our Christmas present

Help Support Steer Planet:

LazyGLowlines

Look what we found this morning!  He was just outside the pen lying in the only dry spot around.  Not sure if you can see the snow just outside the pen, which is very unusual for us here in the northwest!  Mom did a good job getting him warm and dry under very tough conditions.  One thing we really like about lowlines, just go out in the morning and count calves! Thought we'd call him either Kris or Nick...any other suggestions for a christmas calf? 

Attachments

• xmas present 12-25-08.JPG
    xmas present 12-25-08.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 205

TJ

Congrats on the calf!  I didn't name him, but I actually have a bull named St Nick. 

TJ

That one looks like it's one of the smaller ones & I'm curious to hear how much it does weigh.  I'm guessing 30 something pounds, but it's impossible to judge in a photo. 

FWIW, I've had fullblood Lowlines weigh anywhere from about 22 - 52 lbs.  I think the National average is about 45-55  lbs.  I've seen some Lowline birth weights up in the 60's & even a handful in 70's, but I personally try to steer clear of anything over 65 lbs. & I prefer under 60.   I've never had a 1/2 blood Lowline sired calf weigh 70 lbs.   

BTW, the bull in my avatar weighed 48 lbs.  I don't know what he weighs currently, but last fall he topped 1450 @ 48.5 inches tall.  I suspect he's heavier now & might be taller too.  Anyway, I point that out because smaller birth weights can mature into much bigger animals than you think.               

dori36

LazyGLowlines said:
Look what we found this morning!  He was just outside the pen lying in the only dry spot around.  Not sure if you can see the snow just outside the pen, which is very unusual for us here in the northwest!  Mom did a good job getting him warm and dry under very tough conditions.  One thing we really like about lowlines, just go out in the morning and count calves! Thought we'd call him either Kris or Nick...any other suggestions for a christmas calf? 

With a respectful nod to all the other cute calves from all the other breeds, imo there's nothing cuter than a newborn fullblood Lowline calf!  Nice going, Nancy!  Maybe something like LGL Holiday would work?

LazyGLowlines

He weighted in at 41lbs, a little below average for a fullblood Bluey bull calf, the largest natural birth fullblood calves we have had weighted 63 lbs, one was a heifer out of Kindre Dundee and the other was a bull calf out of Robert the Bruce. But you are right average is about 45lbs for a bull and 42 for a heifer.

LazyGLowlines

thanks Dori, I think you are right they are cute ( that may be a bad word to use here) here are a couple of more that were born within the last 3-4 weeks

Attachments

• IMG_1624.JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1632.JPG
    IMG_1632.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 200

dori36

LazyGLowlines said:
thanks Dori, I think you are right they are cute ( that may be a bad word to use here) here are a couple of more that were born within the last 3-4 weeks

Gotta love those little Blueys!  Um, are they both by Bluey?

LazyGLowlines

Yes, all by Bluey.  We're pretty impressed with his calves, including these December babies.  Dori, are you going to Denver?  We're bringing a whole bunch of Bluey calves with us, including (1) red bull.

dori36

LazyGLowlines said:
Yes, all by Bluey.  We're pretty impressed with his calves, including these December babies.  Dori, are you going to Denver?  We're bringing a whole bunch of Bluey calves with us, including (1) red bull.

Not going this year.  Bummer!  It's just such a pilgrimage from Michigan!  It was much easier when I lived in Wyoming!  The whole cattle 'thing' was easier in Wyoming!  Hope you clean up with your calves!

TJ

dori36 said:
LazyGLowlines said:

With a respectful nod to all the other cute calves from all the other breeds, imo there's nothing cuter than a newborn fullblood Lowline calf!  Nice going, Nancy!  Maybe something like LGL Holiday would work?

They are cute & I too like the cuteness of those 2 red calves. 

RE a name... How bout LGL Feliz Navidad? 

Stihlpro

Nancy,

I can't let my wife see those pictures of the red calf!  She'd love it so much I'd be in trouble!

red

we had one born on Easter earlier this year. Named her Easter. I think Mistletoe would be cute or Holly.

Red

frm_girl

We were trying to think of good Christmas names for our baby , we came up with Leroy as one from the song Leroy the Redneck Reindeer.  (clapping)

LazyGLowlines

dori36 said:
Hey, Nancy, speaking of cute, red calves, were you able to get some good embryos from Brook/Bluey?
Yes, Dori...we flushed her a few times and have some calves due this March. We also bred her to Bluey once we got her home in October.  We should know this spring how the combination comes out.  Didn't Bar J buy your embryos?  I suspect he'll have something on the ground about the same time as us, huh?  It should be a good combination.  We flushed Tulip with the 'other' red bull and had those calves in July.  Then we bred her to Bluey and she had a natural calf a couple weeks ago.  I know he's still young, but he's already impressing me (he's one of the red calves in this post...the one with the yellow tag).  I'm much more impressed with the Bluey calf than the other calves.  Not to say the others are bad...I just think this one is better. Guess only time will tell.

LazyGLowlines

red said:
we had one born on Easter earlier this year. Named her Easter. I think Mistletoe would be cute or Holly.

Red

That's a cute name...we had a heifer born on leap day this year (February 29), plus another born on July 4th.  We couldn't think of a good name for the leap year baby, then her mama died when the heifer was only a month old so we decided to name her after her mama.  The July calf is named 'Liberty', and we call her Libby for short.