Opinions on Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Gargan

I remember this class of hfrs, cause i remember the beltie hfr in the background of the last picture. She was last place in the class but about as good of a beltie as i have seen, just small (typical). I do not remember ur hfr tho. Whats cool tho is i am in the stands in the next to last picture. hopefully ur camera still works..lol <rock>

mark tenenbaum

Gargan said:
I remember this class of hfrs, cause i remember the beltie hfr in the background of the last picture. She was last place in the class but about as good of a beltie as i have seen, just small (typical). I do not remember ur hfr tho. Whats cool tho is i am in the stands in the next to last picture. hopefully ur camera still works..lol <rock>/// WELL-I looked and looked and couldnt see a whole lot there in them pictures-I BESEECH YOU-
do not tell me you are a slave of fashion <beer> O0

leanbeef

This whole post has been one of the most fun I've read on here! And I agree on several points that have been made - both good and not so good - regarding the heifer. I have to say I'm more a fan of sound, soggy females for making cows. The heifer looks more terminal to me, and that's not so much MY type, but it takes all kinds. And I think she can be used if you use her right. She definitely has the thickness, and I think she has style to burn. The soundness issue would be the kicker for me, and a lot of times, it's hard to see issues in younger cattle, but as she gets older, any issues she might have will become more and more apparent.

I had a Shorthorn crossbred heifer a few years ago that was undefeated as a calf. She was pretty and thick and stylish. And pretty straight on her front end, come to find out. It didn't show up much until she got older, and as a senior yearling, I didn't even like her anymore! We bred her to very maternal, super sound structured Angus bulls, and I have an 878 daughter out of her that may be one of the best cows I've ever raised. And her structure is perfect!

The cattle I hate to see win shows are the ones that look perfect when they're set up, then they roach their top and sling their hind legs from their hip with no flex anywhere from the hock down. I hate cattle like that, and I see em win all the time because they're fit right and shown by the right person, and they look pretty standing still. It just makes me shake my head, though. The best judges of breeding cattle judge em from the ground up, and then they line em up and pay no attention to who's dragging em in.

frostback

I love that all of you can tell how she fills her tracks and how much flex she has from photos.

RankeCattleCo

i kinda like her in the market show... that being said I would be a little worried about how she breeds wit akk that muscle... DONT breed her to Heatwave  (lol)

But maybe get the pullers out, should be a 120 lb calf.. normally you here this bout bulls, but like one of the fellow sp's said it takes two to tango

WJ Farms

Yes whatever you do do not breed her to HW he might kill her lol...............his calves are always big but if you cant get them out alive they usually turn into something really nice...............You could take that heifer and breed her to a bull like Troubadour who is known for his structural correctness and being sound as cat but calves dont have as much muscle as ppl like for steers and you might produce the greatest smokey calf you have ever seen in your life JMO.............

RankeCattleCo

Wouldn't gp with Troub the first time... maybe I 80 or JPJ, then, and maybe, go troub depending on how good the first calf came.  Other than that great heifer ;D

WJ Farms

Hes -0.1 on his BW EPD do you know people who have had trouble using him on first calf heifers??

RankeCattleCo

Maybe not alot, but look at this heifers muscle... and if she has Heat Wave a ways back.. just get a calf first i'd say. maybe im wrong though, never used Troubadour.

WJ Farms

Yeah I guess if the heifers has some heat wave in here the possibility of a high BW is really good..........so you make a good point. And with her muscling she needs to be bred to and Angus or a something proven low birthweight........

mark tenenbaum

I listed some bulls earlier all proven CE-but I forgot one.NCK21 on here just phone texted a new born out of DMCC Bodybuilder (proven for years-sire of TLM Bouncer- who was lowest BW EPD in breed heavily used commercial type thick deal) and-a Point Taken x Maine Angus 1st calver. Talk about big BW potential-well the calf couldnt have wieghed over 50 pounds-and you could already  see the lower quarter. Bodybuilder produces these tiny calves that turn into some of the stoutest sows out there. There are pics of a couple on the DMCC web site-and of his full sib-who: I saw as a baby(little rat) who: breeds just like him,and who is a beast-I challenge anyone to show me a stouter bull that produces SOUND clubby type cattle,that grow,and with that kind of CE  O0

RankeCattleCo

By the look of some of those Tiny Tim calves in the other posts at 40 and 50 pounds you should have a relatively mild 70 to 80 bw on a calf outta him on her.  But like I said before, I-80: Can't EVER go wrong with him.  He's a bull that has changed the def of CE IMO, he's turned a heifers first calf into show barn material, not sale barn.

