Opinions?

Help Support Steer Planet:

CameronW

This is an April 29th crossbred heifer. She's out of a herd bull that's registered Maine or Maintainer and a Capiche first calf heifer. She weighed 518 on Friday pretty empty. I'm looking for any opinions and thoughts on who to breed to this summer.

Attachments

• 20141129_133502.jpeg
    20141129_133502.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 247

Spencer10218

She is pretty small and a little early to make the call on who to breed her to but I would lay the feed to her and clip her up real nice. I think she will make a good cow. But on suggestions on breeding I would go Jesse James and I am a big fan of indian Outlaw lately

CameronW

I know it's early but I'm trying to get ideas so I have it set early on and have a plan. I've considered Jesse James and Jakes Proud Jazz mostly and Rumor Mill as well. And she is currently on full feed trying to get her weight up. But she's also not going to be a huge cow when she's fully grown. But thanks.

diamonddls

Nice hefier . Should make a nice cow. Rumor mill might be a nice cross on her. Montego bay is another bull I find intriguing that looks to be hefiers friendly

Spencer10218

You could also do some research and try to through a nice blue roan which would be easier to sell, especially if its registered. You could also look into starburst bull and FSF has a couple other nice bulls such as hardline, bearcat, warpaint, and powerline

jbzdad

I think I-80 will give you a little more depth...I would consider him also... I used Armada (an I-80) son out of a 1/2 simmental to try to get more depth... calves are due in march

Shorthorns4us

Are you set on using a clubby type bull?
If you know she is not going to be a big heifer/cow in her life-- I would definitely go with the moderate route on a 1st calf by using a LBW Red Angus-- give her a good experience to start with a live calf and then use the clubby routine on her after she has a year under her belt.
"A live calf in the hand 1st year is worth 2 in the bush" 
EF

CameronW

I'm very open to going with a purebred for her. I just want the resulting calf to be worth taking to a show. Her calf and the calf from another heifer I have will most likely be in my last year of 4h show string. If I-80 clicks I like the calves I've seen but I've seen a lot of plain ugly ones so I'm hesitant to use him. Jesse James, Jakes Proud Jazz, Rumor Mill, Ali and Total Solution I have looked into and like the looks of the calves I've seen. She just needs some more depth and power.

Auburnviewfarms

I would stay away from jpj on this one she seems small for day of age. I don't think another shot of him will do much for performance on this one.

CameronW

I would like some suggestions on other shorthorn bulls to use for her. I would like use a purebred shorthorn on both of you heifers eventually.

OH Breeder

I had the opportunity to see Capiche in field this summer on cows. Your female as she develops could get more shoulder if she tracks after her father. I would use Gizmo all day long on heifers. Yes he's about 75-100 a pop. BUT I know I can get a live on out of him. Captain Obvious is back on market and both of those bulls would add rib shape and guts to her. FSF bulls are Jazz sons Bear cat etc. If you want to line breed, Capiche is Jazz son. I would move toward something that is going to take her rib down and smooth that shoulder out a tick. Length of neck is nice and she looks very feminine. OCC Legend and T510 Angus bulls I have used on my shorthorns to get a lively calf and they have some body to them. Northern Improvement is tough to get a hold of these days. If you wanted to risk a clubby, WMW usually for us has been a calving ease option. Total Solution is a WMW son. If you want to stay pure, Red Angus, Shorthorns and Angus have some options, but the Shorthorns and Maines will allow percentage registration and you could breed up. Simmental allows foundation stock as well. I am not a simmi person, so no good here on what would give you what you want. We used Dream on on the one simmi we had. We were pleased with results. What ever you use, INVESTIGATE calving ease and birthweight. Live calf first calf will give you a productive cow.

CameronW

Who would you recommend for a Simmi bull that would work? I've seem a lot of them I've liked but I don't know who is heifer safe.

CameronW

I like No Worries but I don't like the front ends I've seen out of I-80  and is Starburst calving ease?