our last fair for the year...

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

Well, we had a good day today. The two youngest kids (10 and 8 ) took their show heifer from this year and next year's heifers to an overnight fair. The oldest had to go to Columbia to participate in the 4-H State Judging contest (she placed 4th in the senior division, and her team placed 3rd overall so they get to judge at the American Royal this year!).
Anyway, thought I would show some pics taken today. The first is a 6 month old embryo by Shear Force out of a Drake Lilo cow. She is owned by my middle daughter, and she won Champion Simmental Female (we were surprised because she is so young!). The pic was taken with my phone, so not the best.
The second pic is of my middle daughter's Upgrade heifer she has shown all year and has won a bunch! She was reserve Simmental heifer.
The third pic is my son's heifer for next year, she is a Fat Butt by our Bling cow (Built Right x Drake Lilo). She is just 5 months old and not on grain yet, so she is small and had not developed. I think she has a future, we just need to put some feed into her. She was second in her class.
The last shot is of my son's almost two year old heifer (she is a November). Nothing special, she is a Brooks Warrior and after calving we plan on using her as a recip. Be he loves her and she loves him, so she is fun to show.
The last pic is my daughter going into round robin showmanship. She won the junior showmanship so she had to bring her heifer back and show each species of animals there. She learned a lot with that experience!!! It was a great day, with several honors being taken home and a great relaxing day to end the season with for us  (thumbsup)

Attachments

• jewel sarcoxie phone.jpg
    jewel sarcoxie phone.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 334
  • mulan sarcoxie.jpg
    mulan sarcoxie.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 373
  • faith sarcoxie.jpg
    faith sarcoxie.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 320
  • jackie sarcoxie.jpg
    jackie sarcoxie.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 335
  • rachel round robin.jpg
    rachel round robin.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 377

ruhtram

All the calves look great! Congrats on the good day (clapping)

frostback

Nice set of heifers. The freeze brand on the last looks good. Is it one you did and posted about?

Gators Rule

good days are great!!!  I like the look of your Simmy's...and I'm glad to see your kids having fun and learning!

firesweepranch

frostback said:
Nice set of heifers. The freeze brand on the last looks good. Is it one you did and posted about?

Yep  ;D I think they turned out pretty good (the freeze brands). That is three weeks post branding, if I remember correctly. No hair growth yet, they look like a clean burn brand right now. The one's that ended up in the hair line are missing the part that ended in the unshaven area, so if they do not grow in white we learned that we need to shave a MUCH bigger piece before branding.

Our little heifers were just weaned, so this was their first road trip. They did exceptionally well, with Jewel (the one that won) living up to her name. She never gave my daughter ANY trouble, set up like she was a pro, and loved to show off. The little fat butt heifer still is edgy, bumped my son around a bit, but not bad. She is younger, and not really weaned since she jumps through the hot wire to go back to her dam.  She bawled a bit while there at the show. We are just happy that these heifers are out of our stock, born on our place, halter broke by our kids, and raised and loved by the family. Raising good stock is secondary to putting the family and God first in our lives. The rest just kind of lines up  :)

coachmac

Good Job!  Congrats on the kids doing well!  Rachel seemed to grow up quite a bit this year and did well in the ring.  It looked to me she improved each time she went in the ring and from one parent to another, that is a GREAT thing!