One and only

Help Support Steer Planet:

KSanburg

I did not use him on heifers, but bred 15 cows to him and the calves averaged 87 lbs.. I did not have to assist any of them but I would not recommend him for heifers as I believe they could present problems that a person doesn't need. It is my opinion that there are lots better choices for heifers that will give you a very marketable calf. Don't get me wrong I like One and Only and will breed several more this spring.

Ohio1

I wouldn't recommend him on heifers but his calves are as good as they get for a Thf bull
The steer in my profile pic is out of him!

Dstncnnnghm

We have a darn nice one and only heifer this year and she is jet black! I'm really excited about her.

KSanburg

3cClubies said:
How have your calves been out of him

His calves are very good, being Thf I believe they are as stout as you can make them and I plan on breeding 20 cows to him this spring. I will try and get some pictures and post them.

rtm

Good bull that has a place, but breeding to first calf heifers is not one of them!

GKE Cattle

One and Only is doing a fine job of breeding and as a Free TH Heat Wave son he definetly has a place.  But as a heifer bull, that is not his place!!  We have a neighbor with low EPD angus and they have had a couple of One and Onlys out of heifers and have gotten along great,, they had no issues but the calves were about as much as you would want out of a heifer.  We have had no issues with him on cows, and this is our second set of calves and plan on a third.  On clean cows the birth wts. have been pretty moderate, but on carrier cows (both TH and PHA) the calves can get up into the upper 90's,,we have only pulled one calf out of him and that one was backwards.    One and Only is a good bull and should be around for some time,  he is by no means a cow killer but I personal would not use him on heifers, especially any clubbie type one.
This is how I see it and I know others will say he is OK on heifers,,,use your head on how you breed to him.  FYI  I plan to put up a pic of a One and Only heifer on our profile pic,,SHE IS SEXY!!!