Opinions on this heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

canadiancowgirl101

I was wondering if i could have your opinions on this simmental angus heifer... Thanks a Bunch!!!

Attachments

• 0055.jpg
    0055.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 288

OH Breeder

I think the female has some positive things going for her. At first glance she may appear to be common. BUT, I think there are enough freak fronted bulls to extend her front and lengthen her body. She has nice depth of rib and looks pretty easy fleshing.

TMJ Show Cattle

I've seen some "common" one's that were a little more "common" than her,throw some awfully good calves.

jbzdad

I think she is thick in the neck and shoulders and not massive enough thru the hips, I know simmi's are not as clean fronted but I think she looks unbalanced , her neck and shoulders over balance her hips.I think she probably has adequate depth of rib. I dont know how thick she is without a rear shot... this opinion is NOT the opinion of an expert but isince you asked I offered it

I would like an opinion from the other readers about what bull to breed her to to help clean up her front...and help balance her out? Calberta Black impact?

tlcattle

i'd like to see her front end cleaned up and see her with more length in her neck. other than that she looks to be a good heifer and should throw some pretty deep calves!

mike

Just a word of advice , I wouldnt leave a comb on the ground that close to your calf, that is a very easy way to get one hurt.

shortyjock89

tlcattle said:
why are you using a curry comb on her anyways??

Probably to get the poo offa her.  It's awfull cold in Canada to be gettin the calves in daily to get them clean. 

vc

I would venture to guess she is not near as unbalanced as she appears, the angle of the picture is going to distort the animal. Try taking some better pictures and re post.

Knabe has posted several times on the propper way to photograph an animal, i would do a search for those post and try again.

canadiancowgirl101

Ok heres a better picture.... her shoulders may look a little different because her neck and head is clipped.. and it isnt blended. Thanks Again

Attachments

• 999.jpg
    999.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 237

canadiancowgirl101

I was wondering why you say that... because shes ugly... or because you dont like showing cattle..???
cowman said:
canadiancowgirl101 said:
I was wondering if i could have your opinions on this simmental angus heifer... Thanks a Bunch!!!

Not trying to be mean here but I've been there and done that...open the gate and put her back in the feedlot.

knabe

completely separate from the emotion of her being your heifer,

what do you think her strengths/ weaknesses are?

here's mine.

she's fine boned, camps under,short thick necked, plain headed, rough topped.  seems to carry down some thickness in her quarter for a simmi.  has some volume, but may not carry it back well.  kinda has a classic mongrel dog look, which to me leans towards the more terminal. 

that said, you probably raised her out of your family's bull you purchased out of a cow you own which is more than can be said for some people.

BCCC

I would say keep her. Breed her to Who Made Who, and you may be suprized at what you get out of her. I have a Simmy cross, that looked ALOT like your except maybe a tad smoother shouldered. I had a a really nice bull calf out of her that has already been sold and its only a febuary calf. Its probaly not an option for her to just go sell it and buy a better calf, sometimes you just gotta work with what you have/given to ya. Good luck with her

knabe

BCCC said:
I would say keep her. Breed her to Who Made Who, and you may be suprized at what you get out of her.

that's a good idea.  go look at the website of your complainer and critique his cattle.  if he's been there, done that, he could go a few more places. 

canadiancowgirl101

ok well thanks a lot guys... i do have more heifers to pick from... i guess i kinda got caught up in it all because of her depth :-\

canadiancowgirl101

Cowman when u made tha
canadiancowgirl101 said:
ok well thanks a lot guys... i do have more heifers to pick from... i guess i kinda got caught up in it all because of her depth :-\
t comment.. i wasnt upset... i just wanted to know why.... I was the one that asked for opinions... and i got them. Sorry if you understood differently.

OH Breeder

Okay, I don't know the specific breeding on this heifer. BUT, she ain't that bad. Many said Meyer was horrible back in the day and wouldn't use him. If you have a vested interest in her try a good bull like northern improvement and see what happens. I have one cow that is nothing to look at and yet she has some of our best steer calves and they have always done well. Take it all in stride. I have seen ALOT worse. Wait on the clubby bulls til you get a live calf.
On the neck, like you said, work on blending the hair on top line. The steirwalt video's are a valuable!

canadiancowgirl101

yeah i went to one of his clinics it was very good .. does anyone have a link to any of his videos for sale?? i was loo
OH Breeder said:
Okay, I don't know the specific breeding on this heifer. BUT, she ain't that bad. Many said Meyer was horrible back in the day and wouldn't use him. If you have a vested interest in her try a good bull like northern improvement and see what happens. I have one cow that is nothing to look at and yet she has some of our best steer calves and they have always done well. Take it all in stride. I have seen ALOT worse. Wait on the clubby bulls til you get a live calf.
On the neck, like you said, work on blending the hair on top line. The steirwalt video's are a valuable!
king but i couldnt find them

OH Breeder

What is the breeding on your heifer? What simmi lines and what angus lines? Do you know?

I know Stierwalt has a clipping video and a fitting and grooming video. Sullivan Supply has them or go to his website.