Opinions on PB Charolais heifer. What do you think of her?

Help Support Steer Planet:

rtmcc

This is our daughters bred and owned PB Charolais heifer for this next year.  She is a January 09 Lead On out of a Baldrige Kojack first calf heifer.  The Minnesota Beef Expo next weekend will be her first real outing besides being reserve prospect calf at our county fair this summer.

You can be brutally honest.  Thats why we put her on here.

Thanks!
Ron
<cowboy>

Attachments

• 100_5278.JPG
    100_5278.JPG
    590 KB · Views: 247

WannaBPlayN

Seems really big. Is that how charolais are? Clean throat and nice hip structure. Like her apparent width.

rtmcc

WannaBPlayN said:
Seems really big. Is that how charolais are? Clean throat and nice hip structure. Like her apparent width.

She looks bigger in the picture but she is being held by a pretty small girl which may make her look bigger.  I was concerned she may not be big enough in the January class.
Thanks for the response.

nlgriff

I think she looks really good.  And the fact that you guys raised her yourself is awesome.  Goodluck at the Expo!

Show Steaks

I like her at least you will have a heck of a cow at the end of her show career. too many of those big time winners never can produce a calf..... really like how she seems smooth made and really blends, great job feeding her i consider her perfectly conditioned but that could just be hair

Telos

I think when you get a Charolais with that much depth and is as soft made as she appears in the photo then you've probably got a great one that will be very competitive. Those kind of heifers are not easy to come by and good luck with her. She should do very well.

rtmcc

Thanks for all the nice comments.  Here is a picture of her grand dam who was Caroline's first show heifer.  She is an Oahe wind out of a blizzard cow.  She was grand or reserve Char every time out including state fair and Beef Expo.
<cowboy>

Attachments

• MBE Star & Caroline.jpg
    MBE Star & Caroline.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 273

olsun

My first comment would be WOW what a wonderful LITTLE show person on the halter. Now for the heifer, I have never seen a perfect animal. That said, from the pivture, I might smooth up her shoulder a little, and make her a tic more feminine in her look. What I really mean is, she belongs in the front pasture anywhere she goes. I like her a lot. Good luck in the ring. Earl

forbes family farms

Very outstading calf if i would change her any way i would make her a little more feminine and make her more smooth through out the shoulders. She is a front pasture kind of cow. She should do very well at the Minnesota Beef Expo  that's for sure. What a great little showman on the halter. They both should do very outstanding at the expo. Good luck and have fun.

SWMO

Your daughter has a very nice female.  Good feed job the heifer is definately in the right shape to show.  As said previously in a post it looks like in this pic that her shoulders could say in a bit better.  I would say that you will do well with her.  Are you taking her to the JR Nationals?  She should do well in the Bred and Owned division.

lowann

I like her!! She is going to make a tremendous cow! One day I'm going to have a Charolais in my herd. I have always wanted one.
Let us know how she does up there. Good luck!!! <beer>

PLKR

Very much the type of Char heifer I would like to find...very square hipped, nice muscle shape, deep bodied, and moderate (at least for a Charolais). Most Chars will have a bit of shoulder, but don't always have the rest of the qualities this heifer has...if you get tired of looking at her, let me know!  lol

SouthWest

Beautiful heifer.  Very nice pic.  When people ask why we do what we do, show them this pic of the smile on your daughter.  Congrats!  I'd put the heifer  in my herd in a heartbeat.

rtmcc

Freddy said:
You have a real nice heifer there out of Lead- on , she is very smooth made heifer with nice front.  Did Lead-on downher or take away any frame .....
Freddy, I think Lead On may have down sized her a bit.  May have to wait until she is mature to really know .  Biggest thing he did is soften up and ad depth of body.  Redalen's had a Lead On out of RCC Cold Front's dam (who is also the great grand dam of this heifer) this fall.  I saw him when he was a few days old and he seemed to have this same soft cool look.  I need to check him out again one of these days.
Thanks for the comments!

rtmcc

Here is a picture of the heifer's dam I found.  Baldrige kojack X Oaha  wind.
<cowboy>

Attachments

• IMG_6313CarolineM2.jpg
    IMG_6313CarolineM2.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 141

rtmcc

Well,  Beef Expo is over for another year and it went great!  Caroline's Charolais heifer won her class and was Reserve Grand Charolais heifer to the Zender family's big March yearling by Firewater.  The Zender's heifer is VERY good and we were very happy to stand reserve to her with a calf.  To those that questioned our calf's size. She almost looked small in her class.

Our family had a great Expo all the way thru.  Caroline was CH junior showmanship and 7 yr old Bodie ended up 4th overall in that division.  Our March Angus hfr showed by Jorli Hauge won her class and Caroline's B/O Feb Lookout hfr was second in class to the eventual Gr Ch shown by the Perferst family (SMURF on SP).  Bodie was 2nd with his B/O Simmi hfr by DJ Solution and did a great job of showing for our "little guy."

Supreme heifer was Joseph O'Sullivans Short Horn and Reserve was the Braun family's Maine.  Supreme sale heifer went to our good friends at Redalen Cattle Co. with a March PB Simmi by Dream On.  She was purchased by the Nelson and Brown families and went on to win the Simmental Show on Sunday.

Didn't get any great pictures back yet from the back drop but will try to post them when we do.  Here is some candids of Caroline and Star Bright.

Again, thanks for all the great comments.

Ron
<beer> <cowboy>

Attachments

• 100_5328.JPG
    100_5328.JPG
    622.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_5329.JPG
    100_5329.JPG
    575.4 KB · Views: 143

WFCC

looks to be square made, deep and soggy, and has that overall brood cow look to her! cross with with who made who, seems to be what they are using on charolais.