Pale Face calving ease?

Help Support Steer Planet:

dcattle

I thought Pale Face was suppose to be wasy calving. Well the other day we had a heifer calve and she was a half blood simmy. She was a bigger framed heifer and the Pale Face calf that she had was proably around 140 lbs. i breed her to it cause i thought it was easing calving but apparently not. So anyways we had to do a C-Section. Changed my thoughts about Pale Face.

Has anybody else used him, what was your luck with him?

OH Breeder

We had the same issue with Kadabara. We later did more research and the heifer was carrying some birthweight in her history. We have used pale face with success not on heifers. Ours was about 85#'s pretty fancy out of Mossy Oak x Chi-ang cow.

dcattle

o alright. ya thats all i had in the tank that i thought i could breed to my show heifers but i guess not. ha  I might have to try that then. And the next morning the calf was dead because i guess the mother laid on it. she had all the room in the world and i guess she wanted to lay there.

RCF Farms

He is definately not calving ease. Have had few freinds breed to him and they were all bigger calves than they thought they would get.

PaPigMan

I bred a heifer to him two years ago.  We ended up with a dead baldy bull calf and a crippled up momma.  I still like the bull, just not for heifers.  Some of the greatest lessons are learned the hard way.

dcattle

That is so true. Do you people have any suggestion to breed heifers to since Pale Face is out and Ali is not to cheap?

OH Breeder

dcattle said:
I thought Pale Face was suppose to be wasy calving. Well the other day we had a heifer calve and she was a half blood simmy. She was a bigger framed heifer and the Pale Face calf that she had was proably around 140 lbs. i breed her to it cause i thought it was easing calving but apparently not. So anyways we had to do a C-Section. Changed my thoughts about Pale Face.

If I were breeding a half blood simmi for calving ease, we used Northern Improvement and had great results. OCC Legend would give you some body, Ali is pricey and was never consistant for us. He threw them small but there wasn't much to them. SS Traveler T510  did a great job on our maine heifers and made some nice females. You could always go with as suggested TLM Bouncer and Money Man for a dfferent twist. We ahve used WMW for the first time and were impressed with the calving ease and the nice replacement. He has a son that lots of clubby folks have used Total Solution and have actually had very saleable calves. Those are just a few. you have a ton of Red Angus bulls that I think are under utilized and could really add to the maternal picture. we used Gizmo on all our Shorthorn first calvers.

nlgriff

We used High Voltage this year on heifers including a smaller framed, clubbier heifer and they all came pretty small but they got up and went after it. 

jbh

dcattle said:

Pale Face was calving ease his first two calf crops......people complaining that the calves were TOO SMALL......then in his third calf crop the wheels feel OFF!  and what happend to you started popping up OCCASIONALLY......

There are still people that use him for calving ease....but I don't recommend it without risk.

farmboy

After I saw him at Dwight's, I saw how much muscle the bull him self carried on a pretty big frame. Definitely not safe for heifers