old shorthorn semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

ML

Robthom's are well known Holstein breeders in Springfield, MO.  There were a lot of Milking Shorthorns that were used during that time frame from SW Missouri. 

justintime

I don't think the last three bulls in your list are Shorthorn bulls and I highly doubt if they are Milking Shorthorn bulls but there may be a slight chance they are. My guess is that they are Holstein. Check on a straw and see if you can see the breed code.

In regards to the Hillrock herd, I had the opportunity to visit this herd in North Dakota while it was still in operation. They were truly the dual purpose cattle that I remember as a kid. Many of the cows in the Hillrock herd were over a ton, running on native prairie pastures with calves nursing them. I was there once in the spring and the following fall. I was amazed how fat these cows were after running on very rough pastures for the entire summer. The pastures were 40-50 miles from the Hillrock farm, so they did not get extra supplements. The calves on these cows were huge, with many of them weighing close to 900 lbs at weaning.

kfacres

justintime said:
I don't think the last three bulls in your list are Shorthorn bulls and I highly doubt if they are Milking Shorthorn bulls but there may be a slight chance they are. My guess is that they are Holstein. Check on a straw and see if you can see the breed code.

In regards to the Hillrock herd, I had the opportunity to visit this herd in North Dakota while it was still in operation. They were truly the dual purpose cattle that I remember as a kid. Many of the cows in the Hillrock herd were over a ton, running on native prairie pastures with calves nursing them. I was there once in the spring and the following fall. I was amazed how fat these cows were after running on very rough pastures for the entire summer. The pastures were 40-50 miles from the Hillrock farm, so they did not get extra supplements. The calves on these cows were huge, with many of them weighing close to 900 lbs at weaning.

yes you are correct, with a quick search on the Hol USA website, those bulls are in fact of that breed.  I really like this website, and think it may be one of the best I've seen yet, it's amazing at how much more advanced the dairy (mainly Hol) breeds are than the beef breeds..

the first bull was born in '64 and owned by KState- he goes back to the great rag apple bull
2nd was '65, also owned by KState.  This bull goes back to the old Skyliner bull..  Just a little FYI note, my grandpa's very first heifer he bought o so many years ago, was in fact a Skyliner daughter. 

the 3rd bull I can not find, even though it sounds like a Holstein name.. especially with the twin on the end.. Hol breed is big about suffixs..  I'm guessing something about his name, or reg # is wrong, or misspelled.  Of course, he many not be a Hol bull at all, but my guess he is.  I'd say just a quick notice, the 1st 2 bulls are owned by KSTate, perhaps this one was as well- and the original owner/ purchaser of this  group of frozen gold may have been a KState fan??  Just a guess though on my part. 

One thing you might consider is contacting a high powered Holstein herd about this semen.  Someone who's been in the business awhile.  With the hurt for good outcross options in today's Holstein pedigrees, someone might seen quite a bit a value in this old stuff, as many of the futuristic old school beef herds have in their past's. 

nativeman

I would be interested in your irish and hillrock semen. Currently have probably the last remaining of the full irish in my herd. E-mail me at [email protected]  Thanks

oakview

There are several herds around the country with some full Irish cattle.  I even have one myself.

nativeman

Just had a highfield rathcannon"MICK" full irish bull calf today. That goes back a few years.

Doc

I have 2 full Irish cows still & a bunch of eggs. I just sold a flush out of my Irish Mist dtr & she will be flushed next month.

nativeman

What cow families are your cows? I have the Strawberrys, hawthornes, and linda's.

aj

I the only thing I disliked about the Irish was that most were horned. A great source of germ plasm though.

r.n.reed

I owned a cow called Kilfinney Juliette still have some of her influence threaded through the herd.In all of my years in the business I have never seen a cow with more spring of rib or wider topped in any breed or cross.Coincidentally her sire and dam had the same name,Foundation!

justintime

Our full Irish cows are from the Strawberry cow family. They are unique in that they also have in their pedigree some of the best female lines in the Irish strain, those being the Kildysart, Kilmilhil, Daffodil, Una and Kilrush cow lines.

I have included a picture of our senior full Irish cow, Waymar J&J Strawberry 802 at 12 years of age, She is now 14 and will be flushed again this spring. After several flushes we could not get her to get pregnant again, so we tried implanting an embryo in her. She has a very good ET calf this year, and she is cycling normally again. She is the dam of HC Mist's Return 13R, who is the easiest calving sire we have ever used. Our Mists Return bulls averaged $3320 in our bull sale last week. We have a solid red daughter of Strawberry sired by the best full Irish bull we produced, named IDS Mr Maloney 50M ( he was an Irish Mist son out of a super Improver daughter of one of our original Irish imports Highfield Margeret 2nd)We also have a full sister to Mist's Return and some other decendents in the herd.

Attachments

• Waymar J&J Strawberry 96 -08.jpg
    Waymar J&J Strawberry 96 -08.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 233

oakview

My full Irish cow is a Deerpark Leader 18th daughter from the Highfield Pansey line (granddam is the Red Velvet cow, dam of Monopoly and Boardwalk).

advocate

How's that work oakview since monopoly is out of an angus cow and boardwalk is a monopoly son out of a who made who dam and the opnly horn in em is from heatseeker 2 and 3 generations back? I'm confused enlighten me

Shady Lane

Oakview is speaking of AKF Monopoly and AKF Boardwalk.

These were two full Irish bulls that were full brothers sired by Deerpark Leader and out of a Full Irish cow, 932's Red Velvet.

I believe Monoploy might have topped Aldens dispersal back in about 1995? If I recall he sold for $40,000???

We still have Monoply daughters in production in our herd, I still have some Monoply embryos that I'm hoping o implant later this spring.

oakview

Thanks for the clarification.  I should have included the prefix.  The Shorthorn in Heat Seeker does go back to the Irish bull Deerpark Improver.