Opinions on Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

pending-- or untested... almost all the time... means carrier... especially when you talk to certain 'parties'...

i wouldn't breed a heifer to an unknown- heck I wouldn't breed a heifer to a 3 way either though- but that's just my opinion..

Haynes Livestock

Cut the BS said:
pending-- or untested... almost all the time... means carrier... especially when you talk to certain 'parties'...

i wouldn't breed a heifer to an unknown- heck I wouldn't breed a heifer to a 3 way either though- but that's just my opinion..

Yeah that's what I figured. And I was wondering whether the three-way cross would be a good idea or not too. I'm probably going to stick with a bull like Breathe Easy or Tiny Tim.. or just a calving ease angus bull.

mark tenenbaum

Haynes Livestock said:
Cut the BS said:

Yeah that's what I figured. And I was wondering whether the three-way cross would be a good idea or not too. I'm probably going to stick with a bull like Breathe Easy or Tiny Tim.. or just a calving ease angus bull./// JMO-I like the first two chices-If u are gonna go Angus-check out Jakes Blue Moon in your travels-Breathe Easy or Total Solution,woild be my choices-carefull of 1 80 on a hifer that thick O0

Haynes Livestock

Mark, I've looked for Jake's Blue Moon but couldn't find out much about him? I-80 scares me because of his calves' hind leg structure problems people have mentioned. The only reason I mentioned Angus is because of the ease-our herd bull is an Angus that we've never had trouble with. Little lacking in the leg muscle department, but she makes up for that! I had a nice little shorthorn plus steer out of him that I've been showing this year. It would just be easy to turn her out with him!

McM93

This has been a fascinating post. If I responded to everything interesting to me, it would be a small novelette. This heifer needs to be bred Angus (I have a few biases here) or Jake's Proud Jazz. If she was mine, I would never breed her club calf (Heat Wave derivatives) or at least for the first two calves. Keeping that in mind, I have been one of the "genius" breeders that have been selling this type of female for years only to figure out that these girls can produce champions out of clean Shorthorns and Angus. Back to Angus biases, I have no idea why Northern Improvement has remained so popular for so long, they are shallow bodied and hard doing...his son BEB Juneau is far superior (his dam was incredibly deep and thick), I have no idea why all of these NI fans have not figured out this alternative... ;D Good luck!

PS-Check out the pics of the champion Shorthorn at Fort Worth, JPJ x Heat Wave first calf heifer..I saw him...WOW!

kfacres

McM93 said:
This has been a fascinating post. If I responded to everything interesting to me, it would be a small novelette. This heifer needs to be bred Angus (I have a few biases here) or Jake's Proud Jazz. If she was mine, I would never breed her club calf (Heat Wave derivatives) or at least for the first two calves. Keeping that in mind, I have been one of the "genius" breeders that have been selling this type of female for years only to figure out that these girls can produce champions out of clean Shorthorns and Angus. Back to Angus biases, I have no idea why Northern Improvement has remained so popular for so long, they are shallow bodied and hard doing...his son BEB Juneau is far superior (his dam was incredibly deep and thick), I have no idea why all of these NI fans have not figured out this alternative... ;D Good luck!

Isn't there a juneau son out there that is atypical with bone/ hair and a for sure different 'angus' look/ hip...  ??  

McM93

I am sure there is, I just saw that cow back in the day... <beer>