old shorthorn semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

r.n.reed

I can tell you where the orange came from.FA Warrior 41st was listed as PHA H and THA H.I discovered that one about 3 weeks ago in one of my pedigrees that went back to Weston Surprise.They were supposed to clean up the orange as well.Apparently they had to apply a defect status to an older animal when offspring were registered in the old system and at that time it didn't matter because it wouldn't show up in that system.Someone randomly picked  homogeneous for those defects and now with the new system it matters.
Here is a picture of Weston Goliath

Attachments

• DSC07287 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC07287 (1280x960).jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 855

3 Eagles shorthorns

So should a guy stay away from the clipper king usa breeding ? That worries me about no milk, that was one of my main reasons for buying shorthorn cows. I was hoping I could sell the bull to add some milk and vigor to calves .

coyote

I think a little injection of some of the right old genetics adds some positive traits to Shorthorns. One thing it has done is added more guts and doing ability to them, another is lowering birth weight.
Here is a bull we are currently using on our heifers Muridale Hero 31Z, he is sired by BONNYVIEW HERO 7Z , who is sired by H D COMMANDER'S HERO X.
Muridale Hero 31Z is the current Birth weight trait leader within the breed at  -7.3.

Attachments

• 006 - Copy.JPG
    006 - Copy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 506

coyote

We are also really pleased with the growth of his calves too and are looking forward to his first daughters calving next spring, below is a daughter.

Attachments

• 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    901.1 KB · Views: 490

coyote

H D COMMANDER'S HERO X

Attachments

• H D Command Hero.jpg
    H D Command Hero.jpg
    770.6 KB · Views: 596
  • Hero bulls.jpg
    Hero bulls.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 545

3 Eagles shorthorns

Nice heifer and sure coyote!! She's deep middled how I would like my females to look. Any thoughts of 4 point major? I'm going to a.i and couple heifers to him for fall calvers.

justintime

3 Eagles shorthorns said:
Nice heifer and sure coyote!! She's deep middled how I would like my females to look. Any thoughts of 4 point major? I'm going to a.i and couple heifers to him for fall calvers.

I have flushed a couple donors for Australian breeders in the past two years to Four Point Major. Both flushes were very successful with 16 and 18 grade 1 embryos. Just a few months ago I flushed another donor for an American breeder, and it also produced 18 grade 1 embryos.
I still have a fair bit of Four Point Major semen and I plan on flushing a couple more donors to him for myself. I always felt that Massive Major sired better females than he did bulls, however, I have seen a few excellent sons in recent years. He was a powerful herd sire and I can still remember him walking our pastures at nearly 12 years of age. He was one of the best moving bulls I ever saw and had feet like pie plates that were perfectly formed and never were trimmed. He was a bull that gained weight on pasture breeding cows and was pretty consistently over 2600 lbs. His females had great volume and good udders with moderate milk. I would not say they were heavy milking females but they always raised good calves so I guess they milked good enough. A group of Shorthorn breeders purchased Massive Major in the Rothbury dispersal for $10,000 when he was 10 years old, which was a pile of money in those days. He proved to be a very good investment.

mark tenenbaum

coyote said:
I think a little injection of some of the right old genetics adds some positive traits to Shorthorns. One thing it has done is added more guts and doing ability to them, another is lowering birth weight.
Here is a bull we are currently using on our heifers Muridale Hero 31Z, he is sired by BONNYVIEW HERO 7Z , who is sired by H D COMMANDER'S HERO X.
Muridale Hero 31Z is the current Birth weight trait leader within the breed at  -7.3./// Like to see him frim behind O0

librarian

Any recollections on the udders on Hilldale Commander daughters or the shape of his calves?
What is the origin of the Commander name? Do most Commanders trace to a common bull or it it just a recurring name.
I'm not really too lazy to look back to try to figure it out, but maybe someone just knows.
Plus, I would get sidetracked looking at some cow and get lost.

3 Eagles shorthorns

Justintime, Do you have a production sale? if so what do your females and bulls bring? and can you deliver to Montana? I am wanting to buy one or two foundation type cows outside the cows I purchased form Wally Klose.

justintime

3 Eagles shorthorns said:
Justintime, Do you have a production sale? if so what do your females and bulls bring? and can you deliver to Montana? I am wanting to buy one or two foundation type cows outside the cows I purchased form Wally Klose.

We sell some open heifers in our Sun Country sale held in March each year, and offer a few females in production sales each year as well. We have had over 20 production sales but in recent years, we have had a fair number of private treaty sales that we have not had a production sale for a few years now.  Like most breeders, our cattle sell at various prices and my private treaty sale prices are based on quality and numbers involved in the sale. I also think I can price sales off the farm differently than what I would hope from in a sale. I can usually sell females at home for 15-20% less than I would get in a sale as many of the sale costs are eliminated and the amount of work involved is also reduced. As for delivering to Montana, it would depend if I could get away or not. I only live 30 miles from the eastern border of Montana but it is a very big state. I am 400 miles from Billings which is not a bad drive. Within the next month I am heading towards Oklahoma to meet a buyer who purchased a set of heifers from me, so Montana is a lot closer.

Okotoks

coyote said:
Muridale Hero 31Z is the current Birth weight trait leader within the breed at  -7.3.
Would you have any photos of 31Z's son, Muridale Slap Jack 13B? I see 13B is the service sire of your bred in the Agribition sale.

aj

I don't see a problem with people drinking scotch and making love to old pedigrees.....but is there any info on udder shape, REA,, stayability, and other economical important traits?

r.n.reed

On those particular traits you mentioned AJ,I would say about as much as we have on the ''modern'' Shorthorn.

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

For a breed that self promoted as - milking ability/ good milkers - on last 150 years, and separated from her milking sister at 70 years, read that does not have enough milk is a surprise.
Maybe the old ones have not enough Illawarras, Irish or Holstein on their blood?
Regarding Alloy infusion makes sense.
The "polling miracle" on US on early century was an interest phenomenon, as almost all breeds turn polled on a 10 years time lapse.
Chapelton also had Galloways.
Using old genetics here, smaller against canadian genetics and very small against US genetics by now. Not many individuals for a more accurate opinion.

coyote

Would you have any photos of 31Z's son, Muridale Slap Jack 13B? I see 13B is the service sire of your bred in the Agribition sale.

Dan, here is a picture of him out on Pasture today.

Attachments

• 13b 017 - Copy.JPG
    13b 017 - Copy.JPG
    526.1 KB · Views: 263

coyote

Like to see him frim behind
mark tenenbaum
I got some pictures today of Hero 31Z

Attachments

• 003 - Copy.JPG
    003 - Copy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 245
  • 31Z.JPG
    31Z.JPG
    529.5 KB · Views: 270

r.n.reed

Impressive bulls Coyote and I really like the fact that you can tell they are Muridale Bulls.Please keep that white stuff up there!
This is Double Brute x4191362.BY a grandson out of a daughter of old 26a.

Attachments

• DSC00550 (1280x960).jpg
    DSC00550 (1280x960).jpg
    985.2 KB · Views: 273

mark tenenbaum

Thanks for the rear shot-hes a pretty impressive bull, and so is the brute: These 2 really show the improvement in type and muscle pattern over the really older cattle if you can even find semen-Stevie Wonder could see that O0