Optiflex and Showflex

Help Support Steer Planet:

TBCattle1

Has anyone ever used Optiflex or Showflex? We're planning on using it for calves going to San Antonio and don't know anything about it. Any help is appreciated.

vc

Follow the directions, if your steer has any structure problems they will more than likely get worse, if they do not have the fat cover you want now it will be twice as hard to get them where you want them on the flex. If their sound and have plenty of cover it will help give them a little pop.

MCC

Like vc said FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. I don't know about these products but with Optaflex you need to start feeding it 30 day's before slaughter. It won't muscle one up like Zilmax but the quality grade of the carcass will be better. Zilmax you start feeding 21 day's before slaughter and requires a 2 day withdraw period. I don't know if Showflex does or not so you need to read the label. Make sure your cattle are structurally correct enough because it can cripple one. Also any Beta-Agonist can cause bloat.

TBCattle1

Thanks! I figured it worked similar to Paylean in pigs, as far as affecting the soundness, but didn't know much else.