Open Cows/Hefiers

Help Support Steer Planet:

dcbehle

We have had an extremely unusual breeding season. Of note, we have a tiny herd and are hobby cattlemen.

After 6 years of over 70% success with AIing our cows and heifers, we hit on only 22% of them this year. It has been a humbling and expensive lesson and I'm curious if anybody else has had a bad spring with breeding?

My son started an Angus herd in 2006. He has a passion for cattle and will be starting his agribusiness degree at UNL next week. We have had great support from a few area cattlemen and it has resulted in a small but successful herd. Our most recent calf crop that we sold averaged $3,250 last year. This year we have by far our best bull calf and heifer calf on the ground and are excited to market our spring born calves out of Soo Line Motive.

The big problem we have is that we had our preg checking done last Friday and found that only 1 of our 3 cows and 1 of our 3 heifers settled in breeding to Soo Line Motive. Only one of the pregnancies was from our first cycle of breeding in early June. One heifer settled after a 2nd breeding cycle. We did notice that 2 of the 3 heifers that were bred in early June came into heat during the last week of July while being exhibited at our county fair. One of our cows was bred twice, but we have not noticed any other signs of heat. Our cows are checked and fed distillers range cubes daily and are in a rotational pasture grazing that has been in very good condition this year outside of a few weeks in early July when we had an extended dry spell.

The cows were all around a 6 for body condition score when bred and have maintained it through the summer. One of the cows came back in a 4 score from winter pasture, but she improved her body condition all summer long and is the only one to settle during the early June breeding. We purchased the semen from our ABS rep and the semen never left the tank until moments before breeding. The tank is properly charged and the other semen that was in the tank has been used this spring and summer with excellent success.

We used CIDRs and Select Synch protocol from ABS with a timed AI 74 hours after the CIDRs were pulled and the PG was injected. 2 of the 6 were observed in standing heat 12 hours prior to breeding and all but one of the females felt firm when breeding. The one heifer felt marginal and never showed signs of heat again until late July. The breeder who helped us owns a dairy farm and breeds 15 to 20 cows/heifers each week on his dairy and has been doing this for over 20 years. As many cows as he has been around, I know he has a great feel for what will likely settle and what will not. He has bred our Angus since 2007 and this is the first time we've had more than one not settle after the first breeding cycle.

No cleanup bull is used as we've never had more than 6 to breed in a season and have never had an open cow come fall.

Finally, we used KAMAR heatmount detectors on the one suspect heifer after the first breeding to assist us with our visual daily inspection. After 15 weeks of daily monitoring of our small herd, we have only witnessed two come in heat in the pasture since the original breeding and two heifers that came in heat while being at the county fair. These animals are very docile as every animal that we've raised has been in the show ring at some point in their life. Everything we have over 6 months of age can be haltered in the pasture with just a few range cubes in hand.

Has anybody else had a rash of unsettled cows/heifers like this? Any chance that we had a bad batch of semen? All semen was from Soo Line Motive and this was our 2nd year of using him. Last year every female settled after the first breeding. This year we purchased the first round of semen from our ABS rep, and we got a few straws from another breeder for the two females that came in heat in late June.

Mill Iron A

Is there clover in the pastures?  Maybe take pictures of the cows please?  %'s pretty much mean nothing when talking about 6 animals because just as you have mentioned you miss a couple and a it is all of a sudden a complete wreck when in reality you only missed 4 animals.  I know thats out of six but A.I. is not an exact science.  Could it have been the semen? maybe. Also could have been the weather, condition, and out of curiosity how many cubes are you feeding? Could be a problem there as well.  The good thing is you are keeping them on a consistent program which helps immensely.  Sometimes it is really hard to narrow things like this down. I honestly feel they could be too heavy conditioned to be honest.

rackranch

Maybe the sperm count was low?? My self and a friend in different parts of the country both had problems a few years back try to get cows bred to the same bull.  Sorry for your bad luck..

dcbehle

Minimal clover in the pasture. These photos are from 10 days prior to breeding. The one picture shows our oldest cow with her calf. This Vermilion Payweight/Stockman 365 cow is the foundation for the entire herd. The second photo shows the supposed to be bred heifers behind a March calf. Only one is bred and that was on the second heat.

Attachments

• Pasture small.jpg
    Pasture small.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 195
  • Pasture smallb.jpg
    Pasture smallb.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 189

dcbehle

When the pasture was really good, they were getting about a pound a day of range cubes plus Vitaferm Concept-Aid 8/S prior to breeding and when the pasture was fresh. We had them on the Vitaferm with range cubes prior to going on pasture because the hay was marginal at calving time and the one cow was thin. Once the cows got up to desired condition and bred. We backed off the Vitaferm. When the pasture started to get dry in early July, we ramped up the range cubes to 3lbs/cow. The pasture has been good since late July and they are only on mineral.
We calved in early March and the calves were just weaned a week ago. One calf will be exhibited at the State Fair next week and our top bull calf is being prepared for the Nebraska Cattlemen's Classic this winter.

Sambosu

A friend of ours has around 200 head and he usually gets 80% of his AIs to stick. This year less than 50% stuck but at least he has some very good clean up bulls. The weird thing is the majority of the cows that didn't stick were AId with semen bought from one company. Also, the ones that did stick from this company and calved recently show signs the semen was incorrect. Most of these solid white cows bred to this bull should have either solid white calves, smokes or a lot of chrome and maybe a few blacks.  Almost every calf has been solid black and quite frail.

dcbehle

They are Furst-McNess cubes and guaranteed 26% protein, 8% fat, 10% fiber, 0.7% phosphorus. The DDG comes from local/regional ethanol plants.

Bulldaddy

There are so many variables when it comes to an AI program--genetics, nutrition, health, weather, semen quality, semen handling, heat detection and semen placement.  If you get one of them wrong, then you are in for trouble.  I would start by having your Vet do a quality check on the semen you used. I have never had a problem with ABS semen but you never know.  I breed all my cows AI with no clean up bull.  When I have had a problem in the past it has usually been traced to poor semen quality.  I have found some of the clubbly semen that gets sold is of poor quality.  Good luck!