One And Only

Help Support Steer Planet:

barngoddess

What do you guys think of him? Any success? I'm thinking about using him on a few cows. I've seen some cool baldies out of him.

Would love to see pics of any calves you have or have seen out of him. Thanks.

Sambosu

I purchased a One and Only Steer this past spring, early spring. He was not quite 5 months old when we bought him. Some of the reasons why I bought him was he had a tremendous front end, lots of eye appeal and plenty of depth.  When this calf hit the 10 month mark, he transformed like no other calf we have ever owned. The amount of muscle he put on was crazy.  We never considered him a real powerful calf but he turned into one.  Now with the bad news, ever since we got his feet trimmed back in July, the calf has had difficulty walking.  Not sure if the problem is solely due to the hoof trimming job that went bad or if the calf is prone to foot problems.  His rear hooves both cracked/split afterwards, and he got hoof rot. We have tried everything and continue to spend lots of $$$$$$$ to try to get his feet to heal and pain to reside. Unfortunately, the pain seems to always come back and now the pain might be up in his joints. The breeder bred the steers dam back to One and Only and he thinks it's another good rip.  Not sure though if I can convince myself to buy another one due to the problems we have had even though it might not have been the calf's fault.

barngoddess

Sounds like it could have easily been the hoof trimming job but I suppose you never know. Thanks.

Ohio1

My steer last year was a one and only and he changed more than you can believe over time. Here are some pics from when i got him, winter show, and then fair.

Attachments

• acestart.jpeg
    acestart.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 192
  • ace1.jpeg
    ace1.jpeg
    952.4 KB · Views: 199
  • ace2.jpeg
    ace2.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 198

Sambosu

That is interesting to hear Ohio1 that we both had One and Only calves and both changed/improved dramatically over time.  Below is a pic of our One and Only steer that we are supposed to show at 2013 OYE.

Attachments

• 68.jpg
    68.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 127

barngoddess

That's awesome, thanks for the pics. It's funny, almost all One and Only's that I see look alike  ::)
Good luck with your steer calf, Sambosu.