Opinions wanted:

Help Support Steer Planet:

Researching speech topic:  Largest obstacle for young agriculturalists is the negative media coverage of the Ag industry. 

Agree or disagree?

Thoughts please.

linnettejane

disagree...i think the largest obstacle for young people in agriculture today is the $$$...having a family farm handed down vs. having to go out and buy a farm...we fall into the category of having to go out and buy a farm...nothing handed down here...and its tough...having to work full time jobs to pay for the farm and then work full time on the farm to try and make it work...but hopefully one day, all the hard work will pay off for our children to reap the benefits from it...but i think thats the largest obstacle facing young agriculturalists...or maybe its more why there isnt an increase in their existence

I was thinking along the lines of the industry as a whole... i.e.  students going into veterinary medicine, agribusiness, communications, ag law, etc... those who are non-entrepreneur agriculturalists.  Money is a problem for nearly everyone currently, but the way I see it is that no matter how tight things get people will always need to eat... therefore producers will always have a market.

Your insight is valuable, I need a variety of views/opinions on this, so thank you.

lightnin4

Negative media coverage is definately a major battle in all aspects of the ag industry.  I just got my BQA recertification the other night and bad press from organizations like Peta were discussed. A big reason BQA and other programs like it were established is to help prevent some of the negativity against our industry.  Unfortunately, we have to work really hard to prevent or undo damage from PETA (and similar organizations).  They can get anti-beef,agriculture, etc. messages to the public and into our schools by masquerading them as informational articles. 

Telos

Agriculture is getting so corporate that the small entrepreneur must  become very inventive and target more of a boutique niche. That's is why club calf breeders exist. What is sad is that most of these niches that are promoted are somewhat gimmicky and have very little real value as to feeding hungry people.

forcheyhawk

I agree.  Personally, I think each and every student should have to take an agricultural class to learn about how their food is produced.  I don't think enough is being done along those lines and you are starting to see with each new generation a further disconnect between the informed and the uninformed as far as food production.  I think far too many people see animals as pets because the only exposure they have to livestock is their dog or cat or even horse.  They don't realize the value that each meat producing animal provides.  There are some that are extreme enough that you'll never get through to them.  However, I think you could really get through to more young people in the inner cities by providing educational opportunities that they may not currently have.  Just some thoughts I've had.