On Farm Test Results - Wrap Vs Twin

Help Support Steer Planet:

BTDT

Let me stress this was an ON FARM TEST. I used equipment that a typical farmer has.

Grass/Pasture Hay    1st Cutting Alfalfa      2nd cutting Alfalfa      3rd cutting alfalfa        Mixed Alf and Grass      Corn Stalks
            Twine -              6 inches                  7 inches                  6 inches                    9 inches                    6 inches                      12 inches
Wrapped Once -            4 inches                    3 inches                  5 inches                    5 inches                    5 inches                      5 inches
Wrapped Twice-            3 inches                    3 inches                  2 inches                    1 inch                      2 inches                      5 inches

Grass/Pasture hay - RFV 75
1st Cutting - RFV 89
2nd Cutting - RFV 97
3rd Cutting - RFV 120
Mixed - RFV 94

Took 4 samples from the same bale and averaged them. Took the 4 samples (with a hay core probe) from the same location in all bales (1 top, 1 each side, 1 bottom)

Keep in mind, the most hay is on the outside of the bale (due to the circumference), so weight wise, you are saving more pounds on the outside of the bale versus the inside.

So take it for what it is worth, but for me, I will wrap my alfalfa twice!

(This is the net wrap that is NOT biodegradable)

Limiman12

Anybody else see similar results.....  This was maybe the most economically useful post I have seen on here!  I plan to put most of my ground to alfalfa next year.....  Will be telling the bailer to wrap it double based on this!

hamburgman

The inches represent spoilage on the outside.  I will vouch that these numbers reflect the area where I live.  Never done a study myself but from seeing neighbors bales and spoilage on twine bales the net wrap seems like a no brainer.  The speed of the wrap makes it economical also.  If you live in an area that doesn't see much moisture you pry can get by with twine, but why not go with sisal then even.

edmun2010

I see the point about wrapping the hay twice , but the part that still baffles me is all the money spent to seed out,  fertilize, cut, rake, and bail the crop why would you allow any spoilage?? A bail tarp in like three hundred dollars and can be used for four to five years and each one can cover 70 bales. if ya do the math the cost of the tarp is 60 dollars a year or eighty five cents per bale covered per year for five years. Even if you lose four to five inches of hay to spoilage thats 17-25 percent of the bale, this tells me with the same acerage and no hay spoilage you could theoretically feed 17 - 25 percent more cattle in your herd.  None of our hay stays in the field even a day way too much money is spent to put up a good crop we don't let any of it sit uncovered and spoil.

BTDT

While any spoilage should be unacceptable, with 50 mph winds, I see many hay tarps flapping in the wind wrapped around a tree.  Plus, you also have to have equipment to lift and stack bales on top of each other in a triangle. I do not have that option.
I figured that wrapping the bale twice cost me roughly $1.00 extra, so it really is an easy decision. 

Ideally, everyone would have a huge hay shed with sliding doors to store every bale inside. But that is not feasible to many.

Corn C Cows - I think someone already answered your questions, but if you have any other questions, please ask. I will do my best to explain.