Opinions on this guy please!

Help Support Steer Planet:

CUTK

He's a november, 2008 bull. Came out at 81 lbs and his 205 was 703lbs  He's out of our Habanero/draftpick Son x with a commercial angus cow.  I was just wondering if you guys think he looks good enough to give him a shot or just send him to the butcher!

Thanks

Attachments

• #1-2.jpg
    #1-2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 152

Bulldaddy

Looks a little shallow flanded to me but it may just be the photo.  Nothing exceptional about the bull  but, once again, the photo may not do him justice. 

Telos

I think he looks pretty good. He's rugged and appears to have good feet and legs and not too straight. Draftpick and Habanero are usually good cattle and those genetics are popular with many cattle people.

LUKE

I wouldn't send him to the butcher, if you don't have a use for him someone else might. We had a bull that resembled him quite a bit, and he threw pretty good calves. At that time we had mostly chi-angus and chi-maine-angus cows, and he was a powerplant son.

knabe

draft pick has a very high marbling epd with decent accuracy for a maine.  a while back i had a direct draft pick steer out of a direct midas cow, he had about .5 backfat with some marbling.  i would have graded him choice minus  bear in mind, i have NO training grading carcass other than a meat class in college and taking pictures of ribeyes for three years and guessing using previously graded carcasses on about 250 cattle/year.

draft pick's marbling epd is one reason i am keeping some of his sire around.  his grandsire doesn't appear to be a high marbling sire for a maine, but he has other qualities, such as very strong mothering.  annoying thing about draft pick is probably calving ease, as his sire looks like he sucks at it.

the other thing about the draft pick steer, he was a puppy dog with very little handling.

dori36

CUTK said:
He's a november, 2008 bull. Came out at 81 lbs and his 205 was 703lbs  He's out of our Habanero/draftpick Son x with a commercial angus cow.  I was just wondering if you guys think he looks good enough to give him a shot or just send him to the butcher!

Thanks

It's always hard to make really good observations/comments just from a picture, but from the picture, his front seems to overshadow his backend.  I'd like to see a shapier round and more muscle expression all around.  I know he's just a yearling so has more growth to get, but I'd sure like to see a picture from behind.  I also would like to see a deeper flank.  He's pretty fancy up front, though, and on the right (thick) cow could give you some freaky fronts and fancy show calves.

CUTK

Well we decided that were not gonna keep him, but if there is someone thats wants to give him a shot just let me know!