mark tenenbaum

RankeCattleCo said:
By the look of some of those Tiny Tim calves in the other posts at 40 and 50 pounds you should have a relatively mild 70 to 80 bw on a calf outta him on her.  But like I said before, I-80: Can't EVER go wrong with him.  He's a bull that has changed the def of CE IMO, he's turned a heifers first calf into show barn material, not sale barn.//// I like i-80 ALOT-but theyve gotta have really good back wheels from what ive seen. There was a haf Shorthornx I80 at the show this lady was at-out of a local herd in my county-that was flat awesome-and would have been in the top 3-4 at that show-and Im here to tell ya-there were some good ones. What held him back were his hind wheels.  O0

RankeCattleCo

Mark-
Not to steal a post, but do you have any experience with Milkman?  I found his dam's reg. #, put it in the search at the Charolais US website amd found nothing.  We're trying to get a heifer reg or atleast know what breed %'s are in her so we can register down the road as this is our first heifer.  Here's what I found on Bullbarn-

Chi- 6.883%
Maine- 14.843%
Angus- 14.98%
Other- 63.28%

The "other" is where I'm stuck. Obviously 50% or higher char but the rest is where im stuck... Shorty maybe? Simmi? Our heifer is a Milkman x PB Angus so we know she's 1/2 angus

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

CAB

I don't mind coming across as an ass---  i speak what's on my mind...

I know that I should just let this statement go, but I just haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I read it the first time. Jody I hope that you'll take just a second to read that back to yourself & then take another second to stop and think if this is really who you want or need to be. I'm fairly sure that you really don't want to come off like an ass and that you sure wouldn't want your folks to read those lines that you wrote. This is more than likely a younger person that was just asking a simple question hoping to better understand the judges comments. I hope that you take the time to think about your words & I'm not looking for a rebuttal.

I have also been going to comment about the heifer. She looks to be a powerhouse and you may find that she'll work as a cow, but some of the reasons in general that PPL don't have as much luck trying to make a momma out of the heavy muscled heifers is that those 2 traits seem to antagonize each other instead of complimenting each other. If you pay attention to some of the pedigrees in some of the clubbie heifer sales there are quite  a few of the clubbie blood lines in them & they are there for a reason. The chances of them making great cows is diminished IMO and in some other PPL's opinions. There are always exceptions to the rules though. Good Luck with your heifer whether or not you keep her & breed her or not. By the looks of her in the pictures, my opinion would easily be, show her as a market heifer. One more comment. Sometimes that top looking roached up is an indicator of a large loin muscle and nothing more.

Haynes Livestock

I am so sorry I have been absent from my own thread.. but I stopped receiving emails letting me know anyone had posted! I appreciate all of your opinions.. and I will do my best to listen (and continue researching)! I will most definitely not try to do anything crazy for her first calf. No Heat Wave or anything close to it. Her sire, Immortal, is a Heat Wave son. I'm staying far away from anything not calving ease. While I would LOVE to see what she can produce, I'm not taking any chances this first time around. Thanks for all the ideas of bulls to use though, it's extremely helpful when there are so many out there! As for showing her as a market heifer--I would LOVE to, but being from North Carolina & also being in vet school here really limits that.. the closest market heifer shows are in Ohio or farther.. that's a lot of traveling! So while I am going to show at a few market heifer shows "close by" (aka, 5 hours away), I will continue showing her in the breeding heifer shows here in NC. Maybe I won't get last!  ;) Maybe next year I will come back on here & let you guys know what kind of calf she had!

P.S. CAB, thank you. I really appreciate it. Also, I'm glad this thread has been so interesting/fun (for the most part anyways!)

Haynes Livestock

Gargan said:
I remember this class of hfrs, cause i remember the beltie hfr in the background of the last picture. She was last place in the class but about as good of a beltie as i have seen, just small (typical). I do not remember ur hfr tho. Whats cool tho is i am in the stands in the next to last picture. hopefully ur camera still works..lol <rock>

This is hilarious! Crazy small world! And yes that beltie wasn't bad for a beltie at ALL. Some of those belties, if you judge them based on their own breed characteristics (ie. small), can hold their own with any cattle!

Haynes Livestock

Have any of you heard anything about the Lautner bull Justified? He looks like he would throw some really good heifer calves, he's pretty maternal looking. He's PHA & TH pending though, and since my heifer is a carrier I worry about that. Also don't know what kind of birthweight we're talking about with him..just curious!