Opinions wanted on this heifer!

Help Support Steer Planet:

WB

I would appreciate any and all opinions on this heifer. My first 4H beef project, i've shown longhorns for almost 5 years now, but this heifer is definitely a different level lol.

She is a DMCC Limited Edition, out of a BKRI Trendsetter out of a cow who is a  Hall's Legacy Plus X Pannell Miss 4072

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 859

WB

Sorry having trouble with the photo

Attachments

• Missy.JPG
    Missy.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 230

WB

This picture is more recent (taken yesterday) and higher quality. Both are just phone pics though. Sorry about the quality.
If I dont get a reply on this thread this time i'll just leave it alone :)

Attachments

• Latest Edition 2.jpg
    Latest Edition 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170

SSIMMENTALS

I think she'll be a good startup heifer for you. (thumbsup) I like her neck extension. She's strong and square across her top and hip.Looks like she's the type that will get better as you go rather than wow you now and dissapoint you in the end. If I could change her, I'd give her a more level underline; pull that heart girth and flank down to where the center of her belly reaches. Also I wouldn't mind setting her down on a tick stouter bone. Overall, I'd say she's a good, no extremes female who will be an ok show heifer and then make you a  nice cow.

WB

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I really do appreciate them. Any tips on the underline? Just being careful when I breed her?

savaged

WB said:
Thank you very much for your thoughts. I really do appreciate them. Any tips on the underline? Just being careful when I breed her?

If you are breeding for cross-bred club calves, I would breed her to something like Eye Candy.  He'll not jack her up any more, add middle, bone, and hair.

SSIMMENTALS

Some others may be better able to help you, but I would say feed and time will be your friend there. As she gets more condition she will probably drop her flank. Make sure you take the time to grow good hair on her underline and clip her to make her look as straight across the bottom as possible. Also work that leg hair.  O0  We feed beet pulp to our girls to add more rib volume. She's still young and green, so it may not really be a problem, I'm just describing her as I see her today.

WB

I'm still not really sure how I will be breeding her, except as of now her first calf will most likely end up being by ZNT Montego Bay. But I do love the looks of eye candy! And I was definitely curious as to if he would work.

Ah gotcha! Any tips on the underline hair? Like taking care of it, just brushing? And what do y'all do for leg hair? Right now im just using a rice root brush and a comb and pulling the hair up, but I might go ahead and ivest in a roto brush, is if worth it?

savaged

WB said:
I'm still not really sure how I will be breeding her, except as of now her first calf will most likely end up being by ZNT Montego Bay. But I do love the looks of eye candy! And I was definitely curious as to if he would work.

Ah gotcha! Any tips on the underline hair? Like taking care of it, just brushing? And what do y'all do for leg hair? Right now im just using a rice root brush and a comb and pulling the hair up, but I might go ahead and ivest in a roto brush, is if worth it?

Just to be sure - I was looking down the road - do NOT breed her to Eye Candy as a heifer, or even her second calf for that matter.

WB

Dont worry! I definitely have bigger Plans for this girl then to kill her by breeding her to anything with HW influence in those first 2 calves

AAOK

I see your heifer as a potential great one.  As evidenced by her breeding, the breeder certainly knows Maine-Anjou genetics.  Forget the Roto Brush except for show time, but wear out several Rice Root brushes along the next year and a half.  As others have said, if this heifer is properly Fed & Groomed daily she will continue to get better even after her first calf.  This heifer looks like a Breeding Heifer should, not like most of what we regularly see, which should be classified as Market Heifers.  Her bone mass is very adequate for her frame.  Judging only from two dimensions, she is very correct, and balanced.  Her flank will drop, but the genetics here will require her to be on a low protein, high energy ration, otherwise she will get too tall, long and lanky. I don't know what kind of money you have in her, but this would be a high dollar calf at most any Okla or Texas Sales.  Treat her with a lot of TLC.  With the proper care, she will make you some money.  I have below a couple of pictures of a heifer bred somewhat similar to your calf - Polleroid X Fr Magic.  Notice the difference between her first show at 6 months, and her last at 24 months.  Please PM me for more info.
kalli6mos.jpg

kalli5.jpg