one crazy coyote

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

Not Good!  Sorry to hear about your loss.  We have a couple of silky females that literally think they could hold their own with whatever, whenever.  I know what the result would be if they met a coyote though.  We also have a Rott and a Mastiff.  Champ, the mastiff, is pretty laid back..... that is unless you mess with the lil dogs.  I watched him get after a big male lab that was after them and when he got done with that dog......the lab just wasnt the same!  I am pretty sure the combination of the Rott and Mastiff keep the yotes at bay around our house.  That and a trigger finger with a twitch!  8)

braunvieh

We have had problems with coyotes, one year one attacked a cow having trouble calving and was eating her while she was calving. My husband hunted him down and got him, then left him lay where he was killed. Someone said that if you do that, they won't come back to that area...now that may not be such a good idea in your yard but we have never had a coyote issue in that pasture since, and it has been 5+ years.

fed_champions

trevorgreycattleco said:
fed-champ I just got off the phone with my neighbor and he is bringing over three live traps so hopefully we can catch the sob. Now he claimed when we catch one to hang it in a tree for all the other ones to see it and send a message. I told him I don't think the coyotes have seen to many mafia movies but he said it will scare them off.
On another note the sun is out, we had good rain last two days and I get to go eat down home cookin at my moms today for Mother's Day. AHH the ups and downs of life. Win some ,lose some.

Ur neighbor is right, everytime we killed a coyote around our cows we hung him on the fence. Not sure if it worked completely, but hey, its worth a try. Those oldtimers usually aren't wrong.

simtal

you folks are crazy if you think a wise coyote will get trapped in a live trap...hard enough with footholds let alone something like that.  shoot them when you can

fed_champions

Well i must be a dumbass, ive caught at least 20 over the years in a live trap, with a bait box. You put a rooster in there and they can't resist.

jbw

Snares are the easiest way to catch a 'yote.  Better check your law book though.  The Toughest dogs I have ever seen barnone are the Rhodesian Ridgeback[sp?].  They are African Lion dogs. 

lowann

jbw said:
Snares are the easiest way to catch a 'yote.  Better check your law book though.  The Toughest dogs I have ever seen barnone are the Rhodesian Ridgeback[sp?].  They are African Lion dogs.   
I forgot about Ridgebacks. Yes they are tough.

Dusty

The last coyote i saw that attempted to run through the pasture got literally chased out by 40 upheaded ready to kill cows.  I don't think we'eve ever lost a calf to coyotes.

segersmom

jbw said:
.  The Toughest dogs I have ever seen barnone are the Rhodesian Ridgeback[sp?].  They are African Lion dogs.   

Yes, you spelled it right. ;D  They are some extremely tough dogs bred for lion hunting.  Good choice.

jlingle

fed_champions said:
Well i must be a dumbass, ive caught at least 20 over the years in a live trap, with a bait box. You put a rooster in there and they can't resist.

Sorry.... but if you've caught that many, you've probably let at least 10X's that many (probably many more) go that could've been caught with foot traps.  There are precious few coyotes in the ranks that are dumb enough for live traps.  If you've caught that many in live traps, you've got serious coyote issues.

debtramm

I, too, am very sorry for your loss.  I have had two of my all time favorite cats snatched right out of our front yard in broad open daylight.
We've tried shooting the sorry son of a guns but they are such sneaky and elusive animals.

I certainly understand how mad you are.  Enjoy a cold one and remember we feel for ya!  GM

dori36

trevorgreycattleco said:
Just found our smallest dog(we have 5) mutilated on the back of the farm. I have never been more disturbed. I ran them off of her. Actually shooting at them. The only way I could tell it was her was by her little feet. They snatched her maybe 75 feet from my backdoor. Now I understand why my cows HATE my dogs. I try to leave nature alone most of the time but this makes me get fired up. I have read previous threads on here about coyotes but this was crazy. I now have the Savage 22/250 bu the door and we will start watchin the smaller dogs at night. I have a Rottweiler and this makes me want to get a few more and teach them to hunt and kill coyotes. the little dog was outside maybe 5 minutes when she was taken. Sad, sad day here at the farm. Tomorrow I have to tell my 3 year old (who loved Peanut) that she is dead. I need another beer just thinking about it.  Just thought i would vent a little on here. Take care everybody.

I'm SOO sorry!  If you're looking for a dog to handle Coyotes or even wolves, think about a Maremma, Akbash, Kuvasc, Anotolian and the like.  They are businesslike and not always the best housedogs, but they'll dispatch the wild canids in a way a human can never do. ANd, they're happy to work a rugged, wild area and get very bonded to the stock.  Google them to see more. 

trevorgreycattleco

I think we are going to get a Anatolian Shepard pair soon. I have been researching alot of dogs and I just love the looks and way they are. Unfortunatley they are very high priced(1,200) and up. Anybody on here know of anyone who breeds them? I think they could be very useful.

On another note, I have found some people here at home who go on coyote drives. They just push a big area to the standers and have at. They are excited to come help out a farmer!!!!! And I am happy to let them try <rock>

jlingle

If you've got sheepherders or goat herders in your area, they'll have access to anatolians.  Probably a lot cheaper than $1200 per pair.  They don't have to be purebred, mostly they're mixed with pyranees & still make terrific herd security.  Check em out...