Opinions desired

Help Support Steer Planet:

showmom37

This is our first show steer ever.  We would love some honest input along with any suggestions.  Our show is in April and this is a Brangus (mom)/Limmy(dad) steer.  Thanks all. This is also my first time to ever post anything so I sure hope I'm doin ths right!

Attachments

• PA056131.JPG
    PA056131.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 189

frostback

I dont usually reply to these but that is just a good honest calf. No hugh holes in him. Might look into a hoof trim for him, but a nice calf. Why the ring in his nose?

taylor tay

He sure does have a braham look to him, I think that he should do good in carcass, but he isnt as sleek as the other market animals but you should do well in carcass competition

showmom37

Thanks guys...I know the one picture probably isn't that great...will try to post more later.  We did get his feet trimmed just a couple days after the pic was taken.  Like I said, this is our first steer ever..so we are just kinda playin it by ear.  I thought it would be beneficial to us to get some input off this website since tryin to get an honest answer from others here who we are showin against is a little bit...um..challenging..lol.  So again thanks for your opinions and advice.  It is greatly appreciated!

Show Heifer

Clean front, very level top line, super square hip, and seems to be plenty thick.
I am assuming you are showing down south? With those breeds he will not get hair, so I hope you are showing in the slick division!
If you are showing against "show calves", you will be at a huge disadvantage due to his lack of "style" and "appeal", but be confident that you have a market calf that any market feeder would love to own! (And isn't that what a market show is about?)
I would also consider entering him in a carcass contest. Limmi X's usually do very well in those!

Good luck.

showmom37

Show Heifer said:
Clean front, very level top line, super square hip, and seems to be plenty thick.
I am assuming you are showing down south? With those breeds he will not get hair, so I hope you are showing in the slick division!
If you are showing against "show calves", you will be at a huge disadvantage due to his lack of "style" and "appeal", but be confident that you have a market calf that any market feeder would love to own! (And isn't that what a market show is about?)
I would also consider entering him in a carcass contest. Limmi X's usually do very well in those!

Good luck.

Thank you so very much for your input.  We are in Texas and it is a slick show! We are a small county show with  American Market Division and Exotic Market Division.  A couple of questions for you if you wouldn't mind.  You mentioned "style" and "appeal"...is that just something you get with the type of breed that you have or is there anything we can do to improve on that?  And what is a carcass contest?  I don't think we have those!!!  Thanks again!

katie_k

i love his shape and depth!  very nice animal you have.  he looks to be a little wasty in the sheath but otherwise awsome! good luck with your season!

showmom37

Jive Turkey said:
Heavy-fronted and weak-flanked.
Thank you for your honesty.  Like I said this is the first time our son has ever shown a steer.  We know very little about them and are literally learning as we go. Any and all advice, suggestions, or input we can get is much appreciated.  With that being said, is there anything we can do to improve either of the areas that you mentioned?  Again I thank you for your honesty and constructive criticism.  Would rather know what we have..or don't have....before our son walks into that show ring!

SFASUshowman

I think this is a very nice steer for your first show steer.  If he classifies american in this slick show then I think he has plenty of style and type.  Hard to tell if he has enough ear to classify from this pic though? He does have a bit more leather up front than most of the people on here are used to(you dont see many american type cattle on here) but I actually think he is fairly clean for an American steer.  He is a little heavy fronted, my guess would be he was left a bull a little to long, that tends to make those front ends get a little coarser, but I dont think its a deal breaker for this steer. While he does look a little tight flanked in this pic, you have to remember that he is standing a little stretched which will suck that flank up and he is also still pretty green.  I would expect him to deepen in the flank as he grows and finishes which will make him balance up a lot more from end to end. He looks pretty wide based, has some shape to the hip, and looks to be good topped.  Like someone said earlier its hard to find a hole in this steer and in my opinion the only one I really see at this point is his front end, but I dont know that will be a problem down the road.
If he has enough ear and classifies American then I actually could see this steer being competitive depending on how big and competitive your show is.  If he ends up having to little ear to classify American then it will be a little tougher for him to compete.  But all in all a very nice steer to feed for your first year.  What county are you showing in?

Silver

Good market calf, but to be a show calf he needs a ton more bone and his sheath needs to be cleaned up.

DLD

I'm assuming by "weak flanked" (I've never heard that term before), he means that he's tighter (higher) in his rear flank compared to the rest of his underline - that will improve at least somewhat with age and weight. As far as his sheath and front end go, I expect those folks aren't used to looking at Americans - I'm not real used to 'em either, but I don't think those are really issues that you need to worry about if you're showing in an American division.  I think he's a nice solid calf for a youngster just starting out - it's good to try and learn all you can, but most important is to take good care of him and have fun. It'll all come in time.

On edit - I was typing (very slowly) while SFASU was posting, I could've waited a minute and just agreed with him. LOL

showmom37

Thank you again for all of you who have responded!  We are showing in Galveston County and yes, we too are hoping that he has enough ear to go American...if he goes Exotic...well...we know how that will go...lol.  We tag in on Saturday sooooo....keep your fingers crossed for us!  I hope to have better pics that I can post next week and would love to have continued response and criticism from all!  I am so very grateful to have found this site and to have found folks who will be honest and helpful! Have a great night all!

SFASUshowman

No problem.  Everyone has made good observations here, but I think he will do just fine as an American, but it looks like those ears could be trouble to me.  Its gonna be close if he has enough, but even if he goes Exotic he is a great calf to feed for your first time!

fed_champions

He should be able to run Gert pretty easily, not the prttiest calf in the barn, but he's awfully complete. Should do pretty well, Good Luck on ur first year. Americans are supposed to have sheaths.

showmom37

I just want to say thanks again to all of you who took the time to look at the pic or our son's steer, for your comments, advice, encouragement and mostly for your honesty.  We had tag in today and he was classed as we had hoped...Market American!  Lots of work to do still and hopefully I will have a new pic to post this afternoon or tomorrow!  Again, thank you all so much!

ShowCalves2010

He looks like a solid market animal, sure he needs more bone and muscle but not bad at all for your first steer.  I hope you and your son have success!

kfacres

honestly, to me this looks like a very solid calf..  some of the comments above, could be questioned with their terminology, or experience levels.. or with ABC type of cattle... For a first year project, he should work very well...  I've always beleived that if you start out on top, you have no where to go but down.. 

ShowCalves2010

the truth said:
honestly, to me this looks like a very solid calf..  some of the comments above, could be questioned with their terminology, or experience levels.. or with ABC type of cattle... For a first year project, he should work very well...  I've always beleived that if you start out on top, you have no where to go but down.. 
that's a great point