Opinions on Simmental bulls for 2013

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

What else are you looking for besides calving ease?
Just off the top of my head; Amigo, Beef Maker... two totally different types of bulls but both calving ease.

Till-Hill

I'm just think off top of my head but just seen new pic of Redestined on Select Sires beef site. I was impressed enough to order 5. He is 3/4 but maybe worth a look.

I have one heifer in particula

My red heifer she is very straight through the back thick but a little tight in the cinch area.

CE 8.5
Brth 3.8
Wean 69.8
Year 98.5
Stay 17.3
Marb 0.10
BF -0.10
API 103.3
I keep going back to WS High Stakes W115 for my heifer but have not seen or heard anything about progeny. Anyone know anything? I really like this bull as an option to cross with my heifer
Her dam is a TNT Cruiser cow First two pictures are of TNT Cruiser Cow at 11yrs old last picture is of red heifer

Attachments

• grandmacow2.jpg
    grandmacow2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 168
  • GrandmaCow.jpg
    GrandmaCow.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 170
  • Ginger.jpg
    Ginger.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 196

leanbeef

I REALLY LIKE the NEW picture of GW Redestined! I was glad to see Select Sires finally has a new photo of that bull. I can't say I was crazy about him based on the old picture they were using, but he looks like a different bull in this one. He'd still make purebreds out of purebred females, and we've had pretty good success with some of the Gateway bulls over the years.

I like the Beef King bull at Genex. I don't know if those bulls make show babies or if that's even in your game plan, but he seems like a sensible bull with a lot of good in him to me. I like the look of him better than his daddy, and that's how it's supposed to be...every generation should get better than the one before. Beef Maker looks great on paper...I can't say I like him quite as much in his photo, but he seems to be working for a lot of people, especially if you're more production-minded or commercially oriented.

I noticed a dark red bull on Cow Camp's website the other day called CCR Red Line...he's a Pacesetter out of a Built Right...also with Genex. That bull kinda made me think I might use a bull like that if I was breeding some red ones. He's about breed average for birth weight, and his numbers are solid and balanced but not extreme in any category. Personally, I'd like to see a little more API there, but I kinda like that pedigree for making females, and he's DARK red.

A lot of people around here also like the Amigo bull. He seems to make nice phenotype, but his milk EPD is terrible...what are those daughters like in production?

From a phenotype standpoint, I love the Red Iron bull at ABS, but he doesn't quite stack up on paper compared to the Beef Makers. He may be smaller framed or earlier maturing than some people like, and he's kinda average for calving ease and birth weight, but not terrible. I'd love to see a group of heifers out of a bull like that.

I am breeding for more show prospects, that was my concern because I do not see a lot of Beef Maker offspring competing :) I am not against using black on my red heifer either I just like the reds a lot.Or even using black bull that carries red...

leanbeef

simmentalshowgirl said:
I am breeding for more show prospects, that was my concern because I do not see a lot of Beef Maker offspring competing :) I am not against using black on my red heifer either I just like the reds a lot.Or even using black bull that carries red...

Well, if you don't mind a black one, and you know your heifer is a non-diluter, then you might think about a heterozygous black bull. That opens up a LOT more options. But it also complicates your decision making process quite a bit, too. If you really, really want a red calf, then I would look for the best red bull I could find. I happen to really like both the Redestined bull and Beef King...maybe you don't see a lot of those being shown, but maybe you'd have a heifer that was more than JUST a show heifer after her yearling summer year...

If you want to be as competitive as you can be and you're not concerned with Amigo's low milk EPD, then I would probably look at him pretty hard.

bbsf

If you have access to Simmental website go check out the current EPDs of a bull reg # 2539082.  We own him and have semen stored at Genex in Strafford Mo.

CE 16,  BW -1.1,  MCE 11.8,  Stay 25.5,  Doc 11.9,  YG -.36,  MARB .43,  REA 1.16,  SHR -.50,  API  157,  TI 81 
2%,      4%            15%            5%                20%        10%        1%            1%            2%            1%            1%

You have not seen very many of his calves in the show ring yet but those that are have been winners.  Champion bull calf and champion cow/calf pair at OEF 2012.  Will try to attach picture of the cow calf pair.  Bull calf weighed 801 weaning.

Attachments

• JS First Lady and BBSF Fortress.jpg
    JS First Lady and BBSF Fortress.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 302