Opinions on how to handle situation

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

I've got a couple of comments on this one:

There's nothing unusual about someone having to use cake to call cattle into a trap to get them to a lot.  There's no reason that should have been a warning flag.  Some of our wilder cows come into the lot easier than our "gentle" ones, some just don't like being separated and messed with.  Cattle that are raised in herds under normal range conditions in this part of the world aren't treated as pets.

We sell a lot of our calves right off the cow.  However, it's probably been about 4 years since I let someone pick them up until I've had them weaned at least a week.  I like for them to leave them a couple of weeks to let them get over being weaned and for vaccines we give at weaning to take full effect.  I don't think it was a big problem waiting only three days, but as a breeder I prefer longer.  More of a health issue than a "gentleness" issue.

I doubt the breeder intentionally sold you a wild heifer.  He had probably never messed with the calves on an individual basis to know it.  We would never know we had a wild one (except for the rare case) unless it involves one of the ones we wean and put a lot of time into for selling as show calves.  As I mentioned, we sell some that are pretty much broken out, but more that have never been touched.

The honest truth is there are a lot of reputable breeders that won't take calves back in a situation like that.  More people have the policy of "when they get on the trailer - they are yours" than don't.  A few suggestions/things to consider:

If you paid a "lot" of money for this heifer - several times market price - then you have a valid complaint.  If you are talking $1,000 to $3,000 heifer, most breeders aren't going to be real understanding.  You still have a heifer that can potentially productive as a momma.  Too wild for a little kid show heifer and too wild for a momma cow are two very different things.

If you really want your money back or another heifer, load the heifer up show up on his doorstep.  If he sees the heifer has been taken care of, isn't injured, hasn't lost weight, etc. I would at least think he'd make a trade with you.  That's how I'd probably handle this situation as a breeder.  If the breeder knows the folks you hired to break them, get them to call the breeder on your behalf and offer an independent opinion.

I've got little kids showing and you just have to be real careful on what you get for them.  I would not buy one that is already that big that hasn't been messed with.  On my boys calves, I start on them when they are 3-4 months old.  And "gentleness" has to be a real big criteria on the ones we keep for them.  

The biggest suggestion I have for you is don't let your kids mess with new calves until they are halter broken.  First of all, a kid isn't really big enough to do much in the way of halter breaking until they are way up into junior high at the earliest.  Secondly, a calf - especially one this big with a wild tendency - sees a kid their size as a target, not something to respect.  I'm all for making kids do as much of the work as possible, but in my opinion its a mistake to let a kid get in a situation that an unbroken calf can get to them or otherwise learn they can do what they want.

Finally, (and I hope I don't get myself in trouble on this one) if this is an "eared" heifer, this kind of stuff just happens with them.  When you get them broke, they can be the gentlest ones there are.  But getting them broke can be "interesting".  Go get you a gentle british breed or Maine heifer.

DL

Called breeder early and told him of problems.  He suggested taking to someone that breaks professionaly. In good faith we did this for a 30 day period and an additional cost of $400. 

This to me is the real tip off that this guy doesn't give a dam* about you, your kid or the calf.

Chambero- unless there are really unusual circumstances shipping an unweaned calf, or a calf weaned less that a week or 2 shows to me that this person does not care about the welfare of the calf, the stress on the calf or the immunity of the calf

I know things are different in your neck of the woods - up here cake is for people ;)

aggie gal - I don't see anything fishy here - but I would suggest ship the sucker, be done with her and him, and focus on the temperament of the next calf not the pedigree so your son can have a great experience

chambero

DL - True Story.

A few years ago my oldest son's first grade teacher (a first year "City" girl teacher) sent my wife an e-mail expressing concern that my boy was being very argumentative with her during a lesson that cows eat "cake" not hay.  He's never seen his Papa feed a bit of hay to the cows, but plenty of "cake".  She was politely educated on the subject.

farwest

Chambero, very well put. Small kids can have a negative effect on a calf that hasn't seen a lot of human beings in his life. Also. Yes.  Cake is for cattle in the middle of cow country.

GONEWEST

I think we need a BBB for the cattle industry. But I don't think there is a legal case at all. I am sure it would be classed a "buyer beware" situation. However just because it is legal sure doesn't mean it was ethical. If there were a BBB for this industry, maybe their would be ramifications to those who insist on doing business this way. People will say that it will catch up with them, but it never does. We all know people at the top of their profession who use unethical business practices and they seem to always find a new "mark" or two. Maybe in this profession more than some. If he won't take the calf back, outside of an old fashioned tar and feathering, I think you're just stuck.

aj

This is off subject a little but......I would like to see in catalogs"We gaurenty that animals are th free or whatever. That is above the test. Cause if there is a mixup in animals tested or something I want assurance that it wasn't a case wherejoe said tom said linda tested calf but maybe they tested the wrong animal.....I don't know. I'm tired of catalogs that make you feel stupid cause you have to ask for bwts or pha standings and whatnot. If you buy cattle from traders and not reputable breeders you don't stand a chance out of the box.

Vacanballs

Were there no signs of this heifer being a little goofy when you loaded this heifer? I find it hard to believe that she she loaded right up and just stood calmly in the trailer when you closed the gate. You assume this kind of risk anytime you buy an animal(especially one that is not already broke). I'm not taking up for this breeder that you deal with, but if you do not have the facilities or the time to break one, you might want to buy one that is halter broke and not as tempermental. You would never win a suit against this breeder and WHY would you put your children in the pen with her??????????? Please think when putting children in harms way.

