke my wife up talking to the tv, how can Obama talk about his "plan" for the next 4 years and people buy into it, when we have acutally watched his "plan" for the last 4 years fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.