one thing you could change

Help Support Steer Planet:

hamburgman

If you could choose one thing to never hear a judge mention again (pertaining to the animal) what would it be?  just wondering topics like this usually show a lot of wisdom of some older generations that has been passed down.

ROAD WARRIOR

This is a temendous female that will go on to make a great cow but................
RW

kanshow

My son likes to show fall babies.  He told me that he is tired of getting second place and then hearing that 'this young man has a great future with this heifer'.    He said he wants his future NOW!

forcheyhawk

Heifers shouldn't be too fat.  Then go and pick the heifer that's fatter than a market heifer.  ;D

SSIMMENTALS

"Here's one that I'm sure we'd all love to have a pasture full of" ( after placing the heifer in the middle of the class  :mad: )

Still Tryin

This steer is the most market ready of what we have out here in this class........ 3rd hole.

stumpy

THE best cow in the class stands third because.........she is not hard doing, too big, and/or over aged!!!! I am with RW on this one(we need to visit sometime).

ROAD WARRIOR

stumpy said:
THE best cow in the class stands third because.........she is not hard doing, too big, and/or over aged!!!! I am with RW on this one(we need to visit sometime).

Anytime! RW

cowz

I started with class with a free and easy moving female.....(as you listen to her hocks and joints CLICK and POP as she hobbles around the ring!)  <beer>

hamburgman

mine would be a judge knocking a calf for not being level from hooks to pins.  After seeing what the dairy industry is dealing with now, I wish the beef industry would address this before they have the same problems.

lightnin4

The judge at our jr. steer show this year said he is a stickler for structural correctness and went on to explain how that's important even with terminal shows, since these animals have sisters in breeding herds.  Then went on to pick the steer with the straightest rear legs as reserve champion. ???  Don't say it if you don't mean it!

BadgerFan

forbes family farms said:
To tell me that my heifer is a tremendous female but then put me in the back of the pack.

I see what you're saying- you want honest feedback, but would you rather he ripped on your heifer?  He's trying to not offend anyone and keep kids wanting to come back next year.  But that brings me to my next point...

My personal pet peeve is how everything is "Exceptional" "Tremendous" "Extraordinary".  I use the term "nice solid heifer" or "complete heifer" as a very high compliment and I don't think most exhibitors think that means enough because they're used to hearing judges say "Spectacular""Terrific""Stupendous" and the biggest, thickest, stoutest heifer wins.  Give me the heifer with proper balance, femininity and correctness and I'll use her all day long. 

BRdoc

It absolutely kills me to hear a judge say "this calf is really THREE DIMENSIONAL, and that's why they win the class." If that judge is seeing in 3D, what is he taking??

Sassy2899

I heard a judge say " I pick this heifer to be first because she walks cat like."!!!!

hevmando

In MN you have to earn a trip to the state fair and for early fairs, you need a backup pig for the state fair as our county fair is a terminal show.  Had a friends son earn a trip a few years ago with a commercial barrow, nothing fancy, but a productive animal.  His backup animal was the same type.  His first trip to the state fair and he has the judge say over the speaker "This animal does not deserve to be in the ring today."  The boy has never taken another animal to the state fair.  Sometimes I wonder what we adults are trying to teach our youth.

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
I think the all time best one I've ever heard is " the 2 year old I've started out this class with has a real sexy udder".......that kills me. If this guy looks at cows this way, I'm thinking he got a cuff up side the head from his wife on their way home. I've heard the comment on a breeding heifer " this heifer needs her head knocked off". I'm thinking there is a more politically correct way of putting that.

RH

I dont like alot of slang terms when giving reasons. I hate the word freak as a good thing. I have heard a judge say he would like to take a mallet and pop the calf in the loin everytime she take a stride because she gathers her top....
At a steer show this year the judge said everytime I look at steer that is that stout and big bodied,.. I just cringe thinking about calving those kind out..... WHAT?!?

Bradenh

i was told by a judge at a camp - 'this is the best fourth place calf ive seen all day, but theres something i dont like and i cant put my finger on what it is. he finds this hole because this steer is different'- i didnt realize 'different' was a good diplomatic reason for a cattle expert with a phd to set me in last (4 in class). and the postive part is hes had most of those same calves in his class at every show and the worst hes done since then was 2 out of 6.. expect surprises (lol)

Latest posts