DLD

I don't see any particular "red flags" in your description of buying the heifer.  Having to coax the cows into the lot is not at all unusual or an indication that they're wild.  Our cows are very gentle, but they're not used to being driven.  They're "cake broke" (a very common term in this part of the world) meaning they'll follow you just about anywhere if you look or sound like you're going to feed them.  Also, I've bought and sold calves right off the cow many times.  It's not what I prefer, but often if you're a considerable distance from home and you're there with a trailer, it's much easier than coming back for them.  I've also bought them right off the cow 10 miles from home, because I know they'll get better health care and nutrition from me than from the breeder.

All that said however, I do believe that if the breeder knew you were buying a show calf for a 9 year old, he should have taken the responsibility to help you get a gentle one.  If I'd sold you the heifer, I would have taken her back and tried to break her myself, or traded you for another (gentler) one. The exception there would be the couple of times that a buyer assured me they could break anything - if they say that though, I make it clear that they're on their own.  But, sadly, unless he agreed to make sure you got one the 9 year old could show, there's really not alot that you can do.  I  wouldn't blame you if you wanted to tell the world he did you wrong, but it probably won't do him much harm in the long run.

I'd agree with trying loading her up and taking her back to him.  It might not do any good, but it never hurts to try.  If not, dump her out in your pasture or at the sale barn on the way home and count it as a lesson learned.

chambero

If the heifer is still in good shape, he loses nothing by taking her back and giving you another one.  I'm guessing you might could work that deal out of you go to the trouble to show up with her.  It's one thing talking over the phone, its another talking face to face with someone if they can tell you just aren't griping to be griping.

mark tenenbaum

You should acknowledge your phone call in a certified letter-stating your reasons. You may not want to publicise the exact name of this dirtball-because you would have slim but possible liablities. General District court would probably sost less than $100-filing and notification-its up to him to prove he made no guarantees. O0

LN

If the heifer has great breeding and looks good, then wouldn't the breeder want her back if you were going to take her to the sale barn?

I'm surprised the breeder doesn't want to make your situation right. Especially for a nine year old that could be a repeat customer for many many years.

I don't see anything wrong with the situation you described, sounds like every other large breeder in Texas. We use cake too to call cows up.

farwest

It has been said a few times in this thread that this family involved is so called cattle people. Well I consider myself a cattle person and would never consider taking a calf to a so called professional to have it broke.  If I am a so called cattle person I can do the job as well as any one.  Its not rocket science.  I thought the professions was left for the fitters and clippers 

chambero

farwest said:
It has been said a few times in this thread that this family involved is so called cattle people. Well I consider myself a cattle person and would never consider taking a calf to a so called professional to have it broke.  If I am a so called cattle person I can do the job as well as any one.  Its not rocket science.  I thought the professions was left for the fitters and clippers 

I don't think that's very fair to say.  There's a million situations this could apply.  Maybe mom is the primary the person helping her kids with their calves.  My wife is as tough as anyone and knows her way around with everything from bulls to babies, but I wouldn't want her trying to break out 500 lb calves with only the kids for help.  Some people just don't have the facilities to handle an ornery one.  Most ornery ones starting out can be broke out just fine.  The trick is to be able to confine one where you can catch them easy and work them in the right sized area they can't get away.  Plenty of people don't have that.

There's a lot to be said for knowing when to go find help - regardless of what aspect of showing it is.

farwest

This is true and I believe it was stated the breeder recommended it.  I would be interested to know pedigree on this calf. I would definitely take her back and replace her and keep her if she had a good bloodline.

knabe

watching a couple of kids is tough enough without adding the distraction of getting a calf caught, halving it charge etc., telling the kids to stay out of the way, making sure they are out of the way, making sure they are not pouting that they got told to get out of the way, handling their trepidation, trying to figure out the calf etc, trying to explain to a child they don't have enough strength to hold a calf that wants to get away, on and on.  

i'm starting a little with my daughter who is 7 and can't show yet (in CA), but am breaking the calves for a girl, and i gotta say, paying attention to more than a calf is a little taxing, especially trying to talk someone into trying it.

farwest

My ten year old has handled some from the first day. And then there's the next one that I can tell by the way their acting that this is no kid project for a feww weeks. It may take time. But if their sometnin that you definitely need broke I'm not gonna make the situation go in reverse by insisting this is totally a youth project.  To each his owne

Jill

Ones that we raise that have been penned and fed at the barn are usually gentle enough for my kids to mess with.  I have not ever purchased a calf that I would let my kids try and lead until it is broke good enough for them to handle it, this may be a family project, but it doesn't do anyone any good to have a kid that is scared of the calf or a calf that knows it can get away from a kid. 
I actually have never heard of a someone that breaks them professionally, but I can tell you I wouldn't have paid 400 to have a calf broke.  There is usually a pretty good indication of onery ones from how they act when you walk around them and how they load in a trailer, kind of like the calf that is too straight that 3 months down the road it's all the breeders fault because the calf can't walk and no one can figure out why, someone needs to pay attention to what you are picking out and if the calf was tame (as would be indicated by 2 trips to the breeder with the ag agent) then I would ask myself what at my place this calf is spooked by.