OK Planeteers.....Time 2 USE Your Brain AGAIN.........

Help Support Steer Planet:

JoeBnTN

frostback said:
I love that idea. But how do you pick the teams and keep them all even? Do you have them fill out a questionair at check in and have a someone or a few set the teams from that?
One way to be sure that the teams are relatively even is to blind draw the kids.  Set up  definitions of each level - i.e. for a beginner or novice you have to be in your first year or can't have shown more than 3-4 times.  Someone who had shown for years and had several top placings in showmanship would be the expert.  If that's too hard get a small group of parents, breeders, etc, to "classify" (won't that start a fight in Texas) the kids.  Put them in their respective group and then draw names for teams.

The real plus side is that it encourages the older kids to help the younger ones, helps them meet new people and gives everyone an equal chance to compete.

T

I have some thoughts on this as an "outsider."  When I met Zane, I'd never been to a cattle show and was completely clueless about what they entailed.  Oh, how quickly you learn some of that:  the work, etc.

But the subtle things are much harder to learn.

I remember the first couple of shows we watched.  It was like torture having to sit there as 10-ish black cows walked into the ring, walked a bit, stood, walked, then were lined up by a judge ~ only to leave while the judge gave some commentary that was A) hard to understand (the mic, etc) and B) jibberish (no clue what it meant!).

This is back in our dating days and I can honestly say, I was so glad he lived in town, in an apartment.  I really felt that would spare me having to go through much more of that!

But that all changed when we bought our first house, then had a couple of calves, etc.

Zane was incredibly patient with me and every class, would explain why he liked certain ones and not others.  Tried to explain, in very general, what the judges were looking at.  A few classes in, I could at least pick out the top of the class.  Maybe not line them all up exactly like the judge did, but that's normal! 

We were talking about Fort Worth specifically.  My guess is that when spectators (the GENERAL public) walk through there, they stay about 5 minutes.  I'm thinking 10 minutes would be the absolute max.  It's boring, they have no clue what's going on, and so they move on.

And now to my idea ... finally:

I think there needs to be some sort of announcer.  I propose this for a trial run at Fort Worth only because I really know the venue and the public traffic in the area.  I think it should be tried out on the weekends.  It's a great way to tell those spectators what is going on.  Some of the things could be breed-specific (ish). 

I envision this as someone who does read the entries, but then follows up with WHY they are walking them around and what the judge is looking for, WHY they set them up the way they do - and what they see from that, WHAT it has taken to get them that far in their show career, etc.

I know I would really have enjoyed having that to help me through those first few shows and I think it would be both educational and a LOT more fun for those watching.

Just my 2 cents'.

-Traci

knabe

T said:
It's boring, they have no clue what's going on, and so they move on.

And now to my idea ... finally:

I think there needs to be some sort of announcer.  I propose this for a trial run at Fort Worth only because I really know the venue and the public traffic in the area.  I think it should be tried out on the weekends.  It's a great way to tell those spectators what is going on.  Some of the things could be breed-specific (ish). 

I envision this as someone who does read the entries, but then follows up with WHY they are walking them around and what the judge is looking for, WHY they set them up the way they do - and what they see from that, WHAT it has taken to get them that far in their show career, etc.-Traci

i like those ideas. 

that's why i think blowers in the background interfere with the announcer.  part of the problem with describing the entries is that the judge is not supposed to be biased as to who is on the halter, what the breeding is, unless they are allowed to refer to epd's at which point, the pedigree should be invisible.

the other problem that people have with "over" describing the animals, is that people get offended.  i commented on here one time about how a heifer needed to come out of her withers higher through her neck and got a response somewhat like, "she's got a great front end, what are you talking about?"  it's hard to rate "who brings the most good" as people will rate this differently, though like you, i agree they should. 

here's a scenario.  lets say they judges overgive their reasons in the early classes.  with all the classes, this could go on forever.  if they do it in the later classes, the exhibitors will get upset for criticism of their animals and that the judge is hurting the marketing of that animal or bloodline. 

then, they change the policy to water down the comments so no one gets offended or the judge talks one on one with the exhibitors so other people don't have to listen.

i wish people would get a little thicker skin and quit complaining about opinion.  everyone complains that the same people win, yet when a judge shows up who is different, the people that thought they should have won under their favorite judge complain.  what a joke.  it's amazing some of the supporters of the show don't wake up and take the whole thing away. 

T, i agree with your assessments.  we need to make this more fun for everyone, including non-cattle people, who look to us to provide them a diversity of products.

i personally would like to see a steer class that was based solely on yield instead of any ability to marble since 50% of the market is for that kind of cattle, even though a lot of those cattle are culls.  lower quality outlets still use the premium cuts and the rest goes to taco bell etc.

there is no "one" kind of steer.  it's about time we had classes to portray that.  the way it is today, carcass results notwithstanding, is a little unrealistic due to the age of the animals, at least to me.  to me, the industry makes just as much money on the low end animals as they can discount them the most.  meat is what sells, for the large percentage of the market, not fat.

ZNT

Let's face it, the cattle shows and cattle exhibits are not about us at big stock shows like Ft. Worth, Houston, Denver, etc.  It is about creating great entertainment for the rodeo fans and concert fans.  These people live in the city our surrounding towns, put on their boots one time a year to go to the stock show and feel like they are cowboys and cowgirls for one day.  This is why tie-out coincidentally are at the exact same time the rodeo begins, and not before.  WE are the entertainment.

When Traci told me about here idea about a "commentator", I thought it was a great idea.  None of us could imagine watching a football game, NASCAR race, or rodeo without a commentator to describe what's going on both on the field and behind the scenes.  It is the same situation when the general public stops by the show arena while touring the stock show.  Commentary does not have to critique the individual animals in the ring, but can describe the process the judge is going through when selecting his winners.  It is also a time to describe all the preparation that is needed before an animal can be exhibiited in the ring.  This commentary could really clerify what many of the general public witnessed as they walked through the barns on the way to the arena.

If the general public has fun, they will buy rodeo tickets the next year, and maybe bring their friends with them.  THAT money is what makes it possible for all of us to bring our animals to the show.

Dusty

As far getting the general public more involed.  One thing I try to do when at county fair is that when the town/city people are walking through the barns with the little kids is I always say hi and ask the kids if they want to pet a calf or just touch it or whatever.  You would be amazed at the reactions of little kids who have never been around livestock before.