Opinions on Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HL82zoeDBM

Here is a video of my heifer that I took tonight, she isn't fit or fluffed up just in her working clothes. Showing her as a market heifer at our county fair and maybe state fair. She is AI'd to Fat Tony. If you were taking her to state fair would you go Market or Breeding? She is an sunseeker x mainexangus. Also for sale if you go over to classifieds. Opinions welcome!
Thanks

The Show

I'd run her as Market. She's not lacking in guts, but she's not a tank either. That combined with her huge hip and power gives her a more terminal/market look IMO.

TDR Simmentals

I think she would do better as a market heifer as well.  You may want to check your state fair rules though because a lot of state fairs require market heifers to be open.  They go as far as to pregnancy check every market eifer at our state fair before the show to confirm that they aren't bred.

Jacob B

Market heifer to me too.  Don't think she's super femanine through that front up into her head and neck.  Like previously stated, with that much power, she just has that terminal look to her.  If I could soften her up/deepen her body in the next generation...I think her daughters would be able to make some good clubby mommas. 

twistedhshowstock

I dont think she is completely undesirable in the breeding ring, she is definately not the most non feminine one that I have seen, but I do think there are more feminine heifers out there that will come in and probably beat her in the breeding ring.  However I think she will do very well for you in the Market ring.

wyatt

she could be a little bit smoother strided but with alot of muscle its hard to get other than that i love her i could say she would probably place better in a market class but she could do as well in the breed class it just depends

T-Majic

I would agree with the others and show her as market but sure wouldn't be afraid to keep her and breed her. She is a nice looking heifer.

Warrior10

We have thought of her as an market heifer all along, but at all the "progress shows" we went to she looked like she would fit better in the breeding  ring. With her now being finished I am guessing that changes a lot. We are excited about her being AI'd to Fat Tony. Thanks for opinions keep em coming!

Okotoks

She's a very nice heifer. I think that breeding her to Fat Tony should produce a really great calf.

tbargcattle

I think you should run her in the market show she combines the bone body and mass to be a market heifer. She is not feminine enough to be a breeding heifer.

Woody

One more vote for market.  Id like to lengthen out her stride and soften her middle a bit if I was to show her as a breeding heifer.JMO

EATBEEF11

market we have a heifer like that and dad put her in breeding class and she came up open too late to change now fair starts tommrow
<rock>

Warrior10

Well just got home from County Fair and she just won the market heifer division, then she came back and got reserve overall market beef behind a great x-bred steer. Judge told me that not too many times can she pick a heifer over the steers but she just had to.

mick rems

i had a heifer lyk that we showed her as commercial breedstock for wisconsin state fair as we dont have a market heifer class for state. she went to county and took the whole show, i kept as i had her bred but i shipped her this week cus she lost her calf and didnt milk enough as a 3 yr old to support a calf we bought to suck on her

twistedhshowstock

Congrats on the wins! Typically the steers do kind of have an advantage as far as growth and finishing goes, but I have seen some heifers that sure give them a run for their money

kfacres

mick rems said:
i had a heifer lyk that we showed her as commercial breedstock for wisconsin state fair as we dont have a market heifer class for state. she went to county and took the whole show, i kept as i had her bred but i shipped her this week cus she lost her calf and didnt milk enough as a 3 yr old to support a calf we bought to suck on her

raising both beef and dairy...  99% of the time I wouldn't expect a heifer (or cow) who aborted to have enough milk to support a live calf, not of their's.  Now if you are talking about your cow delivering a full term calf, and it dying.. then that's a different story. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I personally wouldn't ship a heifer who aborted and didn't have enough milk, for that reason alone-- unless the single reason was she aborted...