Opinions on ABC Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

RCC

Hi everyone, I am new here and looking for opinions on this heifer I raised. She is out of a registered Charolais bull & a Brangus x Limi/Beefmaster cow. She was born on July 16th and any opinions good or bad are appreciated.

Attachments

• 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 162

dimebag

She looks good , very clean fronted , good boned .. looks to have some size to her .

RCC

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it. I forgot to mention that she is her dam's first calf. Any and all opinions are welcome!

leanbeef

DBL J1 said:
She looks good , very clean fronted , good boned .. looks to have some size to her .

I agree. She looks like she would be sound enough...all the angles seem fine. Feminine, clean made for her breeding, and balanced. She appears to have plenty of middle for as green as she is, with plenty of bone and adequate thickness. A shot from behind or up above wouldn't hurt to see how much shape she has down her top or out through her hip, but I kinda like her.

What are you plans for her? Is she a show heifer or a replacement?

WJ Farms

Well you are going to have to use a bull that has some american in him cause if not Im not sure the calf will have enough breed character to class in any american breed! Did you show her this year and get her classified as an ABC or is that just what you are calling her?

RCC

She is definetely on the bubble, and though i have never shown her i believe she has enough of a sloppy front and has some large ears. I also placed a steer in houston that was similiar in american character except he had a small hump and he had no problem classifying at San Antonio or Houston as an ABC. The plan though is to use American bulls on her.

leanbeef

Hey...I just ran across this bull and happened to think about your heifer... Not sure exactly what you have in mind to breed her to, but check him out...he's kinda cool.
3/8 SM 1/2 AN 1/8 BR

X504

Here's a link to the website where I found him. Just scroll down and you'll see him pictured there with a link to that video.
These guys do a pretty good job...I'm sure they'd answer any questions you might have about him.

http://www.flyinghgenetics.com/generationnext.html

RCC

Thanks for the link leanbeef. He's pretty neat, I'll add him to the list of bulls to think about. I was thinking about using unleashed or lotta leather on her for her first calf. Do u know if they have semen on him? I looked at there semen catalog and I didn't see him in it.

leanbeef

I don't see semen availabity listed on that page of the website, but it's not listed on some other bulls either, and I know semen is available on them. These guys work with Allied Genetic Resources or ORIgen, so my guess it would be through one of those distributors if it's available. You could call or email Jared...his contact info is at the bottom of that page, and he's good to get back to you with whatever informTion he has.

I'm not familiar with those other bulls or with any American bulls really. I ran across this guy just checking out Jared's other bulls, and his photo jumped out at me. I thought he was the most impressive bull he had pictured, and I raised one of the other ones! When I saw him on video, I immediately thought about your heifer. I think he's really cool. If I was breeding anything like that, I would definitely try him.

Good luck!

RCC

I will definitely look into him when it gets closer to breeding time, he sure is impressive enough to give him a shot, and thanks mainevent, but I'm just gonna order that off of bovine-elite if I decide to use him.

easttex

leanbeef said:
Hey...I just ran across this bull and happened to think about your heifer... Not sure exactly what you have in mind to breed her to, but check him out...he's kinda cool.
3/8 SM 1/2 AN 1/8 BR

X504

Here's a link to the website where I found him. Just scroll down and you'll see him pictured there with a link to that video.
These guys do a pretty good job...I'm sure they'd answer any questions you might have about him.

http://www.flyinghgenetics.com/generationnext.html

Nice heifer and I have to agree with lean beef that bull is pretty impressive and I think would click well with your heifer.

everybreedcounts

Honestly she has an ugly front, not clean fronted at all. But she has good depth. A little high in her flank but with age and feed that can be eliminated

Bradenh

What do you think about the honey badger bull? I think Poe over at A&M has a hand in him and I sure like the looks of the bull!

RCC

I like honey badger, I really like how expressively muscled he is and I like his super level top. He will be another one to think of when its breeding time.

dimebag

everybreedcounts said:
Honestly she has an ugly front, not clean fronted at all. But she has good depth. A little high in her flank but with age and feed that can be eliminated
You must not be familiar with American influenced cattle .. they are supposed to have a little leather up front ! to say she has good depth , but is high in the flank makes no sense !!

rackranch

She looks nice, I have an ABC heifer that settled with Joe B.  He has had a lot of success breeding show winning steers.  Colton Airhart has a new ABC bull out named FireProof.  I'm gonna use him some this year.  You can see both bulls on Bovine-Elite website.  Good luck

Latest posts