over eating C&D

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Livestock

will giving the cows a blackleg shot at preg check  (oct-nov) help with this or not

aandtcattle

We give our 7way in the fall too and sorry to tell you  but there is very little if any residual maternal benefit to the calf by the time she calves in Feb-March or even January.  I think if you give it closer to calving like 1-2 weeks prior to calving it does help.  When we gave Scour Gard 3KC we gave 7 way then but we have switched to Guardian and don't run our cows thru close to calving except to pour them.  I just give Alpha7 and Convert oral gel at birth and have had zero problems since implementing this protocol.  Convert is some great stuff that is incredibly underutilized.

QMC

Do you know where we could fing more info on the convert oral gel?  gooogled it and nothing came up-- thanks

aandtcattle

I started using Convert 4 years ago and it has been a godsend to say the least.  It is manufactured by Agrarian Products and distributed by Select Sires.  It is a powerful probiotic gel spiked with electrolytes.  Basically in a nutshell it colonizes the gut of the baby calf with "good bacteria" like lacto bacillus etc.  Once the gut is lined with the good bacteria, if anything harmful is introduced to the digestive tract, it has nowhere to attach and goes right thru.  I am not big on scientific explanations and this is purely a layman's description of how the product works.  The electrolyte package in the gel is great for helping the calves get going quickly in cold weather.  If you need more info or want to talk about it call me at 308-760-5695.  I would be more than happy to elaborate on my experience with this product and how it has changed my operation from birth all the way thru post weaning.

Aaron

savaged

I am using Convert this year as well.  Question:  My Select Sires rep left me two tubes when he filled my tank and an order of semen.  It was very cold and I believe the tubes were subjected to freezing temps.  Would this have damaged the product?

aandtcattle

It is best to protect from freezing but I have not had any adverse affects from using gel that has been frozen.  It sure comes out of the tube a lot easier if it isnt froze though! (lol)  Would you agree with me savage that you can tell a distinct difference in the calves awareness and vigor after convert?