Opinions please!

Help Support Steer Planet:

flyintale

Pic #1......This is an Aftershock/Irish Whiskey, born March of 2010. 
Pic #2......Grizzly/Who Made Who heifer born March of 2010
Pic #3.....A heifer that is out of a Meyer 734 cow and Campbello herd bull, born in April of 2010

I purchased these lovely ladies from a friend in Ohio back in December.  This past May I had them AI bred to Ali.  I am hoping for a good set of calves!  I am not sure if the heifer in the third pic took :(  She just seem to be filling out the same as the others. 
I would love to hear what you think! I grew up on a dairy farm, so I am new in the beef realm!  I have high hopes for my future in the beef and show industry.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• Whiskey.jpg
    Whiskey.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Grizzie.jpg
    Grizzie.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Bell.jpg
    Bell.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 165

ALTSIMMY 79

Nice set of heifers and i agree the middle one takes the cake ! That last heifer needs to be bred to a deep deep deep bodied bull , from a structure standpoint she looks good but is quite lacking in the middle , dont take it personally as i have a couple just like her in my pasture.

flyintale

Thank you for your comments.  I appreciate all input!  Any bull suggestions?  Definitely looking for calving ease!

ALTSIMMY 79

Personally I would go purebred Angus for the calving ease and with all the chrome on that Meyer heifer you might get a real good lookin blaze face calf ! Take your pick as there are lots to choose from. BC Lookout might just work , I had one out of a Meyer 734 grandaughter weighed 63 lbs at birth !

AAOK

I see some potential for production in the bald face heifer.  The first two need to be fed-out and wind up in somebody's freezer.

mooch

AAOK said:
I see some potential for production in the bald face heifer.  The first two need to be fed-out and wind up in somebody's freezer.
What a terrible comment. You might be a little out of touch with the industry.

twistedhshowstock

I agree that the middle heifer is the best of the bunch, structurally they are all good, there is more power in the top and middle heifers, but honestly I think when talking about prodcuctivity, for me a truly productive cow is one that has a big middle in her,gives her room to grow a calf and room to take in feed to convert to milk to raise that calf, and honestly I think both the top and bottom heifers are lacking in that area, and while I agree the middle heifer is byfar the best of the three, I wouldnt call her a powerhouse in that area either, but I think she is far more adequate than the other 2.
But that being said, breed them to the right bull and there could be potential in all of them.

flyintale

AAOK said:

I was also a little shocked by this comment.  I did ask for all comments, but I was not expecting anything to this nature. But...however this is your opinion....

I am still looking for 'the right bull' ;)  Suggestions are welcome!
I will be changing their feed ration soon, so I am hoping that will help in a few areas that these heifers seem to be lacking.
Thank you for all the comments so far! Keep them coming....though not all are positive, I would like to know where I need to change things. I learn more everyday!  These girls are my foundation....we all have to start somewhere